1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada is ranked number 1 as the Best Country of the World and in Quality of Life

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 23, 2022.

1. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/canada

It seems that Canada is considered the best place to live. While Canada isn't considered to be the most beautiful country in the world and isn't worth an adventure, I am sure it has its nature and beauty. Labor markets in Canada are seemingly the best, too.

Any thoughts?

im_done likes this.
  2. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

It depends on what you value. Or rather, what the institution evaluating all the countries values, and also the accuracy of the information they receive. If you'd asked in the 1920's which country was the best, you might have heard "Russia," because they'd destroyed the class system and all the workers were equal. You might have also heard "The United States," because man, we were rolling in wealth. We were so rich, we had normal people who used to be poor with so much money they didn't know what to spend it on. Equal? Hell no. There was middle class, there was rich, and then there was Carnegie and J.P. Morgan and such, but most of the poor Americans were richer than the Russians.

Then there was the fact that Russia was lying about how good they were having it, people were actually starving, and you would be thrown into the gulag if they even thought you were thinking "gee, I wasn't starving when we had a Czar."

So some schmuck thinks Canada is great. Good for them. They can move to Canada. I don't share their values, some of which are general, like I think the Canadian health care system would be worse than what I have now, mostly because I can afford the one I have now, and I recognize for some people something is better than nothing, but I don't have nothing. And some of it is hyper-specific. My family is a long way from Canada.

Labor markets are beyond me. I am not smart enough to understand labor markets. All I know is, do I have a job? Which I don't, but my wife does. In health care, actually, and Canadian health care workers get paid even worse than the US ones, so there again. Canada might be better in some general senses, but it really comes down to who you are, your values, your skill sets. If I can get ignorant with my stereotypes, Canadian labor markets might be great for lumber, for example, or oil, or maple syrup production, but if you are a scuba instructor or a film screen writer, a more robust labor market doesn't help so much because the industries you need aren't as good.

But yeah, the geography itself can be very beautiful in Canada.

JLD and im_done like this.
  3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I don’t know how much I believe their methodology. How is China above Finland? And how are the Nordics and Benelux quite low in general? I mean, Belgium itself is home to the two most powerful organisations in the world (EU and Nato).

4. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

Those metrics are bollocks. No way Canada is the best place to live, just way too many factors at play.

5. Yeah, that's a load of nonsense, lol. The very notion seems extremely subjective.

becomingreat likes this.
  6. Finland looks very good. #18 in Best Countries overall and #8 in Quality of Life, and that's pretty good. Seemingly one of the top 10 most beautiful countries in the world and I can say that's better than the USA. The same goes for Belgium. Honestly, I don't care for politics/laws in either country, and I am only interested in travel, photography, and landscapes.

China, lol. A huge country with the most population in the world and is known for a ton of businesses. I know, their government sucks, and that's where Covid19 was involved. Healthcare looks meh there.

7. Won't Lie Down

Won't Lie Down New Fapstronaut

The fact that the US is #6 shows that the list is bullshit. The Nordics have a ton of external debt (money that you owe a citizen or entity of another nation). In any sense, I'd agree with Norway, Denmark, Finland, Australia, and New Zealand taking the top spots (Norway because of their oil money). I'd still put Canada in the top 10-

This isn't 1980s, 1990s Japan. They have a lot of debt too and their economy is not moving like it used it. Plus the stressful work culture.

This seems more of an accurate list:
    https://ceoworld.biz/2021/06/20/the-worlds-best-countries-for-quality-of-life-2021/

Taylor25 likes this.
  8. Fantasia

Fantasia Fapstronaut

Beautiful till your bank account don't get locked because you contest the government (WE LOVE DEMOCRACY AND FREEDOM :)) . Stay asleep and obey and all will be fine.

my bro @Long Range knows it!!!

Spark Advance and ajstath like this.
  9. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

Seems like a nice country.

But I wouldn't want to live in a country that treats me like a child, like not allowing me to buy things in a store such as bras (if I were a female) during the pandemic cause they were deemed not necessary. Being told where I can walk and when I can leave home. Being forced to get an experimental drug.

Has high taxes and very little freedoms.

10. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

I wasn't even aware of that...

Meshuga likes this.
  11. im_done

im_done Fapstronaut

I'm no expert on social development, labor/economics etc., but i'll say this: Western countries\developed nations objectively speaking by most metrics have a high standard of leaving, which roughly agree with. However, these nations like America/Canada/Japan have a high suicide rate. Not by ranking but on a comparably developed nation scale. I have a web link to a source somewhere...but that's just my two cents.

12. SethLCU

SethLCU Fapstronaut

1920s man, what did people even buy? there was no fridge, no cooling system, no plumbing everybody stinking but at least they didn't have to put up with facebook.

13. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Nahh, I like it here in Finland. Despite the climate and sharing a long ass border with Russia.

Taylor25 and Meshuga like this.
  14. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Refrigerators for the home hit the market in 1927, they were in 85% of US homes by 1944. Indoor plumbing was already an established feature in the home, as the first bathroom in the US was installed in a Boston hotel in 1829. Automobiles were the hottest commodity; Henry Ford had perfected the assembly line and between him, General Motors, and Chrysler, a car could be made for less than the average person’s annual wage.

The “Roaring” 1920’s in the US were an amazing time, more wealth and products were available to more people than had ever been in the history of mankind. Manufacturing and technology were humming along at an unprecedented rate; it seemed every year they were inventing a bigger train engine, a stronger steel, a faster airplane. Department stores were flush with inventory, from chic fashion to appliances recently made commercially available in the home, like mixers, toasters, and washing machines. All these time saving devices gave the average housewife loads of leisure time, which she spent gossiping with her friends on the new telephone, watching silent films at the cinema, and playing mahjong. The 1920s in America was about flappers and jazz and the Charleston, slipping into speakeasies sporting a fitted jacket and a cigarette holder, and feeling like the good times would never end.

Meantime, the 1920s in Russia was about not getting caught stealing a fallen potato from the ditch, else you’d get picked up by the Blue Caps, prosecuted for “stealing from the people,” stuffed into a Stoley car and shipped to the gulag.

somuchforsubtlety and Dr.J_76ers like this.
  15. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

I usually don’t care to brag about geography, since nobody has anything to do with it, but if you are talking photography and landscapes, the US has a lot to offer. Remember, Texas alone is bigger than France. There’s a lot of topography you can fit into that kind of square mileage. Or square kilometerage.

The Colorado Rockies kick the Alp’s stony ass. I remember feeling a little let down seeing those Alps for the first time in Germany, I was expecting something a little more… I don’t know… epic? Those are some very nice hills they have in Europe, quite pleasant. For something you won’t see anywhere else in the world, the geographic formations in Utah are incredible. You’d swear it wasn’t natural. The panoramas in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are breathtaking. Easily competes with the natural rawness of the Nordic countries, but notably fewer fjords. For the most impressive ditch you’ll ever witness, check out the Grand Canyon in Arizona. You’d never think a hole in the ground was worth looking at, but it is. But that’s only the biggest. There’s places like the Royal Gorge in Colorado, or the Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas panhandle, fewer people and still beautiful. And while we’re on that Western kick, Big Bend in Texas is wild. New Mexico is gorgeous in some parts. I used to live on the flat, ugly portion, but sunrises and sunsets there are routinely amazing, and there is no cave in the world as mind blowing as the Carlsbad Caverns.

On the Eastern side of the Mississippi River, Pennsylvania is lovely, the swamps of South Carolina are weird and unique, and of course the Niagara Falls are impressive. In truth, almost every state in the union has something beautiful to offer. Exceptions would be that strip starting in North Texas, running up through Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. South Dakota actually has some cool spots, like the Badlands, and Mt. Rushmore might seem very silly to Europeans but it’s still a cool sight, and the area it is situated in is the same kind of beautiful as the states West of South Dakota.

Oh yeah, Ohio is also a bit of a turd. And Illinois, and Indiana. The Midwest, actually, where a lot of Norwegians settled, ironically enough. It must have been such a letdown. There’s also something to be said for taste. Maybe Arkansas wouldn’t suit you, or the Ozarks in my own Missouri (hills again, but picturesque ones), but I like ‘em and I think they are worth seeing.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  16. Finland is seemingly better than USA for many, many reasons if you count the quality of life.

17. SethLCU

SethLCU Fapstronaut

To be fair they had a civil war going on which was initiated then bankrolled by the west.
    But i don't feel like the economic comparison between the URSS and the US is fair, probably no nation had a similar economic level or standard of living, while there were two majors famines under the soviets it also existed under the Czars albeit with much lower casualties. But for the vast majority of russians even if you ignore all of the typical soviet propaganda life must have been better after the five year plan, as there was a general increase of life expectancy, gdp per capita, literacy and a rapid urbanization plus what you said about workers being equals this must have benefitted women the most.

18. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Why would "the west" have initiated the Russian civil war? There was no "the west" back then. "The west" was divided into two warring factions, the westernmost of which was allied with Russia. Also it's not like the western nations were fans of communism.

Idk if the fact that there were famines was as much of a problem as the fact that the government intentionally caused some of those famines.

19. Nyet14x

Nyet14x Fapstronaut

How is Finland, Austria and Belgium lower than Singapore and China? Does freedom even matter to whoever made this list? South Korea too should be lower than them.

Also the US is largely unequal. Certain parts of the US are better than Canada, eg Northern Virginia and certain parts are worse, eg Fresno CA.
    It all depends on your city and state.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    TakingTheSteps and Meshuga like this.
  20. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

Yeah, I don't buy it. Canada has some pretty serious issues, the government can apparently freeze your bank account without any form of trial or due process. They seem to be accelerating away from democracy and towards some form of autocracy or oligarchy.