1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Religious book for atheists ?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. frankied

frankied Fapstronaut

I am an atheist, but i find religion very interesting, as it brings people together, and teaches mostly good things, i like especially the how we interact with other people and to be a humble and honest person, not doing onto others what you don't want to get onto yourself ( i think i spelled this wrong but whatever ) .

Do you guys recomend any spiritual book for atheists, that's not from one point of view really, but teaches me the valuable things that most religions have in common ?

Like for example a classmate said ; i don't think any women would like you, he said it half jokingly but still, it was not nice to hear. But if i say something back in the same manner, i am not anny better, and i know people say these things out of insecurity and negative views. It's hard not to react bluntly to these people, and i notice the more i live unhealthy, the more i become uncuncious and behave in the same way as those people , talking negative, blaming and negging, it's not really fulfilling.

Headspace and Jodokus like this.
  2. Not really religious but Meditations by Marcus Aurelius is a great book for this. More of a philosophical approach to life. Personally it showed me to go through life been humble and grateful of what we have, there's superb wisdom contained in his writings. Yes it is from one point of view, but he emphasizes how everything in the universe is connected and that we should strive to put our lives to good use at every moment, I definitely recommend it!

Phibz, JoePineapples and frankied like this.
  3. Never_Return_There

Never_Return_There Fapstronaut

Read the Bible, if you look for a religious book, i have read it for the last 3 years and i read it when i had terrible urges and it helped me push through and not give in, and it somehow brings peace when you read certain passages, and if you start reading it, turn your imagination on, don't just read it like you read a newspaper, also read carefully. ;D

frankied likes this.
  4. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

I'm currently reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I think it fits the bill of spirituality without religion perfectly.

Amazon description below;

The phenomenal bestselling self-help book of its generation - for spiritual followers of the Dalai Lama and Deepak Chopra. Eckhart Tolle demonstrates how to live a healthier and happier life by living in the present moment.

To make the journey into The Power of Now we will need to leave our analytical mind and its false created self, the ego, behind. Although the journey is challenging, Eckhart Tolle offers simple language and a question and answer format to guide us.

Surrender to the present moment, where problems do not exist. It is here we find our joy, are able to embrace our true selves and discover that we are already complete and perfect. If we are able to be fully present and take each step in the Now we will be opening ourselves to the transforming experience of THE POWER OF NOW. It's a book to be revisited again and again.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  5. RiBo

RiBo Fapstronaut

Being an atheist, I can tell the problem is that people take religion too seriously, sometimes force their beliefs on others or become an extremist.
    That being said, I say you should read the religious scriptures of all holy books- Quran, Bible, Bhagvat Gita,...
    What's the purpose of reading all these books? Well for starters find all common points/statements present in all the books. That would give a general idea of how basic human thinking works (or worked in the past)
    Next focus on all the good aspects/points written in these books and jot it down. Learn to appreciate the good qualities presented by these scriptures.
    Next see all the negative points of these books and make a mental note to never succumb to the negativity or commit the crime of trying to emulate these negative aspects.

ICleansedMe and frankied like this.
  6. docker

docker Fapstronaut

This is contradiction. Atheist but find religions interesting? How you become atheist i you haven't first exam the religions? Religions that teaching mostly the good things? Which are these good things? I can recall that the majority of the wars through centuries happened under the name of religions. No?

I don't think that someone needs religion to learn the "mostly good things". Philosophy or Mysticism can bring meaning to life because it has the ability to widening the perspective instead of religion which usually has more concrete believes. People stay together under the same umbrella (religion is an umbrella). I can relate to you because your believes are the same as mine. I can relate with you because we believe in the same God. We have something in common. Everybody wants to have commons with others to match. People loves to be with the same kind. That's true. They feel that belong somewhere where they can be understood!

Common? Every religion speaks about LOVE. That's your common!!!!

If I understand what you are asking, is to reform (or evaluate) your value system-believe system (the mostly good things remember?). I am not sure that religion can help you on that, except of course of the fact that you will do what @RiBo said. Read all philosophies/religions/occultism and extract your own thoughts which in turn will form new believes. If you accept any believes without judgement you will be under danger to absorb believes that doesn't match your own value system.

Phibz and frankied like this.
  7. Nick5717

Nick5717 Fapstronaut

Hey everybody,
    I just thought I would give a Christian concept to those that might have been mislead. I'd like to first approach you all and say I was an Agnostic but have been a Catholic man myself for 2 and a half years. I am in the military and have dodged death on many accounts, coincidence out the door so to speak. I will start by saying that taking religion seriously is a concept estranged to non-believers in that this is our hope and explanation of creation and life after death... so it's kind of serious hehe. Secondly, statistically only 17% of wars have been fought over religion, which leaves 83% over other things (GodandScience.org). I am not trying to be mean, and I approach you guys with an honest perspective that is Christian or religious in general, we see non-believers as not completely understanding our scripture and to be mislead into the assumptions about religion being bad.

As far as literature is concerned, if you don't have a taste for religious scripture I can recommend Mohandi Gandhi because he was very open to all religions. Also, anything from St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine... not that they are Christian but because they go into the deeply rooted Christian philosophies on morality, peace, love and some very obvious but not obvious truths about life. You could also take a look at some Buddhist philosophy literature because this has helped me spiritually becoming more self aware and holding in higher regard the meaning of life with Christ or knowing thyself. These are just a few Brother. Just a quote to stir some thought...
    Unless souls are saved, nothing is saved; there can be no world peace unless there is soul peace. World wars are only projections of the conflicts waged inside the souls of men and women, for nothing happens in the external world that has not first happened within a soul.
    • Peace of Soul (1949). p. 1.
    P.S. I am not being arrogant, just trying to explain the religious aspect of things for your benefit Brother. If I offend anyone and am too forward then I apologize Brothers. I only have said what I said to give you some outlook from a spiritually adept point of view.

God Bless you all,
    Nick

8. Earnest Lee

Earnest Lee Fapstronaut

I'm Catholic, but I think one thing we would agree on as common ground would be Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics" and Plato's "Gorgias"
    If you haven't studied philosophy, don't be intimidated by the titles- they are very accessible.

Nick5717, JoePineapples and docker like this.
  9. The Power of Intention by the great Wayne Dyer.

10. Phibz

Phibz Fapstronaut

Anthony de Mello and Alan Watts

docker likes this.
  11. yzeew

yzeew Fapstronaut

Seems like you will only get half of what you want through a spiritual book but a certain community facet religion and spirituality brings forth. Atheist have made certain communal functions and just talk about philosophy or whatever. I do not know if you are in a place you can be open about your beliefs without judgement or not though which can make finding like minded people difficult. Also Buddhism does not subscribe to a deity (Buddha was just some dude not some sort of god). That is where most of the atheist I know (I'm Christian btw so I also suggest the bible too) seem to turn towards that kind of thing.

12. deadrole7

deadrole7 Fapstronaut

Have a look at concepts of different mythologies e.g greek or norse mythology, or check some details about pagan beliefs such as pantheism. Although many of them may oppose christianity and such, these are more "earthly" rather than "mystical" beliefs, thus easily appreciable by an atheist.Take greek mythology as an example, which is both spiritual & "man-made".

docker likes this.
  13. PotentLife

PotentLife Fapstronaut

Joseph Campbell was an iconic anthropologist who referred to religions as powerful, useful myths. He described and explored many religions and their practices in great depth and fascinating detail. A great introduction to his work is the book or video series, The Power of Myth, which are his conversations with Bill Moyers. I think Campbell is the epitome of what you are looking for.

docker likes this.
  14. There's a book by philosopher Alain du Bouton called Religion for Atheists. Haven't read it but it is recommended.

Another great title is Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, about archetypal spiritual figures from world religions.

15. Thechosenone

Thechosenone Fapstronaut

An atheist can be spiritual, Hinduism is one of the prominent examples of Spirituality. Take things with a pinch of salt -
    My personal favourite self help books are:
    Outwitting the devil - Napoleon Hill
    6 Pillars of self esteem - Nathaniel Branden
    How to win friends and influence people - Dale Carnegie
    The willpower instinct - Kelly Mcgonigal

16. Religion for Atheists by Alain de Botton