1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The internet is exhausting

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Geez louise, the internet is an exhausting place.

I made one comment about how I have a lemon tree in my yard and I don't really use lemons much, and now I'm having to deal with a constant barrage of messages about how dumb it is that I don't use the lemons, how I should put them in a box in my yard for free for neighbors, how I should sell them, how I should partner with a farmer's market to sell them because that is "easy money" apparently (we have different definitions of easy), how I should use them to make cleaning products, what recipes I should make that use lemons, etc.

So now I have to explain to a million different people that my lemon tree actually doesn't really produce very good lemons, and even when it does it's not really that many and certainly wouldn't be worth the effort to try to sell for a few extra bucks, etc.

Cue all the incoming comments about to tell me how to care for my lemon tree that I never even wanted in the first place and how I'm probably a terrible person for not devoting all my time and energy to nurturing the lemon tree I was given and how if I wasn't so dang selfish, I could feed poor, hungry orphans with my lemons, and blah blah blah.

I just wanted to tell a damn funny story about my lemon tree.

2. desmond3

desmond3 Fapstronaut

It's not only happening on the Internet, but also in reality. And I know it doesn't feel good sometimes, when people are being judgmental and controlling. Don't take it personally though. While you may refer to others' opinions, you definitely have the right to ignore any of them if it isn't useful.

By the way, although you may not agree, I guess it would be nice to have a tree at my home. I live in a busy city and there is little chance that I can get one.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  3. Oh I definitely enjoy having trees. I just don't really like lemons a whole lot, so I don't end up using them and they just go to waste. If I could have some other fruit trees, that would be ideal, but I'm definitely not complaining. :) in fact, while I don't often use the lemons, my lemon tree is very beautiful and has nice, vibrantly green leaves, so it's still nice to have.

SPQR and desmond318 like this.
  4. Lol, if people are puerile enough to get upset about the treatment of something that isn't even sentient, they'll get upset about anything. Which sums up the Internet.

5. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

I try, try, to mind my own business.

Doesn’t always work out.

Upwards2020 likes this.
  6. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

Maybe they wonder why yesterday you told them about the blue blue sky.

7. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I say you don't have to explain anything. You can just ignore all the messages. Nowadays I just don't respond to people or if I do I do it's in my own time. It's freeing to realize I'm in control of what I do and not other people.

TakingTheSteps likes this.
  8. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I was listening to the podcast 'Do You F*cking Mind?' and she was talking about how people have an addiction to stress chemicals. I think that's what's behind so much of people's behaviour on the internet.

9. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

And the mindboggling part is, that most likely a certain percentage of the people, who told you how to care for your tree, actually have no fuckin' clue how to care for a lemon tree. Obviously this is just speculation, but from experience I'd be surprised if it was different.

10. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

Woah, hold on, I need about ten minutes so I can google "how to care for lemon trees" and "uses for lemons" and "lemons charity" so that I can display to all my intellectual and moral superiority over a complete stranger on the internet. Verily, the astounded onlookers will bow down before my excellence in awe and wonder.

Yeah, people are like that. It is much easier to criticize others than to criticize oneself. The people giving this advice are probably not nearly as constructive with their own resources.

desmond318 and TakingTheSteps like this.
  11. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

Basically every human on this earth has psychopathic tendencies

12. Very true. And the thing is, it's not like I planted the dang tree myself... or bought it or asked for it at all... I simply bought a house that happened to have a lemon tree in the backyard. Lol

13. CrisReis22

CrisReis22 Fapstronaut

Drop those social medias and suddenly all the exhaustion you have will be gone. :D

RobbyGo36 and desmond318 like this.
  14. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

This is hilariously absurd. I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh since this is clearly bothering you, but people getting upset over a lemon tree of all things is just so surreal and unexpected that I don't know how else to react.

I really hate to give the "just don't let it get under your skin lol" -type of advice, but I really do think that for better or worse the social labdscape of internet has developed to benefit those who just care very little, so I suppose the only way to not get stressed out online is to learn to let go of the desire for people online not to be complete scumbags? Which does say a lot about how internet is.

desmond318 likes this.
  15. I have done that in the past, and it's true. I take breaks sometimes, but I do like to have Facebook for some purposes. I don't have any other social media though, like Twitter or Instagram or TikTok. Those served me no purpose except drama. Facebook is actually useful for me for a lot of reasons, mostly for connecting with other writers and getting advice or help with writing-related things. But I should probably spend less time on there than I do, especially commenting on useless things.

desmond318 likes this.
  16. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

Pro-tip for anybody, who still uses Twitter (stop it):

Set your location to Andorra or some other tiny country, so that you don't have to read those stupid Trends anymore. If I have to encounter one more of those, a vein in my brain is gonna rupture or something.

desmond318 and TakingTheSteps like this.
  17. Lol no, laughter is the appropriate response. I wrote it in an intentionally absurd/funny way, because it is quite absurd and a little funny. This thread was meant to be lighthearted. I'm not upset about it. :p

Yeah, that's probably true. The internet just constantly makes me sad about the state of humanity, tbh. If the internet didn't exist, I would probably still believe that most people are pretty decent and kind and considerate. But with the existence of social media, I know better, and that's clearly not the case.

That's why I try to keep social media use to a minimum and just focus on the real people in my actual life. But I admit, I can easily fall into that trap of desiring a bit or drama or and argument or something. I certainly don't want to desire those things, but I'd be lying if I said I was exempt from that instinct.

Pentatonic and desmond318 like this.
  18. Yeah, I dumped Twitter a long time ago, and I have very, very rarely ever wished I had it again. That's one social media site that literally never served any purpose for me other than drama. I don't connect with friends or do anything useful on Twitter. I just scroll through and read the crap-show, which is not healthy.

RobbyGo36 and desmond318 like this.
  19. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Speak for yourself bro! :p

20. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

Everyone you just don't know it. Say you were put into a concentration camp , eventually they would show