1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Living for Wanting Pleasure

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DannyCool, Jan 20, 2016.

1. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

There is this intention at the back of my head that I am using Hard Mode to some day be loved again and have great sex. This intention is quite strong but I don't think it is my true intention. This is really making my urges more difficult as the focus of my life is to someday get laid again. There must be some other way of channelling this beast inside me so im not so one track minded. Maybe this is something to accept and start thinking of other people instead of myself all the time. I know other people wish to find healthy love in their lives but how can you do this while being celibate?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. 1stworldaddict

1stworldaddict Fapstronaut

I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with desiring the opposite sex. It's actually quite natural. It gets replaced with PMO because it's easier than going out and meeting real women.

That being said, I've always known men who were confident with women masturbate less than men who are not. It's a double edged sword. The more we self stimulate to fake images, the lazier we get at it in real life. We start building mental barriers.

Men who can pick up real women don't have the need to masturbate, they don't need to pretend.

So... To answer your question... You need to go out and meet with real live women as often as possible, that way it isn't a fantasy but a reality. You start to see them as real things instead of objects for your dreams.

3. Yeah that's hard because you are still in that sense worshiping sex.... making it into something much greater than it is. And it will set you up for trouble big-time. Because what do you think will happen if you find the love of your life and the great sex is not so great after a few years?
    Somehow we seem to be able to mentally get into this state where we exaggerate what sex will do for us... in truth it does nothing for you... it's a surge of pleasure based completely on illusion... in that sense it really has the same function, emotionally, as a good laugh... it would be peculiar to seek out ppl solely based on whether they can make you laugh... likewise it would peculiar to start loving or hating someone based on how they make you laugh... It's just something that happens along the way with a good friend... just like pleasurable sex happens along the way with your mate... it's not an end unto itself.

4. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

legend - you have told me this just at the right time and has had an impact on me - thank you

5. ds112358

ds112358 Fapstronaut

I agree with others who have written before me that in our current mindsets, a lot of us place sex and women on a pedestal, which is not only inaccurate, but the frustration leads to objectification and disrespect towards women (men if you're a girl). But the question that needs to be asked is this: is sex, love and/or intimacy important to you as part of your value system. If you visualise yourself in three months' time, not just ideally and taking your personality into account, are those goals important to you. If they are, then you must do something about it or it will lead to a procrastinating lifestyle that lead to the addiction in the first place. For a lot of us here, sex and dating seems to be important but they do nothing about it because they are 'waiting to get rid of their addictions'. Not following through on life goals is one of the reasons we turn to addiction in the first place. I'm sorry if I am being overly elaborate or if this isn't relevant to you but the message is simple: if the goal in question is important to you, start putting effort and do it now. If it isn't, then don't waste time on it. This is important because fantasies and procrastination are the things that kill most recoveries.

Hope this helps. I think it has helped me writing this!

DS.

6. Or to put it another way: do you really believe this will make you happy?

7. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

I can't even think like that, I'm having a hard time believing that nice things and hot women aren't just meant for other men to enjoy while watch and slowly die in the shadows. What's keeping me from talking to them? I have no idea.

8. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

@JackStrident put it really well. We can sit here and think all day about how much we want that relationship and that amazing sex but the truth is, even when we achieve it, reality strikes and it's not everything we hoped it to be.

The best mentality is to remove our expectations about sex. We need to realize that it is not the focus of live. It will help if we occupy ourselves enough with other things that we simply stop thinking about it. And when we do encounter thoughts of it, we can easily push them aside and get back to our main focus.

@DannyCool , you mentioned that you want a different way to channel your Hard Mode desires than just wanting to do it for the sex. The truth is, not doing PMO allows us to live as real men and live out our true potential. It is everything for us. It's not just about sex. It's about living a great and wonderful life as we are meant to. I posted here about the replenishing of androgen receptors by abstaining from sex. This is what allows us to feel testosterone and feel like real men. Without this, with PMO, we are just empty shells of our selves. That's a big motivator for me. I want to see who I can truly become.

Also if we're constantly giving in to our temptations, it wreaks havoc on the area of our brain called the right prefrontal cortex, causing us to lose our ability to control ourselves in general. The resisting of temptations, the doing what is right, it will strengthen this part of our brains and make everything easier over time, so that eventually we're able to do the most difficult things for the greatest rewards (learning new languages, musical instruments, investing time in some work to make money.. etc). That's really something to look forward to!

DannyCool and Deleted Account like this.
  9. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Awesome comments on this thread.

'Living for Wanting Pleasure'. Well, there are different kinds of pleasure right? Like 'lower' and 'higher' ones; the first satisfies our animal nature, and the second satisfies our psychological/ spiritual nature. I experience an all but too temporary buzz with the first, and an on-going and building joy in the second.

Self development, self-determination, and general all round manly awesomeness has to be our priority right? All the other things, woman included, will come as a by product of that.

Go hard!

DannyCool and Deleted Account like this.