1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Shampoo/conditioner

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by xjbert1423, Jan 2, 2016.

1. xjbert1423

xjbert1423 Fapstronaut

Hello. I am a male and i want my hair soft and just healtiest overall. Right now i am showering everyday and shampoo and conditioning everyday too. I heard its not good to shampoo everyday. Should i start only shampooing every other day? Would this be better? And also while im doing this would it be fine to use conditioner everyday?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

i've heard we shouldnt shampoo every day. you'd go bald. i dont use shampoo at all. i got soft, silky hair, maybe nature gifted me with it.:D

3. Idk about men, but women rarely wash their hair everyday. However, hair that is closest to the scalp gets greasy and dirty quicker than at the ends, so if you have short hair, shampooing everyday might be necessary.

If you decide to shampoo every other day, which definitely wouldn't be a bad thing to try, do notttt use conditioner everyday. You should only use conditioner when you shampoo. It is kind of a tool to balance out what you've just done by washing. If you use conditioner when you're not shampooing, your hair will be extra greasy.

There are other products you can use as well... I have something called a "hair masque" I believe. It's a conditioning product that you put in your hair and leave for a few minutes, then you shower like normal, with shampoo and conditioner. I use that about once a week and it helps make my hair a lot softer.

As far as for health, you're correct that shampooing everyday is not healthy. However sometimes it feels like that's what your hair needs, so what should you do? Invest in dry shampoo. It's a sort of spray (feels a bit like hairspray texture) that you spray onto the greasy spots and kind of rub it in (with clean hands) or comb/brush it in, and it takes away that greasy look. It's not "really" clean, though, so dry shampoo shouldn't be used totally in place of regular washing. But it can help to limit your regular washing to every other day or less.

4. xjbert1423

xjbert1423 Fapstronaut

So i shouldnt use conditioner on the days i dont shampoo

5. Correct

6. Human_in_the_Making

Human_in_the_Making Fapstronaut

I got a tip for you, which I read online. It helps especially if you have short, greasy hair with a lot of dandruff, like me.
    1. Rinse your hair with warm water (not hot! It'll damage your scalp) and then apply shampoo. If using anti-dandruff shampoo, massage your scalp. The theory is that warm water opens up the hair pores, enabling shampoo to rinse away dirt and oil better.
    2. Apply conditioner (don't rinse off the shampoo yet!). The open pores enable the conditioner to go deeper into the roots of your hair.
    3. Now, you rinse, but with cold water. The cold water will add shine to your hair, decreases hair frizz (a side-effect of washing hair with hot water), seal the hair pores so the conditioner will stay in your scalp, causing it to last longer, and decrease your oiliness of your hair—because the pores, which release sebum (the oil on your hair) are sealed by the cold water!
    Don't use conditioner if you have naturally very greasy hair, like me.
    Another website (not sure is it a website or a reddit topic) recommends washing every alternate days. Washing everyday removes the natural oils on your hair (the natural oils give the shiny, sheen look of hair), causing much more sebum being produced to compensate the lack of the natural sebum on your hair.

Hieroglyphics likes this.
  7. Human_in_the_Making

Human_in_the_Making Fapstronaut

Well if you wanted me to laugh my lungs out, congrats! You have succeeded! :D :p
    (not sarcastic, fyi)

8. JCMD_hi

JCMD_hi Fapstronaut

Hi, I'm also a guy, I have long brown curly hair, it reaches my shoulders.

Yes, shampooing everyday is bad because your hair doesn't have the time to replenish its natural oils so it winds up weak and greasy looking.

Shampoo first then condition and do it every other day.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. JCMD_hi

JCMD_hi Fapstronaut

Can you please upload that to imgur and send me a link?

10. xjbert1423

xjbert1423 Fapstronaut

So is it okay for me to condition everyday but shampoo every other day

11. JCMD_hi

JCMD_hi Fapstronaut

If I were you I'd just do both every other day. It's best for your hair that way.

12. xjbert1423

xjbert1423 Fapstronaut

Ehhh but i want my hair soft. And condtioner maks it soft

13. JCMD_hi

JCMD_hi Fapstronaut

My hair is always soft and that' how I do it. Seriously don't over do it, you'll end up with strandy, greasy hair. Just do it every other day but use a generous amount if you like.

14. I have long brown curly hair so it might be different for me if you have short hair..... but for me, I wash and condition my hair once or twice a week depending on how often im at the beach.... I am actually very well know for my glorious mane! But what you use to wash and condition your hair is really important. Stick with good quality, I don't know what is available where you are but I use Aveda brand and the better quality brands usually have less harsh cleansers and less chemicals like sulfates and silicone, which will strip your hair or coat it preventing natural oils penetrating the hair keeping it healthy. steer away from using hot water - i wash my hair with cool water, and don't use a hair dryer :)

When i had short hair I used American Crew brand (men specific hair care), and washed every couple of days because of styling product build up... it always left my hair feeling and smelling really nice :)

Human_in_the_Making likes this.