1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel lost

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Daggertail19, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

- I am 25 soon to be 26
    - I went o college for 5 years, got a degree in accounting
    - I work for a public accounting firm, I work from home
    - I live in San Diego, right by the beach
    - I work out everyday and train jiu jitsu

Sounds perfect. Except I feel like it is not. I feel like I should be doing something else, but I have no idea what. I feel like I wasted 5 years studying something that I do not especially love just to make money that I don't actually need. In my 19 year old mind, that was the goal. To me, making as much money as I currently am making now would make me the happiest man in the world. I was wrong.

I'm scared, I've heard the "you are still young" bs a million times. It doesn't help. I have only been able to hide my feelings around this, but eventually, it always comes back. Whenever I feel like I am not doing good at my job, I slip back into the "what in the world am I even doing?? What is the point of any of this??" mindset.

I feel like I don't know what my purpose is, or what the goal I have in mind is. I dont especially love sitting behind a computer all day, that is for sure. But I have no idea what else I could be doing which would pay well.

Anyways, I feel like I am emotion vomiting all over this post. I am going to stop there. Opening the discussion to, hopefully, some insightful advice.

Brent456 likes this.
  2. I felt this way at your age a lot. Some careers are a winding road, you can’t see where you are heading. Could you take some of the skills you have developed and use them for something more entrepreneurial and creative? Take a leap, but based on some strengths you already have?

Daggertail19 likes this.
  3. How about a big fat walk on El Camino - approx 30 days - and get lost a bit to find the path again? Thinking through what do you like to do or what interests you - or used to - In college or in high school? MBTI personal test?

Daggertail19 likes this.
  4. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

It's funny you say this, because I have been thinking about this a lot.

Putting the entrepreneurial aspect with the MBTI personal test (I am a protagonist personality), tells me something.

When I was 17 I almost lost my life. I will spare the details, but it was an intense experience, and I spent years recovering. I made a full recovery with youth on my side, and continue to grow beyond what I was like before.

With that in mind, I like to inspire others. So I have definitely been thinking of a way that I can do so while also generating a livable income.

I appreciate you both, already the cogs are turning.

Unica Semper Avis and Brent456 like this.
  5. Dr.J_76ers

Dr.J_76ers Fapstronaut

What about thinking of the work you're doing as a vehicle to your goals?

Daggertail19 likes this.
  6. Daggertail19

Daggertail19 Fapstronaut

Another great piece of advice. I have definitely tried to change my mindset to this in the past. Maybe I can focus on doing so. I think that would make my life a lot easier.

Thank you.

Dr.J_76ers likes this.
  7. you might try some volunteer helping job while you still have your own? Accounting is a great backup financially to make whatever you want on your free time :)

Daggertail19 likes this.
  8. jamesstiller

jamesstiller New Fapstronaut

You should be glad you have such thoughts in 25.... A lot of people, including me, don't think about that until after 40....

Daggertail19 likes this.