1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Lose fat, Build mass, Change diet and lifestyle support/advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Martyr_man, Nov 7, 2015.

1. motoracer47

motoracer47 Fapstronaut

What's up guys,

Thought I'd give my two cents on working out. I'm an ectomorph. Always been tall and skinny. Right now I'm 5'11" and 172 pounds. I really started working out hard last spring. Most of my friends lift heavy, so I got on Stronglift's 5x5 beginner routine. It works, I put on over 20 pounds of muscle in three months. I ate whatever I could and got really strong. But, I was the fattest I have ever been. I think it is because you need so much fat on your body to build big muscle for heavy lifting. I'm not sure though, science is not my thing. My BMI was around 18 or 19 percent. Usually I'm around 10 percent.

I never really liked heavy lifting anyways. I did not like the atmosphere, everyone looking at themselves in the mirrors and I feel like I was always comparing myself to the guy lifting next to me. So I decided to change it up and I can proudly say I will never lift like that again.

I got into calisthenics by Bar Brothers and MadBarz and have been doing it for the past four months. I thought I was strong from lifting heavy. But I was very wrong. Yeah, I could lift a lot of weight off of my chest and do some cool squats with weight on my shoulders, but my muscles did not work well together. I could barely do a few sets of 12 pull ups. I could not do a muscle up. And my core was an absolute joke. But calisthenic workouts changed that. Man has it killed me. But, I have enjoyed every bit of it! I have seen a huge change in overall strength, flexibility and my mindset from these workouts. I absolutely love working out now.

If anyone wants to try out these workouts, I encourage you to! Here's a link to some beginner routines for calisthenics. I recommend them! http://www.barbrothersgroningen.com/calisthenics-workout-plan/

And if you're very serious, you should invest in The System by Bar Brothers. It is a twelve week workout plan that will change your life! It is about a $50 investment, and very worthwhile for the price. It is very hard though, be warned. You will have to push yourself. http://barbrothersdc.com

Also, the Bar Brothers and calisthenics communities are incredible. That is what drove my interest in working out that way. They are extremely encouraging, just as NoFap is.

Lastly, I do not think this has been mentioned enough. A total change in weight and muscle build do not come from half-assing anything. You have to have the mentality to WORK HARD. EVERY workout should be a challenge, pushing your limits! NEVER GIVE UP! "Failure is part of the process, giving up is not!"

Martyr_man likes this.
  2. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

That doesn't sound skinny. Brad Pitt is 6 feet tall and he weighed 160 lbs at 8% body fat when he played Tyler Durden

Martyr_man likes this.
  3. motoracer47

motoracer47 Fapstronaut

I'm not skinny now. I used to be. When I was 16 I was the same height as now but 145 pounds.

4. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

Well brother everyone's different I suppose. I personally like lifting and being lazy so when I lift I don't want to stop then when I rest I don't want to do anything so the full body one day, nothing the next works for me. I know what you mean about the atmosphere in the gyms. It's a big turn off. I even used to go out of my way to workout when the gyms were little to no one there. Ya just got to ignore such turds, they're everywhere even outside the gym. As for the not being able to pull up, this is why in bb we have to change it up every few weeks 6-12. When I was younger I did the full body eod and kept with it and lol I was doing 275 lbs on machine chest Flys 10 reps but couldn't bench press for nothing lol. It's because I did like a full year of the same exercises when I should have switched it up. So now I'll change it up after 6-12 weeks of the same workouts.

5. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

Yo everybody. As you all may have presumed, I'm trying to clean bulk. I could use some feed back on my diet.
    Breakfast: 3 eggs, oatmeal, banana, Orange juice.
    Meal: chicken breast, brown rice, green veggies,
    mixed beans, apple
    Meal: same as above, with orage
    Per workout: same as above, with pineapple
    Immediately after workout: protein bar
    Home meal: chicken breast, brown rice, veggies, mixed beans, slice of pine apple
    ( just to not over carb, one of the daily meals will have no rice)
    Any suhgestion?

6. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

whats up brothers?! man i am sore! anyone been sticking with their new workouts?

7. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

what does the pineapple do?

Martyr_man likes this.
  8. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

^ Well, as you ask, I do my morning routine… 50 press-ups, 50 sit-ups, 10 dips, Wim Hof breathing exercises. Gym three times a week; a mix of HIT and weights. Run once a week. Porridge every morning except Saturdays, with walnuts and cranberries. Saturday mornings avocado on toast. Other meals; lots of veggies, fish and chicken.

Oh. Sorry, you meant in @Martyr_man 's diet…

9. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

Pineapple kicks but

10. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

is this question meant towards him? XD

11. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

no it was directed towards you

12. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

You mean why did i decide to add pineapple to my diet? pineapple is (from my understanding) a great bodybuilding food.

13. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

How's things been with you?

14. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

Hey bro! Sorry i forgot to get back with you about your testosterone levels we were talking about earlier, but I remembered! Lol.... how's that going? I remember last you spoke about it you said it was at a low 400 range right? but your doctor told you that was fine (yeah, fine for an 80 y/o man. Doctors these days. smh) tell me, are you planning on seeing another doctor about this issue of your low T? I'm on trt myself (200 mg of testosterone cypionate per week) its got my levels to 630 which is better than the 143 it originally was. At my age I should be more like 700-800 (testosterone level) but 200 mg a week is the most my doc will prescribe me :(

15. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

BTW everyone! Since I've started taking testosterone I began breaking out with acne/ dirt bumps (I call them. The little dry bumps that, when you squeeze it, little white dry dirt or whatever comes out. Most people get it on their forehead. TMI sorry lol) on my shoulders. Ive
    never been prone to acne until i began testosterone replacement therapy so I did some research on a cheap and successful way to rid this stuff and found a method you'll be surprised actually works. Its cleared up my shoulders a lot from acne and cleared up my face and removes wrinkles as well as makes your skin baby soft. Extra virgin olive oil. Yep! Rub it on your face ( i do my whole body) before bed and you'll begin to notice huge changes! It has also removed a lot of noticeable stretch marks on my body. I even rub it on before a walk during the day cause it helps you tan way faster. Avoid rubbing it on your private parts, even though it has benefits there too, but it'll make you want to fap lol so I avoid that area.

16. Fapfree83

Fapfree83 Fapstronaut

The only website I visit more often than this one is muscleandstrength.com. I've gotten into a pretty good kick of getting up to lift during the week, but find the wagon wheels falling off on the weekend (drinking, overeating, etc...). I'd love to share what I've learned, as well as get some advice from you guys. Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

17. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

Yeah dude let us know! Only thing about this thread is it's starting to die lol but i'll chat with ya. I've never herd of that web site. is it any good?

18. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

BUMP cmon fellas I need some motivation! Or atleast someone tell me a thread that's like this one that I'll like more lol

goodboy1 likes this.
  19. Fapfree83

Fapfree83 Fapstronaut

I definitely recommend muscleandstrength.com. Lots of great advice, articles, forums, etc.

ned123 and Martyr_man like this.
  20. Martyr_man

Martyr_man Fapstronaut

Im about to check that website out :)

Fapfree83 likes this.