1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any science fiction fans out here?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by theDoctorSmith, Oct 2, 2015.

1. theDoctorSmith

theDoctorSmith Fapstronaut

I am currently reading classic Sci Fi - Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I will follow that by, Rendezvous with Rama, and later, the whole Asimov collection (I read Foundation series before).

Do you guys have any favourites? Have you'll read any of these books? Do you'll have any suggestions? Finally, what according to you is the best sci fi of the 21st century?

Calm likes this.
  2. yousuff

yousuff Fapstronaut

I would suggest to watch Cosmos(2014), a TV series about our universe, an educational TV series. Cosmos(2014) has changed my life in many ways.

3. theDoctorSmith

Too bad. I have a problem with binge watching. I already selected the shows I would be following this season. No more space. I do watch Doctor Who. It's not very educational though.

Knight Solaire likes this.
  4. Lightningbob1964

Lightningbob1964 Fapstronaut

Lol Don't watch Dr.Who to get educated. Enders Game was good. Read the Foundation series a long time ago. Read the Hobbit a dozen times. Anything Sci-fi on tv I'll watch as long as it's not too corny. Dr. Who stretches my limits sometimes.

Calm likes this.
  5. Sos the Rope... This book I would say has impacted my life largely.
    1984- just a sheer classic.
    Dumarest Saga- 33 book series I read 4 books, the winds of gath one of them, was EXCELLENT!
    Martian Chronicles- Ray Bradbury. Awesome awesome.

6. Asimov is cool I read his Robot Visions short story book. He isn't poetic he is more of a straight forward kind of quirky writer with cool spins on his tales. I love the endings of his stories they are always original.

7. Journey to the Center of the Earth was an awesome read. It is just very imaginative and creative. Rendezvous with Rama was hard for me to read.. It didn't excite me much but that was years ago. Perhaps I will try again.

8. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

As for movies we're goin to see The Martian tonight woot! :D

9. Lightningbob1964

Lightningbob1964 Fapstronaut

The Martian is a good movie. Perhaps we can discuss things we would have done differently later.

Calm likes this.
  10. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

@Lightningbob1964 Didn't see the movie. One friend thought it was going to be boring like a Cast Away meets Apollo 13, ah well I'm sure it had its strengths, supremely well made film that cannot be denied.

11. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

12. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

Any science fiction/dystopian book suggestions for me? I'm getting into reading like crazy and love me some dystopian genre. Let me know here or in a pm.

13. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

Did you read The Maze Runner series yet? If not highly recommended. Great books.

14. Strugglesaurus

Strugglesaurus Fapstronaut

Here for the book suggestions, also. ;) Already read The Maze Runner.

15. Knight Solaire

Reading it literally right now lmao. Scorch Trials.

Calm likes this.
  16. Knight Solaire

David Tennant FTW!

17. theDoctorSmith

Alas I have to put reading for an everyday on a hiatus. I go home from work and crash on the bed.

Have you read Dune? I heard a lot about it.

18. I have not.. My little brother was raving about it. I'm not even sure what it's about!

19. theDoctorSmith

I started with Matt Smith. He's my first doctor and to me the best.

20. theDoctorSmith

You could read Dune. It probable defines the genre you're looking for.