1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook anxiety

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by FlamingSkyline, Jan 5, 2016.

1. FlamingSkyline

FlamingSkyline New Fapstronaut

Hi all,

I have had Facebook since 5 years ago. I don't go on Facebook now because I have what I call Facebook anxiety. I hate seeing other people hanging out in photos or people showing some fantastic part of their lives that is none of my business. I think it has a brainwashing effect on making you comparing yourself with others.

I want to delete it.

But I would lose touch of all my friends. The ones I can only reach through Facebook.

How do put down this baggage which has been on my bag for too long already?

2. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Hi Bro,

I know what u mean, its even scientifically proven Facebook makes people feel worse.
    I only watch Facebook once a day and scroll quickly to see if some important friends posted something.
    Most people only want to chow off on Facebook to get good reactions.
    And 90% of the friends i have are only people i know but not really friends.

Headspace likes this.
  3. Framones

Framones Fapstronaut

The fact is that everyone (included me) tend to put (obviously) the best part of him on facebook. Thus what we see makes US think our life sucks. I know the feeling you are expressing, but WHAT'S the solution?

Right now social-networking is so radicated in our culture that is nearly impossible to stay away: i mean it has also good faces. It helps people communicate for example in university groups and so on. It also has a lot of funny contents that make me laugh hard!

So i think quitting it isn't a good idea. I think it's more intelligent to make an healthier use of it. And here comes the question.

How do i use facebook in a healthy way if others don't do as i do?

4. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

I don't have that anxiety, but simply to get distracted less I unsubscribed (not sure if that's the right word in English) everyone who isn't part of my family, even good friends. That means I have to click on their profile to see what they posted. This is good as I only see the posts of people I care about, and I need to think of them first instead of being shown their posts right away. On my main page it says I need to find more friends so I can see some posts. I mainly use Facebook for private and group messaging anyway.

5. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

You are normal brother. Even happy smiling Facebook people get the blues man.

They are smiling on the outside but crying on the inside.

On my Facebook page, I have staged photos of me smiling and laughing with my fake glass of champagne.

6. Here's what I did and what I would advise.

Go through your friends list, person by person, and ask yourself honestly... Would I really care if I never talked to this person again? If the answer is no, move along, if the answer is yes, write their name down. Once you have a list complied, PM those people and tell them you're deleting your Facebook but would like to keep in touch with them. Get their phone number or email address or whatever.

Personally, getting rid of Facebook has changed my perspective on life sooo much and I wouldn't go back. I feel like now that I don't see everyone's life story every second, I'm actually much more interested in their lives. When I see someone at the store or get an email from an old friend, I'm super excited to see them and get to hear what's been going on in their life. And if I'm bored, rather than mindlessly scrolling through Facebook and not actually talking to someone (getting a false sense of connection and friendship), I scroll through my phone contacts or email contacts and choose someone to talk to directly, therefore getting an actual, real connection with a friend. Much more healthy.

I'm a bit advocate for getting rid of Facebook. It's made everything so much better for me, and honestly, all of the things I thought would be difficult just didn't really end up being a problem at all. If anything, sometimes it's a very minor inconvenience, but with a little effort, I can usually find a different way to accomplish whatever is inconveniencing me.

7. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

If you don't want to delete your Facebook, you can do what I did:

1) Edited my news feed settings, where you can unsubscribe from people by just clicking on them. Takes a while but it's worth it. I unsubscribed from a lot of strangers, like attractive girls I barely knew in high school/college, who sometimes post things that can be triggering for me. Also unsubscribed from all the stupid distracting stuff.

2) Edit your host file on your computer, or find a filter that will effectively block Facebook for you, so that it will be a huge chore for you to access Facebook. You will still access it when you really need to contact someone, but this keeps you form absent-mindedly tabbing over to the site while you're using your browser.

3) Try not to go on Facebook at all. Just use the Messenger app if you have a smart phone, or download the 3rd party Facebook Messenger app for your desktop if not. That way you can still talk to people, but no one even realizes you basically quit Facebook.

I still go on Messenger too much sometimes, because I'm always nervously checking my phone. To fight this, I recommend downloading a distraction-freeing app, like Forest, or some equivalent for the desktop, which will discourage you from using it. Forest is a game that allows you to grow a huge forest simply by NOT using your phone. You start the app running and then if you exit out of it, it kills the tree you're growing.

8. ALPHABat

ALPHABat Fapstronaut

Hey man. I've had the same feeling by looking at other people's photos. I also thought of deleting my account but just like you, I'd also like to stay in touch with some people. So here's what I did- I deleted the facebook app, instagram and snapchat from my phone. I still I have the facebook messenger so that I can chat with my friends without having to look at their / others photos. :)

9. LiveAnAwesomeLife

LiveAnAwesomeLife Fapstronaut

Check this out.

Everybody is trying to fake their life on facebook.
    Everybody seems to post pictures like billionaires.

Reality =

oooo and ALPHABat like this.