1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Attracted to Insecurity

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Fordfanboy2010, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Does anyone find insecurity attractive in potential dating prospects? I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I have an overwhelming urge to help and fix people. So when I meet a girl who comes across as shy, sad, and insecure, it is like I immediately feel attracted to her and want to help her see that deep down, she is really a great person. Usually, the response I get from friends and family when I tell them who my crush is, they say things like, "Wait, really? Her? Why? Come on, you can do better." And I'm like, "No, I can't do better. She's a great girl! You just can't see it."

On the other hand, when I meet happy confident girls, I don't feel all that attracted to them. I rarely develop crushes on these girls. The last two girls I have had crushes on have been both shy and insecure. However, insecure women also tend to cause me a great deal of frustration. Also, it seems I have less success making them develop feelings for me.

The thing is, I am an attractive man with a good job who is fairly happy and outgoing (for the most part. I'm still rather introverted). As a result, I tend to attract happy extroverted women. But, I'm not all that attracted to them. I pursue the sad insecure ones who confuse me, frustrate me, and cause me to walk away angry and hurt.

Don Gately likes this.
  2. This post is like looking into a mirror. Have you ever considered the possibility that you have low self-esteem and therefore seek out girls who are seemingly worse-off than you in an unconscious effort to feel better about yourself?

3. Handzfree

Handzfree Distinguished Fapstronaut

Many times when someone divorces a spouse with emotional issues or addictions, they remarry someone with the same problems. Then they try to fix the new spouse, but it doesn't work.

IMHO it sounds like you may be compensating for a parent our guardian that caused issues. Don't freak though, vey few people have ideal childhoods.. Many are left with scars from divorce, an overbearing parent or even abuse.

People who are well adjusted tend to gravitate towards similar people. Most people with issues see the world through a distorted lens, thinking everyone else must be wrong and I'm the only person who knows the truth... Sound like a PMO addict?

I might suggest dating some who shares your common interests and also is open and honest. Trying to fix up people with issues sounds like no fun, at least to me.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. This very well may be the case. I know I have some issues from my childhood. I've had severe ADHD my whole life and my mother, who had emotional issues herself didn't understand my struggles. She was overbearing and tended to take her own frustrations out on me, leading me to believe I was a bad child and nothing but a screw-up. Over time though, things got better between my mom and I. On top of that, I was overweight until a few years ago and so insecurity has been a major issue for me. It's getting better though.

Deep down I know I should seek an emotionally healthy and well adjust woman, but I'm just not that attracted to them. I don't know, maybe I should wait until I start finding the right women attractive, and then start seeking a relationship. Until then, I might just mess things up if I were start dating someone right now.

5. Handzfree

Handzfree Distinguished Fapstronaut

FFB - first off we all have issues from our childhood... no parents are perfect and obviously some are better than others. Also, take heart some of the greatest people in the world probably had ADHD. From your user name you probably should know Henry Ford went to work without his pants one day. Congrats on reconciling with your mother, she probably learned bad habits from her mother as well.... stuff is passed generational - but it can end with the right person. I'm sure she loved you, but didn't know how to correctly express it. I would encourage you to give yourself some credit for who you are and what you have done and are doing. Non one is perfect. We are all unique people that no one else can duplicate. It takes all types to fill the freeway lanes. Bottom line, you're a valuable individual with lots to offer the right person. Enjoy yourself and do the things that make you happy! When you do that, I guarantee you'll bump into someone that will be fun.

Cheers,
    HF

6. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Yeah man I would definitely not worry about the ADHD thing, I think most healthy guys could walk into a psychologist's office and walk out with that diagnosis. That's not to minimize how difficult your or anyone else's experience has been, but ADHD doesn't feel like a character flaw to me. I don't think it's a choice in the same way that PMO is.

Research does show that people tend to seek out people they are similar to, whether consciously or not. I totally agree with the "seek out someone who is open" advice. I've found that weirdness and dysfunction are common, and there are always compromises in relationships, but if you find someone who can talk about things like addiction, shyness, habit, family, self-consciousness, etc. in healthy ways, I think it's a really good indicator that they're at a place in their life where a worthwhile relationship is likely.

Fordfanboy2010 likes this.
  7. wildwood

wildwood Fapstronaut

Sounds like codependency. Not good.

8. Addictionhelpseeker

Addictionhelpseeker Fapstronaut

I used to feel that way, once upon a time. But then I realized what it really was that I was responding to: easy prey.

She's insecure, so she's more likely to respond to your advances and be grateful for your affections.

Plus if you "fix her" she'll adore you all the more. You can easily be a man around her because her standards for what that is are easily achieved. You can be her savior, her guardian, her protector against the big scary world. This is why when you see an insecure woman and you think: "it would feel awesome to be around her."

This isn't a criticism, nor is it an endorsement. It just is what it is.

As men we must always avoid the temptation to paint our motivations in some kind of saintly or altruistic light. We lie to ourselves far too easily, and it's important to call it what it is. Make sure you're aware that many guys experience this for these reasons, and you're likely to be one of them. That makes you normal.

Now you can decide if you like that or not, and adjust or do not adjust accordingly.

9. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Good insight!

10. DireMerl

DireMerl Fapstronaut

If I can offer a lady (snort)'s perspective. I think aiming for a rational, emotionally well rounded and genrally healthy minded last is going to end in disapointment just as much as going for the girls that are insecure. I wonder what you actually mean by insecure? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but most of the women I know are insecure about something. Sure some are better at hiding it and some are better at coping with it but most of the "confident, outgoing" women you meet have their own problems. We're all men and women, flawed and imperfect in some ways. I wonder if you're putting too much emphasis on the 'types' of girls you are attracted to. I've always believed you should concentrate on what makes you happy. And the right partner for you will come along in her own time (probably late because she can't decide what to wear) but she'll turn up. Worry too much about the why's and how's and you'll forget to just look for someone that makes you happy. I hope you find what you're looking foe :)

11. rainingrn

rainingrn Guest

Why would you be attracted to someone who is insecure if, like a good partner, you would just end up trying to help them overcome their insecurity and then what, will you no longer be attracted to them once they feel happy about themselves.
    Not entirely directed at you and you may have other reasons for it but try to make sure it isn't a projection of your own insecurity as many people have (I know some people in real life). Certain guys like to think that they are the only person who finds a girl attractive, that they somehow found a diamond in the rough which everyone else looked over and because of this the two of them must be soulmates and will live happily ever after because he is the only person who makes her feel good.
    This is basically going one short of the whole 'nice guy' thing.

Addictionhelpseeker said it very nicely:
    Guys are attracted to this because it seems 'easy' to get the girl, because after all that guy is the first to pay attention to her and no other guy has, right? And because of this all of the guys flaws will be overlooked, not because she want's to but because she has to since no one else will like or see her 'real beauty' or whatever the fuck they say.
    It's just like in the movies where a guy starts to fall in love with the girl which no-one likes or thinks is attractive(even though she still looks amazing). This is a fantasy for so many guys who lack self esteem.
    If you are attracted to insecure girls really find the reason for it, most likely it is some bullshit reason like the above.

12. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

Are there any women (besides camwhores) who intentionally use this gimmick? Who manipulates the manipulators?

13. rainingrn

rainingrn Guest

no idea and I don't see why anyone ever would. I don't see why someone would do that and if they did they are still insecure about themselves seeing as they are trying to be someone else so I guess it is still the same from that point of view.

I had to look up 'camwhore' on urban dictionary lol, I didn't know what it was but I don't think they are in anyway different from any other person who does that stuff. Also the word makes you sound like a dick, maybe don't try to use it again hahahaha.

14. Addictionhelpseeker

Addictionhelpseeker Fapstronaut

That is fascinating! Never thought of it that way but I can see how that mechanism might work. Thanks for the insight.

15. Wow, @Addictionhelpseeker and @rainingrn really good insight!

I'm guessing it's my own insecurity that is driving this. Perhaps I simply have a misguided sense of heroism; I want to rescue the girl that no other guy wants, the "diamond in the rough." I have no interest in women who are pursued by other men, and it is most likely because I don't feel like I can win out over those other guys, and I'm not all that competitive to be honest. At least, I'm not competitive when it comes to the opposite sex. I'd rather go for the low hanging fruit as @Addictionhelpseeker implies.

My insecurity, however, is getting much better since I've gotten in shape and found a solid career path. Women pay me more attention now, but I don't know what to do with it. I've spent my whole life running away from women and relationships out of fear of rejection and feeling like I was completely undesirable. I honestly don't know how to pursue a relationship because that is uncharted territory for me. I feel I can't compete with other guys because I don't know what to do. They are much smoother than me. I'm just awkward, quirky, and weird haha.

I'm probably overthinking things as usual.

16. rainingrn

rainingrn Guest

Congratulations on the new career path man, glad to hear it is working out :)
    If women are paying more attention to you why don't you pay more attention back to them. A lot of people say to not approach them with any intentions other than to talk and be friends, maybe try this to help boost your confidence and you never know, you might meet someone. Also just be you, there is someone out there for everyone:D
    Best of luck man :)

17. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Sounds like a Dostoevsky romance haha. I can see him plotting something where fixing the weirdness kills the problem and the attraction at the same time.

Is that how it went down? Are you still attracted to her when the shyness is gone?

Also I don't know how healthy it would be to have someone dating you who views one largely from the perspective of brokenness, shyness, or awkwardness. Seems like a realm where vicious spirals and self-fulfilling prophecies are likely to show up.

18. Well, @rainingrn , the problem is that I'm not all that attracted to the women who are paying me attention, even the pretty ones. I tend to like the ones who just lead me around in circles because they can't make up their mind if they like me or not, or I wind up liking girls who have boyfriends. I think I've just developed a mindset that has me wanting to date girls who aren't good for me. There is one girl who I'm working with who I could get along great with. She's cute and I love her goofy personality, but she's a co-worker. That can lead to all sorts of problems, especially since I just started the job. I think my focus right now should be to get adjusted to my job and save up enough money to move out on my own.

Anyway, @Don Gately , you're right. Things never work out well when I pursue these women. Sometimes they change for the better, and I stop liking them as much because they're different. Nine times out of ten though, her insecurity, shyness, and awkwardness are problems that can only be fixed by her and not someone else. And it is those very problems that end up frustrating me and spoiling the relationship. I'm trying to get her to stop being so uptight and worried all the time because it's no fun being around someone who too scared to do anything (and I'm not talking about sex). Usually these girls have a fun, goofy side, but they are paranoid about what other people think. I find that very irritating. I'm very much a "I will be me and screw what other people think" kind of guy, so I get annoyed when people tell me, "Oh I can't do that! People might think I'm weird!" But I'm still attracted to them, knowing how things will turn out. I guess I'm like the girl who keeps dating thugs thinking that one day one of them will treat her right.

But it's kind of hard to change what you like.

Don Gately likes this.
  19. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

I know some workplaces are really against office romance, but I think if you're patient and careful, it can be ok. Tons of people meet at work, and people don't usually stay at jobs for that long anymore. I would date a girl from work with no qualms whatsoever, but I also am still friends with the girls I've dated in the past, so it's probably different for other people. A lot has to do with my absolute "no sex before marriage" rule, which is a religious commitment.

20. I have the same "no sex" commitment. I don't think my company has that rule since it is so large, but I'm just scared of the potential drama. Things might get awkward since the office I work in is pretty small. The company doesn't hire that many people with my skill set. There's only 6 of us, and we all work together. I don't know, feels risky to me, unless it works out and the other 4 handle it well.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015