1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Weightlifting Versus Swimming - Different Effects on Mind

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by jcl1990, Apr 25, 2022.

1. jcl1990

jcl1990 Fapstronaut

Okay, so the workout routine I do is this: swim two days, weightlifting two days each week.

I swim because of a back issue and swimming is really good for my back so I can't really stop doing this workout.

However, I notice after weightlifting, that I feel more "manly", more confident, more ready to take action.

I still feel good after swimming, but it is more of a sublime feelings, more calm, more loose, but not as "manly" as after weightlifting.

Why do I feel a difference in feelings after swimming versus weightlifting?

2. Master Builder

Master Builder Fapstronaut

Very simple: you have attached certain perceptions to those activities as they are influencing your bodily sensations ,and they in turn are influencing your feelings.

Even the descriptions of these feelings are a construct based on what you perceive as "manly" and "cool".

So its entirely a subjective experience.

A fat guy might feel "light" after swimming and "clunky" when weightlifting... Its all in your head

capablex100 and jcl1990 like this.
  3. jcl1990

jcl1990 Fapstronaut

Thanks, yea I can see that being true

4. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

Lifting heavy weights makes me feel more manly because you lifting heavy weights

To me, it's common sense.

Cardio such as swimming makes me feel more relaxed because I feel like I left my stress on the road.

Either one makes me feel great, but like lifting weights more lol.

jcl1990 likes this.
  5. jcl1990

jcl1990 Fapstronaut

Thanks haha, yea makes sense

And yea, same here, I feel great after both, just a little different

6. mondays_suck

mondays_suck Fapstronaut

It's a completely different type of workout! Aside from being a cardio, endurance>strength, high intensity swimming is really an anaerobic, even hypoxic exercise (there's only so much breathing when your head is in the water 3/4 of the time). It doesn't just affect the muscles with all this lactic acid, low oxygen will get into your head. Pretty much why you feel so relaxed, or rather loose, after a session. I'd argue there can still be confidence in that, silent, calm confidence being the best kind. But yeah, forget about that "ready for action" part, because your whole body is in regen mode when above water.

If you're looking for the manly feeling, try competitive. That person a few meters ahead of you, he's but a little rabbit about to be hunted down. Releasing that inner predatory instinct safely in the water will set you up for a whole day, I promise. I've done competitive.

For reference, I remember holidays with friends, swimming across 2km long lake while they were all on pedalos, I was hauling a lifebuoy, which I joked was for them idiots in case they fall overboard, all they way in both directions. With that level lactic tolerance and a good mindset you know you can outlast, outrun and outgrind anything. and anyone.

Pauley and jcl1990 like this.