1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for tips on taking a break from dating

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Don Gately, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Has anyone taken an extended, intentional break from dating and could share some insight on what worked, what helped, and how it went?

For someone like me, who has dated pretty incessantly for a lot of years, it would be useful to know how to curb the instinct to chat girls up everywhere I go. How to get out of the hunting, seeking, looking mode. How to curb the urge to text a girl when I'm lonely and just want someone to talk to.

TLDR at bottom.

I am considering taking an extended break from dating, but it's going to be really hard for me. I've been thinking about this for the last couple months, and I've gotten way better at not seeking out attention, dates, or asking for phone numbers from girls all the time, but then someone always shows up and I second-guess myself and think I should give it a shot, like maybe I'm ready, or maybe this is going to be the girl who breaks down my belief/hope for trying again with my ex.

I'm considering not dating until February, but maybe until July 2023 or even until I finish my grad program in spring 2024. Starting around age 14, I have always talked to girls, sought out dates, and spent a lot of time pursuing relationships. All that effort has only resulted in a few committed relationships, and the only one that lasted for any extended period was my favorite girlfriend, who I dated for almost a year, which ended in late 2021.

I have a lot of reasons for why I think this is a good idea, which you can read here if you're interested, but it's definitely not necessary. I have no problem getting dates, but I have struggled to get in relationships that I really feel good about or want to stay in. I trick myself a lot because I get lonely or want my life to move faster, but deep down I don't think I'm actually ready to marry, and my goal with dating has always been to marry. I think I need awhile, probably a year and a half from now would make sense, although I know life can change really quickly and maybe I will meet someone who makes me throw all these ideas out the window. But I doubt it, and even if it happens, I think the right thing for me is not to be pursuing dates all the time and instead work on the rest of my life.

TL;DR

I have always gone on lots of dates. I want to marry my ex girlfriend. I need to heal a lot. I'm looking for tips on how to do this from anyone else who has taken an extended, intentional break from dating, not because they gave up or were hopeless, but because they thought it was the healthiest, best thing for them at the time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  2. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

I think taking an extended break can be a chance to grow. As you focus on other areas of your life, you may change certain values or interests, and the demographic of girl you're after long term may change after just a few months of self-improvement, or self-focus.

My experience was I had a certain number of dates and opportunities, it was less than I wanted at the time, but the type of women I was dating or having an option to date wasn't really long term the best option for me. I had to change who I was to become a better prospect for different women who were more mature and kinder, for example.

So my advice is it can be a great time to see a new perspective and challenge yourself to question what type of woman you'd like in your life moving forward.

However, I would caution that one can get caught in the trap of self-improvement goal after self-improvement goal, always improving and not choosing a time to re-enter the dating world.

That was the case for me, a one year break I set for myself turned into several years. I am now a better version of myself, but I feel I missed the chance to grow more through dating women during part of that process.

TL;DR

You'll probably have epiphany moments of self-improvement looking inwards for some time, but you may want to be mindful of when it's best to reconnect with whichever women you choose.

3. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Yeah that's a good caution. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wait any longer than July 2024. It's likely I wouldn't wait that long because I really like girls, too, but that's why I've got to figure this out haha.

4. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

That sounds like a good plan I think, go for a set time but be open minded if something lines up in the meantime. I swear half the things I plan go sideways or divert to another area, and that's usually not a bad thing in hindsight.

Another option perhaps could be to stay in the game, albeit with breaks. I mean even when dates go well, if we're meeting new people regularly it can be exhausting getting to know a new person again and again from scratch.

You could go 3 months off, 3 months on for example. Have that time to reflect and grow in other areas, then see dating in a new light.

It's interesting because I think so many of us want to figure this out and have a sense of control, but then a life event happens, we value something less or more, or we meet someone who gets us. Yeah good to take a break but agree hard to predict these things long term haha.

5. HaydarM

HaydarM Fapstronaut

I did, for about 9-10 months, mostly due to religious reasons. I came to a point in my life where I've experienced everything that the younger version of myself wanted to experience, chasing shallow relationships and flings and it did nothing for me, except making me feel, after 9 years of a crazy lifestyle, terrible, to say the least. I decided to give religion one more chance, and as absurd as it sounds, I found happiness in abstinence, self-control and discipline.

One of the things I've had to do is stop sleeping around with women, which was extremely hard. The hardest part of it was saying no, and avoiding situations which led me into temptation. The amount of energy, and time saved was ridiculous. Not thinking about getting some, planning dates, dinners, gifts was replaced by work I've put into my business, self-improvement and learning a new language.

It was one of the best things I've done, because it turned me from this sex seeking fiend into a self-controlled person who's main motivation is progress and not sex. If you want to do it, trust me, you won't regret it.

Don Gately likes this.
  6. FormerLeatherneck

FormerLeatherneck Fapstronaut

We have a whole society where it’s mostly women who are suffering from “sexual diabetes” from hookup culture.

Reborn16 and HaydarM like this.