1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with racism/negativity in public?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by simongook, Dec 28, 2015.

1. simongook

simongook Fapstronaut

So today i was taking public transportation (on a bus) to get to my gym. I was just sitting on the bus, mining my own business and a african american guy decides to say"Holy shit I've never seen a chinese man in my life!" I sorta looked over and looked ahead. Everyone started staring at me. He came up to me and started apologizing about how he was disrespecting my ethnicity. That he's greatful for Chinese people because we make everything (lol). He asked me my name and all that. I felt a little anxious and embarrassed for some reason and my face especially my cheeks got all heavy and my voice was weak. Negative thoughts started coming in my head. I kinda felt like i was bullied in the bus by some adult. Any advice on how to not be pulled into other people's unconscious thought patterns especially when theres a bus full of people staring at you?

2. Piet_Krediet

Piet_Krediet Fapstronaut

I know what you mean. What I do is try to ignore or politely tell him/her to get lost. And accept that it will happen from time to time. It is not worth it to get excited about it.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. avatarivn

I agree with @Gaston : There will be no end to the conflict in our lives if we stop to reason with every fool that crosses our path. Better to just ignore them.

freedom457 likes this.
  4. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Fapstronaut

Ignore and keep moving! unless it turns physical in that case then you gotta do something about that good sir :) You did the right thing, life is too short to be caring about those useless people.

5. New Challenger

New Challenger Fapstronaut

you are not alone brother, as an asian australian here, i have encountered many racism events, most of them were verbal abuse happened at night in the public places like the train station. there was one time that a caucasian woman kept swearing at me, calling me "f**king ch**k" in the station after i got off the train, she continues the abuse until both of us exit the station, i ignored her from the start til the end. me too have no idea how to deal with those racists other than ignoring them. i told my friends my story, they said i should have call the police for help because tolerating this would mean encouraging the racists to do it again next time as they would think there wont be any consequences for doing such bad things. however that american african guy is much friendlier than any of the scumbags i have met in any racism events i have encountered, at least he apologized for what he has done. btw i love your kitten avatar, so cute and lovely :)

simongook likes this.
  6. DRD

DRD Fapstronaut

Well, it sounds like it wasn't too serious, but in general when you are met with racism, think about how many successful and smart people like scientists, writers, artists or investors are racist. Very few, I can't think for now of anyone. People who do amazing things and fulfil their dreams are those who you should look up to and whose opinion you should consider, not those who spread hatred because usually it is a sign of their own inner insecurity and fragile ego, they are not worth your time. Let the haters do their thing and go on with your life.

New Challenger likes this.
  7. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Hi @simongook,

My mantra i repeat everyday: ''I am independent of the good or bad opinions from others.''
    Some people are so dumb to do this kind of things to other people, and do not know the damage they create.

This guy makes a lot of self improvement videos.

STOP GIVE A FUCK ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE OF YOU THINK ITS ONLY A STUPID THOUGHT IN SOMEONE ELSE HIS HEAD DO NOT LET IT CONTROL YOU.

simongook likes this.
  8. Hi fellow Fapstronauts,

As a Canadian Chinese, I've encountered many instances of racist remarks by Caucasian people who said offensive things to me even though I've done nothing to offend them. For example, years ago I was at the waiting area of a Downtown hospital. I had my cell phone with me and I noted that there's a notice on the wall reminding people in the waiting area to turn off their cell phones. So I took out my cell phone and proceeded to press some buttons to turn it off. A white guy sitting next to me said to me in a rude tone asking me if I understood the English written on the notice. I didn't bother to explain to him what I was trying to do and that I might speak English better than him. I was educated in a Catholic School where the Fathers taught us good manners like always start addressing people with "Excuse me ..." and never to be rude to other people. It just surprised me that a Caucasian Canadian can be so rude and superficial to a fellow Canadian in a public area.

9. skylar_legit

skylar_legit Fapstronaut

not giving a fuck about what they say will be classic, tried and proven way to deal with this beeeeeautiful situation.
    and why do you care what a STRANGER thinks about you?i bet he dont know you and after u told him your name, you didnt get friend request from that guy!
    chill n move on...
    people just need entertainment for some time. bus ride is Booooorrriiinnngg and that CLOWN entertained u guys!yay!
    u dont get to see clowns like that on buses .
    on the other hand,people in the bus must be thinking what a racist jerk that guy is...so...im sorry but, you lost your 'strangers thinking about you' spotlight right there.

freedom457 and simongook like this.
  10. True skylar_legit, these things happen usually in boring situations (bus, waiting area ...) and there are clowns everywhere, send in the clowns ... :)

domainmaster
    30 Dec 2015