1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Issue

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by basstrombone, Mar 11, 2014.

1. basstrombone

basstrombone Fapstronaut

Hello,

This is pretty offtopic (hence why I'm writing it here...)
    My car makes a squealing/whining sound when I go over 25mph and it sounds like its coming from the left front driver wheel. The pitch will get higher as I go faster and if I shift into neutral the noise will continue so my guess was something in the wheel or axle. I have a 1999 Ford Taurus sedan.

Any mechanics out there? :p

2. pls_end_this

pls_end_this Fapstronaut

Wheel bearing would be a good place to start. Look at the universal joint as well

I'd also check your belts, sometimes where a sound is coming from can be deceiving from the cabin.
    Try rev'ing up to 4,000 or 5,000 rpm in neutral. If you still get the sound, its not an axle oriented problem.

Best of luck

3. Former_Fapper

Former_Fapper Fapstronaut

Does the sound come if you just randomly rev the engine while still, or does it come from the movement of the car? If it´s from the movement, then I'd check the brake pads first. Many times the other(mostly the inner) pad is more worn out than the outer one. So check that your pads are not done. And you could take the brake calibers out of the way, take the pads out and grind the edges with file a little bit, if the pads are okay I mean. Also sometimes the pads create a glossy glass-like surface that could make noise and reduces the braking power. Normal semi rough sanding paper will do the trick fast. Then reassemble with using copperpaste on the sliding areas of the brakepad. I mean those ends that touch the brake carrier, never put anything between the discs and pads.
    Also when you have the pads off, you can check the bearing by spinnig the disc and feeling with your hands does it feel okay. But the bearing rarely does a squealing sound, more like a "hummm" "GRrrrr" "Trrrr".
    Anyway, hope that helps.