1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it disrespectful to consider being holy?

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Reverence for Our Precious Lord and the saints has always been a clear priority in my mind. The incredible lives of the saints and the heights of purity, kindness and courage they were able to obtain seems impossible for me to emulate and perhaps even a bit disrespectful to consider that I could do so.

St Mother Theresa of Calcutta said that the very least we should do for Our Lord is to be holy. She also said that people who we find difficult or off-putting are merely Jesus in a difficult disguise. As soon as I do something simple like drive my car into traffic, it seems that I immediately forget her points.

I struggle to follow the examples of such holy people but lately I have been reminded that if I don't believe such behaviors are possible, I will certainly never come close to providing the level of service Our Lord seeks from me. It is hard to believe that I could be a even a patch on the garments of Mother Theresa, St Therese of Lisieux, St. Benedict, St. Augustine or St. Joseph but yet they were humans like the rest of us. Indeed, Christ showed us the most perfect examples of kindness, humility and courage by using only His human strength and human capacity for prayer to the Father.

It seems to me that we are all called to be holy, and it is obtainable for each of us, no matter how incredible such a lifestyle seems to be. I vow to keep trying although I know I have a long ways to go.

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Since the Bible says: "Be ye Holy," it is something I work on. I can start a list of why this practice is good, right, and the way that leads to joy, and others can add to it if they like.
    #1 It leads to blessings
    #2 It keeps me from destruction
    #3 It allows the Holy Spirit to work
    #4 Even if I am not great at it - by trying, I am starting to make progress

3. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

I understand what you are saying.
    I also think like you many times.
    However, I believe that there have been several saints who thought the same way

4. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Fapstronaut

John 15:5

Matthew 19:26

Philippians 4:13