1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What I think about self-help books

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DRD, Jan 29, 2016.

1. DRD

DRD Fapstronaut

Having read a number of self-help books, I think I may put my two cents in.
    What I believe is the most important aspect is that surely they may help, but you already know the basics. There is no secret, you won't just find one day that one information/technique that would make you say "Aha! That's it!" because there is no magic pill.
    It boils down to working hard and being disciplined, something you have probably been told since you were a kid. What I found out about myself is that those books often gave me an illusion that I was changing my life where in fact, I was not - like procrastinating by watching a video "How to stop procrastinating" when I actually had some work to do. :)
    Of course, they may be a valuable source of useful techniques or methods or provide some insights about life or change your attitude - but it won't work if you end at that - so get your shit done. :)

2. bender84

bender84 Fapstronaut

Interesting observations! I agree with a lot of what you said ( I am pretty sure I watched a video as well about stopping procrastinating while procrastinating haha), although the I did want to point out that there are self help books that are intended to help people with their mental health as well. I have read a couple, and I do think they provide important knowledge on how to deal with anxiety / depression / stress better. As someone who was dealt with all 3 of those issues in sometimes serious degrees, I think that these books helped me a lot.

That being said, my 6 days of no pmo pales in comparison to your 167 days, so I will be keeping your thoughts in mind.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. DRD

DRD Fapstronaut

Thanks for point that out. :) I assumed that the self-help books I was talking about are on succeeding in life, getting rich, etc., but I didn't explicitly state that, my bad. Of course, I completely agree with you that when it comes to mental health and related problems those books may be the necessary step.

And my 167 days pale in comparison to those who have two years or more (there are such people, really). :)

Deleted Account and bender84 like this.
  4. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

I've had the exact same opinion, @DRD . I've tried to tell my girlfriend that, who is always trying to get me to read her favorite self-help books, but she's stubborn. ;)

It all boils down to discipline, doing the hardest things first in the day, not overloading yourself with stimuli so that you can remain in the moment undistracted, and staying mindful of your long-term investments - developing habits that create a huge benefit in the long run.

Of course, for beginners I guess the books are useful, because they cause them to think more and more about this type of stuff. When it comes to habits, sometimes you can know theoretically what you should do, but if you haven't really pressed it into your mind, then you won't do it. Reading lots of the books helped me with that. But now I think it's enough. I would rather read something that I actually should learn, like programming or a new language etc.

DRD and Deleted Account like this.