1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting Video Games

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Libero, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Libero

Libero Fapstronaut

I don't see why Jaws is bad. It's a story about human characters from different walks of life with contrasting personalities and how they deal with adversity. The shark 'monster movie' aspect of it is there too, but it's not without its artistic flourishes. Many people have their view of it tarnished by its pulp fiction origins, it's unconvincing shark model and it's cheap and shallow sequels and knock offs. You might not consider it high art, as its effectively the first summer blockbuster, but to call it 'bad' seems way off the mark.

AlltheRageBackHome likes this.
  2. Yeah, his name is Shulk. Smash Bros is definitely one of my favourite games series of all time too. Love it. I remember when I discovered Smash on the Nintendo 64 when I was a kid, my whole world changed lol.

Not necessarily trying to drive a point home, bro. The dude was clearly wrong and was just saying stupid things. I'm sorry, I'm not just trying to be rude here and I don't care about 'winning'. I'm on here to help people with PMO, not argue, but this one specific thread, I was really genuinely shocked at some of the comments I was reading. Honestly. So, these were not a matter of "opinions". To degrade art and call it unnecessary is closed minded and dismisses the fact everyone is different and everyone has different passions and interests. To say that music is "unnecessary" closes down the fact that people have gifts and talents. Music is self expression. I was not stating any "opinions". What I was saying to counter his comments were true, not opinion based. There's a difference. The stuff he was saying needed to be called out, so I did that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
  3. And this is my point too. To further agree with you, almost ALL film is art anyway, because it is SELF EXPRESSION. To say anything other than that is not an opinion, it is just stupid, stuck up and arrogant. In fact, it's even uneducated to say such things. Self expression is art. The use of music in film, the actors, the script, it's ALL ART for goodness sake. The fact that people still question certain things as being art, and the fact that we need to even have this conversation to begin with is genuinely shocking and mind blowing to say the least.

4. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

That's depressing to hear man, hope that guy came out alright in the end.
    I was talking specifically about it's depiction in regards to (Great White) sharks, the movie made sharks out to be complete monsters, with the only intention of killing people. Granted, sharks obviously do kill people, but it is nowhere near common enough (nor sensible) to depict them the way the movie did.

I believe later on Spielberg himself said it was a mistake, cannot find the quote or anything (obscurity man) I have heard that multiple times.

5. nfprogress

nfprogress Fapstronaut

Oh, that story is not a sad one. Currently employed modestly as a research fellow in emergency care medicine after several years as an ER doc. His brain is the size of a small state.

6. Decoder™

Decoder™ Fapstronaut

wow...

7. nfprogress

nfprogress Fapstronaut

Yep. I do love counterexamples. In the IT field, I can count on one simple and unerring truth. Every time I have been able to work with an end user, the ones with gaming background are invariably pretty good with computer software and computer hardware. They tend to be somewhat above average in [typing skill, computer hardware troubleshooting, use of basic software including installation and configuration, can pick up new tools faster]. Sure those are generalities, but I have had 'many' cases where I ask where someone learned the skill they have and their answer is 'playing video games'. They always have a smile on their face when they say it. My boss picked up on how to use my programmable left handed mouse in a matter of seconds. His comment was....well if you ever used a game controller, this is completely natural. No learning curve.

Many more counterexamples are possible ☻☺☻ (smilies made with alt gaming keys of course!) On the flip side, time spent gaming often costs more than it is worth (due to addiction). So I can see both sides trivially.

8. knzer

knzer Fapstronaut

Here's an interesting video:

9. darklink

darklink Fapstronaut

This is a very interesting thread because it discusses another addiction than PMO that, for some, work pretty much the same.

I've had problems with both! And the TED video posted before here only scratches the surface. There's abother great ted talk about the core of addiction itself

To understand any addiction we don't really have to get into the specifics of that drug or that behaviour. We have to understand that we're using the addiction to escape from actual social interaction and bonding with people IRL. Because we can't bare being present in our own lives. It's as easy as breaking the addiction and replacing it with the other stuff. Or should i say as hard?
    The other part of it is the dopamine de-sensitation (explained here:
    http://phoinikis.tumblr.com/post/99025669308/rules-one-and-two
    When you play the most fantastic games that would've blown your mind as a kid but feel nothing, when you just free roam without any sense of joy or when you win 10 online games in a row and just feel empty... it's all because what used to be a dopamine rush, a simulation of IRL awesomeness and victory has now just become a useless ritual where you don't get your fix anymore, at least not in any rewarding way, it's just become compulsory.

I know i could never ever handle having a console with online games like EA NHL again. I used to play hours and hours just a few years ago.
    Now i've limited my gaming to playing with people IRL. I just started playing Witcher 3 with my gf and it's super great and rewarding just in the same way as it used to be, should be. For the both of us (she feels the same way as i when playing alone). And I'm really looking forward to the holidays when i'll meet up with my childhood friends for the annual NHL tournament.
    Other than that i've got my console in the basement... i wouldn't have it any other way. If you're passionate about gaming i say go out of your way to find friends or family to play with and keep it as a rule. You'll have tons more fun :)

nfprogress likes this.
  10. AnonDoom

AnonDoom New Fapstronaut

I have played 9 years of Dota 2 and accomplished none. I won some tournaments and some money like $50 and that was all. I was playing 8-12 game in a day. I was blind.. so much. Especially in my first college years. The day circle was Game-PM-Facebook-Eat-Smoke-Sleep and no classes of course. If you are not addicted, It's not a big deal but when you do.. It's a big f*cking problem.. When you win, you get dopamine and when you lose, you get anger Which they both are slowly torturing your mind and your life while you are not aware. Social Life: None, Friends:None, Grades:0.57(lol),Health:None.
    What I make out is, after the 1 or 2 days I deleted the game, I was searching for different games to be satisfied. And now while I'am trying to get rid of my PMO addiction, I'm trying to get rid of this game addiction too. Everything goes well except loneliness and social-awkwardness.

11. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

I Love videogames, pretty much grew up with them. I can binge if the game is REALLY good for me. And sometimes I can spend weeks without playing them. Videogames and music are not the devil, it's just the way we use it. Nowadays I enjoy playing games more if I am playing with my homies. Right now I'm in a Dead Space marathon, and I'm loving every second of it.

12. Sunit

Sunit Fapstronaut

If your nt liking what your playing no point playing that game or completing that game...cos u wont like the game in the end..just take a break...play wen u really feel like playing that game again...

13. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

I love video games, which is why I don't play them. I love them too much. If I pick up a game I like, I'm always thinking about it, at work and stuff, Googling tips to try when I'm not at home to play, etc. I use my time so irresponsibly when it comes to gaming that it eventually causes me to lose control of myself and to inevitably relapse into PMO. It's not good for me, not while I have no self-control.

I can foresee myself picking up games again, one day in the future when I have a job and my girlfriend and I are married and she can keep me accountable about my usage - my responsibility to her and to us will prevent me from losing too much time with it. And/or, we'll both be able to find some game we like and play together. Or, she'll watch me and we'll bond this way, or whatever.

But while I'm still living by myself and still studying and still in the early stages of NoFap, it's a no-go.

darklink and AnonDoom like this.
  14. Sunit

Sunit Fapstronaut

Don't take it in a negative way...its good you love playing games..but you have to be careful also wen ur overdoing it..

15. Sunit

Sunit Fapstronaut

Involve yourself in other activities which you like other than playing games for sometime to get over the addiction..go out..try doing something new