1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rings of Power

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by onceaking, Sep 9, 2022.

1. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

What do you think of The Rings of Power? Having watched the full-length trailer it doesn't look so bad but I'm still not convinced I should start watching it. Also according to Amazon, there's swearing in it. I'm not against swearing but it being in LotR doesn't seem right.

2. Rings of power was not only an unnecessary cash grab, it was a massive disrespect to Lord of the Rings fans Such as myself. But I don't blame Jeff Bezos at all. Who I do blame? Peter Jackson! The movie versions of The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit should have never existed! Those books were too perfectly crafted to be turned into movies.

3. Fantasia

Fantasia Fapstronaut

I don‘t know what do you think but i‘m so bored of all this Propaganda.

Btw you are mostly right, when a movie based on a book come out it is always weakened, same thing happen if you read a book that is translated from another language, it is weakened. But has i know (since i never seen them) LOTR movies have tried to be accurate and respectful to his author, that have spend his entire life creating that world. Amazon tv show is just something to make money, it is something that don‘t want to celebrate LOTR, is something that need to make money from the random plebe that don’t posses critical thinking and engorge every thing that come from any kimd of authority, without beingnablento questionate. There is no passion on doing it, and all that propaganda hidden as „inclusivity“ was mandatory if you want made money today, they don‘t care about the show, they donˋt care about the fans, they care of money and if you watch it you are supporting the degeneration of our world.

I will continue to blame Bezos, because he created one of the most satanic things ever made, that enslave his workers and have no respect for them.

4. TheHouseAlwaysWins

TheHouseAlwaysWins Fapstronaut

I tend not to watch adaptations of things I like nowadays, they are almost always bad. Amazon are also using the Disney strategy of labelling people who don't like it as bigots because they don't like the casting, and I won't support a show that does that. Same with House of the Dragon, and all the terrible Marvel and Star Wars shows.

TakingTheSteps and Fantasia like this.
  5. Fantasia

Fantasia Fapstronaut

The last star wars is so bad lol, empty, like those that liked it

6. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

Idk guys, I personally really am enjoying it.

7. Disney Star wars Killed off the Expanded universe! Which was my personal favorite part about Star Wars.

8. Fantasia

Fantasia Fapstronaut

Just imagine pretending to do a new triology where you can actually do everything, and instead you do 2 mediocre movies (Episode 7 and 9), litteraly a copy of star wars 4 and 6 but it is more inclusive due to female protagonist. I mean, if was a complete new thing i would actually enjoy it, but it is just a copy, there is nothing new on it. At least episode 8 ''dared''. Episode 9 is like putting patches from episode 8, the fact that Rey was no the daughter of Obi Wan, nor Anakin, nor Snoke, ecc..was kinda cool. Instead J.J come and just putted patches everywhere, and is kinda a clown things to see the fans get trolled ''wow, Rey parents were just drunked people'' and then say ''wow, rey is the grandaughter of the emperor'' so clownistic. Why? Because Disney itself didn't knew where they were go with all this triology things and just let people do random things. I mean Star wars fanbase is already toxic (I'm talking about the soyboys of the original triolgy that reject everything that isn't from one of these three movies).

Now we have this Ring of Soy thing. I mean i'm not expecting people doing things for the fans this day so for me this project is already a failure, they can do all the milions they want. Even the Dwarfs need to be inclusive.

9. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I haven't watched it (and I'd bet that most people commenting haven't either and are going by trailers and hearsay) so can't give an accurate opinion on it. However tbh I kinda feel like it's just an unnecessary show. Tolkien's work was really good as it was and it's very unlikely that anyone could capture it's spirit with any accuracy. I'd much rather see new well crafted fantasy worlds rise and provide us with amazing stories. That would also solve the whole inclusivity and modern values vs faithfulness to the original author -dilemma people have been fussing about.

Doesn't necessarily mean the show is bad in and of itself though. Maybe I'll even watch it sooner or later.

10. TheHouseAlwaysWins

TheHouseAlwaysWins Fapstronaut

I absolutely haven't watched it. From the minute it was announced I suspected it would be something I'm not interested in. I haven't even seen any trailers for it lol. Call me arrogant but I have a sixth sense for when stuff like is going to turn out badly, based on years and years of getting crushed by anticipating something that turned out to be garbage. I don't really buy into the "giving it a fair shot" argument anymore either, it's the show's job to appeal to me, not my job to put work in to enjoy it. I'm not saying you're doing this, you aren't, but the amount of people who get super defensive or even mad when I tell them this is staggering, and it just makes me dig my heels in and be even more stubborn about it lol.

I gave Star Wars a fair shot, and it was bad. I gave the MCU a fair shot, and it turned bad. I gave Star Trek Discovery a fair shot, and it was bad. I could go on. Not enough time in the day to spend it on stuff like this. But more than enough time to tell people I don't watch the shows. :)

Fantasia likes this.
  11. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

12. Evig Faith

Evig Faith Fapstronaut

What’s this “Rings of Power” thing? I’ve never heard of it. It doesn’t exist. :rolleyes:

SPQR likes this.
  13. Fantasia

Fantasia Fapstronaut

Fact

Evig Faith likes this.
  14. Killyourlust

Killyourlust Fapstronaut

I kinda like it dont know why people are hating it .

15. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I haven't come across that. Maybe I'm not paying attention but it seems to me if you don't like you don't like it :emoji_shrug:

16. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

I used to be a Tolkienboo - LOTR was the first big book I ever read and I did that before I saw the Jackson films which I'm grateful for even though they are excellent in my estimation and I'm glad that I've seen them.

I made the decision not to watch ROP just as I refused to watch the Hobbit trilogy (three films lol!). I was sure it would be garbage and it seems it's even worse than that.

The blackwashing of elves itself is fine - you're doing an adaptation, you're allowed to change things (but fans are also allowed to be pissed at you for it). The reason why they're doing it is not - it's apparent they're trying to fullfil woke quota and it's more important to them than creating good art. Not to mention the disgusting hypocrisy of film critics who tear down movies for whitewashing while celebrating this.

I learned from twitter posts that they *recreated the Unite the Right rally in Númenor (curiously none of those characters were played by dark skinned actors it seemed). That's just ... beyond parody. I'm hoping they'll go further with this charade and make Elrond give an impassioned speech about trans rights or something. I might actually watch that.

*CORRECTION: looks like I got trolled lol

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    onceaking likes this.
  17. Swearing is okay but I hope they're not gonna do a GoT with the sex. That's totally not LotR.

I'm mostly interested because Neil Gaiman is a writer for the series.

18. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Oh wow, maybe I should watch it after all...

19. Cassy0110

Cassy0110 New Fapstronaut

I watch the house of dragons and the rings at the same time , the rings is noticeably losing

20. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

In a review, they said it's the only movie/TV show to get the full backing of Tolkiens estate. That makes me a bit interested in seeing it but it's still not enough.

I heard it's more sexual than Peter Jackson's version.

A friend did the same and said HoD was better.

Cassy0110 likes this.