1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I quit social media (and so should you)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by King in the making, Jan 27, 2022.

1. King in the making

King in the making Fapstronaut

Quitting social media is by far the best thing I've done for my mental health, people are always obsessed with their phone notifications, watching fake versions of other people's lives and becoming miserable through comparison, getting extra unnecessary anxiety wondering about the reactions to their new selfie, letting go of their precious privacy for free.

I used TikTok in the past and that's just horrible for your brain because you get used to new dopamine shots every ten seconds, imagine the long term damage of that!

Now the cherry on top is when I see people wearing smart watches, because spending all day on social media isn't enough, right? You need that thing on your wrist blinking and vibrating when you take a shower, when you're having sex, when you're taking a shit with every little like and comment and retweet.

Last but not least, social media is really not a safe environment for expressing your ideas anymore, I've seen people literally lose their jobs over a Facebook post.

I don't feel depressed anymore, I'm now drinking a coke watching the sun rise and I'm just happy I'm living one more day.

2. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

1 week from removing dating apps and any social media.
    Feeling calm.

skybrowser, TheFlash123 and GotCaught like this.
  3. BrighterFuture

BrighterFuture Fapstronaut

Social media is sickening, especially knowing all the children that are growing up thinking it is normal, everything in it is degrading the human brain, it's truly sad, not to mention they're used mainly for revenue and only for revenue, the less you use it, the happier you and everybody around you well become,

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Pitter and The Evangelist like this.
  4. I believe that much of our social strife is due to social media, along with our extreme political divisions. A lot of people thought that social media would bring people together and encourage dialogue. Unfortunately it's divided people more than ever. People have retreated to echo chambers and tribalism has reached dangerous levels. I deleted my social media accounts too and I'm not sure if I'll ever return. I know I've been less stressed since I got rid of them, that's for sure.

Pitter likes this.
  5. How much has your weekly screen time gone down by? I deleted most of my social media but still waste time looking at the news

6. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

The news is so depressing! :(

Pitter and GotCaught like this.
  7. Hell yeah man I agree. I quit social media since 2018. The only thing I have right now is an instagram but I only use it to follow a calisthenics athlete so I can get ideas for workouts. Only use it like 5 mins a day if he uploads something or I message him.
    Tiktok is extremely dangerous. Everyone at my job uses it and keeps scrolling up looking like zombies.

8. Hammond Egger

Hammond Egger Fapstronaut

I love this post. I haven't been on social media in around 10 years now. Me and social media never got along. The times I tried going back lasted only a few hours lol... Constantly looking at other people's "amazing" and "flawless" lives is not my thing at all. There's nothing good that comes out of social media. Its mentally draining and demoralizing. I can't think of anything that causes me more loneliness and suffering.

The pathetic thing is everyone around me is trying to force me to get an instagram or Facebook but I continue to tell them to leave me alone and let me be.

You're considered a weirdo and creep if you don't have a social media nowadays. Society is disgusting.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  9. ImFuture

ImFuture Fapstronaut

I only have an Instagram account where I do upload images of my weed plants (not my face). And I do use Instagram to work, and seek for motivation & inspiration.

Other than that, yes, social media is shit.
    People selling fake versions of themselves, sharing everything they fucking do instead of just enjoying the moment.

I started living freely once I stopped posting every shit I was doing.

10. I have mostly quit social media, and I'm so much happier without it. Quitting tiktok was hard, because I love all the funny videos or cute cats and stuff, but I always end up getting political stuff or things that make me mad or that I end up commenting on and getting in debates, etc. I'm so glad I decided to delete it. I don't miss it at all.

I still have a Facebook, mostly for work-related reasons, but I very rarely go on it, and when I do it's just a brief check, not scrolling forever.

I'm trying to make sure not to make these forums a replacement for the social media I've quit. I've spent quite a lot of time on here today, but I'm going to try to make sure not to waste time on here every day like I used to with social media.

canada123 likes this.
  11. Pitter

Pitter New Fapstronaut

Ever since I started this journey I've removed all social media from my life except for the ones my family and friends use and I use them for that specific reason only. YouTube is a slippery slope because some would call it social media while others would say it's a streaming service, but I've decided to cut that off from my life too.

Oh definitely. When I was on Twitter and Reddit, people would say the most deranged and disturbing things to me just because I had a different opinion or political view. It was honestly so scary to see someone harass me for such a little reason that I became a people pleaser and started removing almost anything on social media that could identify me in any political compass. Luckily I've gotten out of that, but it still kinda stings. Most of the time though, people just say horrible stuff online because they knew it wouldn't slide for a chance if they said it in person.

canada123 and GotCaught like this.
  12. TheLoneWolf88

TheLoneWolf88 Fapstronaut

Facebook was the only one I used and it was constantly bringing me down. All my friends' happiness, plus that my posts weren't getting any responses were like a kick in the balls to me. I disabled my account last summer and I feel so much better. I just can't delete it at this moment as the video game crew I'm in uses Messenger to communicate

canada123 likes this.
  13. Morior Invictus

Morior Invictus Fapstronaut

Big facts alert: Dis a big fact

14. gorl

gorl Fapstronaut

Totally agree with this. I'm not totally removed from the internet unfortunately (as evidenced by my presence here lol) but I definitely don't use any social media sites where I could follow people I know irl. Tiktok is insidious. Literal children are using it! As someone who was terminally online as a young teen, I know where that leads...

15. knug

knug New Fapstronaut

This is interesting to think about. Social media kind of morphs your sense of reality, or your view of it at least, doesn't it? I stopped with reddit and facebook and it changed my world. There is some mental space now that used to be filled with people arguing over things. It's pretty nice to be without.

Yeah! Like there is a deep need to find out if what you said was agreed on or approved in some way. It's tapping into very primal needs and it's dangerous!

I agree with what this guy said. It's weird what people can get away with when they are behind a screen.

Yes! Whenever I say I don't use facebook people distance themselves, like I am a danger to society or something xD