1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Studying?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by StartingOver, Jan 20, 2016.

1. How do you guys(or did you guys) study in high school and university. What methods did you use and how did you stay motivated and disciplined throughout the year?

2. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

What subject area are you studying?

3. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

I recommend listening to "accelerated learning techniques" by Brian Tracy - it's a relatively old audiobook filled with simple tips to improve your learning or studying. A second book which I would like to offer is - A mind for numbers by Barbara Oakley. Although it is aimed to people who want to learn maths better you can apply the advice in the book to any kind of studying/learning. My top advice from personal experience and the books is - find out what kind of learner you are visual/auditory etc. and systemize the content in a way you can percieve it and then repeat it and most importantly RECALL it (Barbara covers why recalling is way better then repeating it in her book). Second part - do study groups with your mates, not only will you be more social and feel better but you remember the content better and have a good time. For example I'm gonna do a study group with my college mates tommorow. If you don't have such outgoing people you can always study at the library - the other day I read there 5-6 hours and they passed like a second. Not only there are no distractions but you aren't tempted by the opprotunity to fap like you are at home and in my opinion that's HUGE. After all that's what we are trying to do here isn't it? But yeah mate go read the books and just apply the tips given in them, they might seem simple but they work. All the best!

Bemybest and StartingOver like this.
  4. I'm in highschool so I do a few subjects. Math, English and Economics are the main ones.

5. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

There're two types of procrastination: first is you don't like your subjects. second is you like them but it's hard for you to study the subjects. which type you in?

6. Hi I am currently a student at University. When studying you want to limit distractions. Therefore be in a quite environment, away from friends or family and keep all objects and things that will distract you away from your study environment aka cell phone! Set goals that will motivate you to study so you have something to work for and achieve. Best of luck man

StartingOver and BackToManhood like this.
  7. I've got the same problem, but I start learning what is important to effective studying.

StartingOver likes this.
  8. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

I'm at university and I usually do it like this:

- Wake up early in the morning

- Go to my designated "work area". Maybe you could make this a certain room or place in your home, where you will always do work/study, and only that. Keep your recreation, your internet time and goofing off, segregated to a different room or place. But my work area is an office on campus. It helps to leave the house, it gets you in the zone and allows you to realize that you've started your day now. So you could do it in the library instead. Learn to live at the library.

- Do the most difficult thing first. Study your least favorite subject first. It's going to take the most effort for your brain, so it's good to do it first thing in the morning, when your brain isn't tired yet. The brain is like a muscle, so it's kind of silly to do your most difficult "exercises" at the end of a day full of "working out".

Now, I understand that you're in high school, so you're not really able to make your own schedule. But I think the same idea applies to after you leave school. If you have stuff to study or assignments to work on, go to the library (or your work area at home, if you aren't able to travel on your own to the library) and do the hardest one first. Soon you'll get the hang of it. That's my advice anyway. :)

Deleted Account and StartingOver like this.
  9. I think that I will definitely start going to the library after school this year. I've never done it before but everyone seems to suggest this and it is an environment where I'll be less likely to get distracted.
    I will also do the subject I hate most first. I usually do my favourite subjects first to try motivate me to do work, but when I have to get onto the subjects which I don't like as much I get quite distracted and eventually leave. I will change this so I have something to look forward to by the end of studying.

Thanks for the reply :)

BackToManhood likes this.
  10. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

Best of luck to you! :)

11. ds112358

ds112358 Fapstronaut

Stick to 50 minute sessions, taking 10 minute breaks. That's how I do it and it has worked for years. Unfortunately, there is no 'trick' to motivation. It's all about discipline. You must keep your goal in mind and plan what you need to do to achieve it. I don't think there is much more to it.

Good luck :)

DS.

Bemybest and StartingOver like this.
  12. Bemybest

Bemybest Fapstronaut

here are many problems that I face, some of which feel so riduculously silly to my friends like binge watching, game addictions, pmo etc. I have lost all focus and direction in my life. I was actually preparing for an exam in august 2016 for which I had to study a lot(on an avg. 10 hours everyday). But due to these addictions I have lost the belief and hope of any success. I was very good student in school but in college life I began my path to these addictions. Now i cant come out of it. I was really hopeful of recovering and giving my best shot for the exam. More than succeeding in the exam, I was passionate about reading about things that would be part of the syllabus of the exam like Physical geography, economics, science, World history, Indian history, Political science, Environment, culture etc. But I have been a huge failure towards any of my goals. Even when I was at my peak during the SHL1 path I used to study for 5 hours on avg.. This happened till Nov.1 but then also I was constantly fighting my inner battles with addictions and faltering. Sometimes I used to relapse after 5 days andsometimes even 1 day. After getting through that period I had developed some inner dedication and got over addiction in Oct. and used to study 7 hours on avg.
    But this last one and a half month has been torrid and a regret that I cant get over as I had thought myself to come so far only to have fallen back to where I was back in june. Now I am in a vicious cycle of Tv binge and pmo+ game addiction + sport addiction. I enjoy those things coz watching shows like friends, mad men, parenthood, these all have feel good factor and Now I am addicted. Right after getting up I cant do anything but binge on tv and continue to do it till late night till I doze off that too when I cant keep my eyes open. Straight after writing this also I have strong urges to get back to binging and I would cede to it as I have lost the inner mechanisms that I had built to deal with them. Even when i start trying again regret and dissapointment overwhelms me to binge watching rather than trying again which looks futile due to past failures. Even if I dont think them as failures and count them as experiences it feel too hard to reach the level ofresistance and good lifestyle I had reached and also the time and effort required again to reach that level feels too much as then theres is that disspointment over not reaching anywhere near to my goals regarding my studies. If I start again then I feel I would have to give up on my study goals as they wont be achieved as I have been left too far behind. I had been preparing since oct. 2014 along with my friends but they have gone too far ahead in that pursuit and my battles withthese addictions seems so small and pityful to them and to metoo