1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting fat building muscle?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Kairose, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Kairose

Kairose Fapstronaut

Hello! I'm trying to get bigger and basically ppl who advise me tell me to eat a lot, and I try to, as healthy as possible. But I'm getting a lot of abdominal fat, love handles, etc...

Probably I'm eating wrong I guess. For this reason I want to go back to intermittent fasting, even tho is not recommend to build muscle. Maybe just 16:8 IF, eating before and after working out?

2. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

You will always gain a certain amount of fat when you try to build muscle. Musclebuilding needs a caloric surplus; but when you are in a caloric surplus you will also gain fat. That's just how things are. You can try to keep it at a minimum by eating clean (so called "clean bulk"), but even then you will also gain a bit of fat. That's why professional bodybuilders usually alternate between "bulking" and then "cutting" before competitions: They eat a shitton of food to build muscle and then they restrict their food intake massively to cut down the fatty tissue again. When "bulking" some bodybuilders even go as far as just eating whatever is in front of them. Pizza? Ice cream? All fine. Some of them really balloon up and then cut back down.

What is important, however, is that you keep your protein intake up.

Kairose likes this.
  3. What does your daily nutrition look like? What are your workouts like? Are you following any kind of formal program? Are you getting proper rest and recovery?

Kairose likes this.
  4. Kairose

Kairose Fapstronaut

Nutrition: low/no sugar. Low fluor. No snacks between meals. 3 - 4 meals a day. Proteins and healthy fats. I was eating too much peanut (like 3 handfuls)

Workout: 1 hour of lifting at night and 12 min of Tabata in the morning.

Rest: I think I'm ok, like 7-8 hours

Program: just 3 different muscle groups each day: legs & shoulders, biceps & back, triceps & pecs

5. Your nutrition and workout sound good!

For a bulk, you'll need to be in a 300-500 calorie surplus from your TDEE, make sure you're getting at least 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight, and make sure your workout involves progressive overload (i.e. lifting more weight or doing more reps each workout)

For a cut, you'll need to be in a 300-500 calories deficit from your TDEE, and aim for slightly more protein (1g per lb of bodyweight).

That is what has worked for me anyways.

As IR254 said you will gain some fat, that's unavoidable unfortunately, I usually try to time my bulks and cuts so that my cut ends in early-to-mid-summer, since that's when I'm most likely to go shirtless.

Happy gaining! :)

6. glaze

glaze Fapstronaut

1.6**

7. metamorphosed

metamorphosed Fapstronaut

It's a normal process to gain body fat whilst bulking, you just have to accept it and bulk preferably during winter so you don't actually feel ashamed if you're fighting body dysmorphia. Once you gain the wanted weight, go ahead and start cutting.

Building muscle is indeed a long process and cannot happen over a week. It takes time. You can eat your maintenance calorie intake and still build muscle, it will take longer of course, but building muscle is primarily conditioned by the overall cytokines production. Dirty bulk and you'll gain hell lot of fat and no muscle mass, clean, slow bulk and you'll get there eventually.

Consistency and patience, brotherman. You got this.

Kairose likes this.