1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you guys feel about service workers?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Upwards2020, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

I mean shop assistants ..cashier's . Delivery services . This is one thing as I get older .beginning to have more and more of an issue with.

Everyday I see at least 10 different people who work.in.customer services . And the majority of these interactions.are not particularly good.they are.toxic and tense and sometimes downright rude .

When i.think.about it this is were the majority of my anger comes from dealing with rude service workers because they hate there Job.

It. Really has to stop .
    Its almost everyday with these people .

Has anyone gone completely autonomous and cut this negative crap out of there life

2. Swift Escape

Swift Escape Fapstronaut

Everyone involved hates it, I'm sure we'll all be quietly thankful if/when we fully digital in this regard.

Upwards2020 likes this.
  3. Every instance I've met someone like that, they ranged from pleasant to indifferent. And the above is a sweeping assumption that's pretty absurd. I prefer the human interaction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2022
  4. A_L_E_X

A_L_E_X Fapstronaut

Its very difficult to change how other people are. Changing yourself is more easy.
    Do you smile and say hello in a friendly way? Its probably nothing personal, so my advice is to try to not let it affect your feelings.
    In my country most of these people are friendly, its part of their job. Is it very different for you?
    Managing anger is a very useful skill :)

Pentatonic likes this.
  5. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

It's not my anger that's the issue i have had shop assistant project anger towards me because of there systems failing and me bearing the brunt of there intolerance ..I try to get in and out can't stand shopping because your subjected to more than just paying for items . Which is what it should be . People create drama . I cant wait until everything is fully autonomous no more greif and aggravation from people.who hate there job

Why should we ever be subjected to that it's just ridiculous

Imagine going to buy items and it's just you and a machine that works . Imagine how fucking easy it would be to purchases goods. No drama . No pissy unexpected bad attitudes how life would be so simple

6. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

Yes daily aggravation I would like to see decline markedly shit is exhausting

7. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

Mate have you ever worked into any of those things? It will make you misanthropic in a matter of months, takes some special positive outlook to life, to endure the ridiculous amount of stupidity those poor souls face each day while they are doing their job to put some food on the table.

A bit of empathy towards them goes a long way on improving those interactions.

8. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

IMO, it is. I do not have these "toxic" interactions with service workers the majority of the time. The issue is you tbh.

9. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

Then it is you, my guy. Sure, some people will hate their job - understandably so - but if almost all your experiences with people in customer service are negative, then there is a reason for that. And the reason is not that every service workes hates their job...I've worked closely with delivery drivers for a while and those guys were usually really friendly as long as you treated them respectfully. If I were you, I would investigate that.

10. In general I try to treat all people with respect. Service workers have a tough job dealing with the public, so I try not to be one of the many a-holes they have to deal with during the day. Who knows, maybe my treating them with a little respect and humanity can help make their day a little better.

MrPriest likes this.
  11. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

What? I work as a software developer, I can work from home sometimes and can sometimes get away with being very lazy.

I have massive, massive, respect for the service and blue collar workers who get up early every morning and keep society functioning.

onceaking likes this.
  12. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

You tbh . Man how could you possibly know

13. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

Yes actually I have I used to work in hospitality also in haulage and logistics

14. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

I once walked in to a petrol station I guess I must have been walking too fast because the dude behind the counter started giving me shit . Must have thought I was walking intomto.rob the place it's unreal sometimes the shit people pick up on that is totally untrue . Walking on egg shells

15. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I am saying what others are saying to you. Namely, we do not have the same issues with service workers, ergo, the issue is with you. I realise that it hurts to look in the mirror, but we all have to if we are to become the best version of ourselves.

16. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

I have ADHD so my guess is whatever they pick up on is actually the symptoms of ADHD . Realistically I have no issues with shop assistants but I am not going to walk around on eggshells.
    Usually I go in say hello and pay and leave it never seems to be enough the ones who respect that make life easy the ones who don't make everything about them I'm impatient but these people are so sensitive they think my demeanor for I cannot understand what else is directed at them no i have ADHD and has nothing to do with them

17. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Honestly, I have no knowledge or experience of ADHD. Maybe there is something that will aid you with this or manage it in a way that leads to smoother interactions with service workers. :)

18. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

ADHD attention deficit hyperactivity disorder . This brief interaction does not hold my attention I'm hyperactive as in I have excessive physical energy and become impatient . This is not a choice . But I do.nothing they expect more I'm assuming which I cannot provide I hate these interactions but Im not sorry for having ADHD . Very very sensitive situation . But bit ridiculous

19. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

Sounds like an excuse to me.

20. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

I've worked in customer service, for minimum wage, and I have a lot more empathy for people in that position as a result, even the bad tempered ones.

If you work one of those jobs, you will see some crazy shit, both from your customers and from management.

Imagine that you're working the counter at a fast food place, you're at the register taking orders and processing payments. You have a customer approach and politely order a cheeseburger with extra pickles. You say "Sure thing ma'am, that will be $1.25" She pulls out her wallet and places on the counter $500 in monopoly money. You look at the money, you look back at her, she is not joking, she is completely serious. "I'm sorry ma'am, we only accept legal U.S. tender" you say as politely as possible. "What!!???? WHAT THE F*** DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME YOU F***ING PIECE OF S***!!!???!!!" cries the now infuriated woman before you. She begins jumping up and down, doing some sort of interpretive dance in front of the counter while clawing the air frantically over her head, while continuing to scream profanity at the top of her lungs. If you have ever seen one of the exorcist movies, the display in front of you reminds you of the scenes with the possessed little girl.

The assistant manager, hearing the commotion, comes up to the front counter to investigate. "Excuse me ma'am, what appears to be the problem?" he asks her. "THIS PIECE OF S*** JUST CALLED ME A (insert random expletive) AND SAID HE WON'T SERVE (insert random expletive) LIKE ME!!!". Your manager orders you to apologize to the woman before you and give her her order for free. Once she receives her free meal, she immediately calms down and quietly leaves. With the monopoly money still resting on the counter, your manager reprimands you and warns you that next time this happens, you'll get written up, so you better get it together and begin treating customers with the respect they deserve at this fine establishment.

Incidents like this occur randomly, ranging from a couple times a month to several times in one day.

onceaking likes this.