1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My friends and I got asked "why can black people say the N word but white people can't"

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lazarus Shuttlesworth, Jan 30, 2016.

1. That ended up turning into a huge debate.. Personally, I do use the word as a term of endearment. what are yall thoughts on who can and can't say the n word (that ends with a)

Edit: and yes, I am black.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Deleted Account likes this.
  2. This is interesting... I find that strange as well. Not because I want to be allowed to use the word. lol but more because I don't understand how it can be a term of endearment and also slanderous/racist at the same time?

I suppose that's a similar argument, though, to women calling each other "bitches" as a term of endearment, which I also completely don't understand... lol

3. imo, there's a difference between the n word that ends with a and er. it's a word that's been flipped by our generation. Jay-z and Oprah had the same debate on her show. Jay-Z said that "people give words power, what we did is take the word and we took the power out of that word. We turned a word that was very ugly and hurtful into a term of endearment."

4. Huh, interesting. I can't say I disagree with that. Insightful :) Thanks for expanding on the reason behind it.

In some ways, I think it can have the opposite effect. I mean, I don't have many black friends, so I'm not really super familiar with that particular debate, but I think in general, using negative words in a positive way can kind of... desensitize the word, in a way? Which, in the way you described, I suppose can be a positive thing, but it can also be negative, especially across cultures or generations that might not understand the endearment.

But that's a really interesting thought to ponder... I've always believed words have a lot of power, but I've never really pondered the statement "People give words power." That's totally true! You've kinda blown my mind. haha that's one for the quote books, for sure. Thanks for the brain food :)

5. Np :)

Your right, in a way it can.

6. IGY

IGY Guest

Yeah, I have heard his before. I don't buy it, frankly. When you speak a word, how are people supposed to know how it is spelled when it sounds identical. I could call you a nigger and when challenged I could say it was with an 'a', not an 'er'. :rolleyes:

Dizzy Lotus likes this.
  7. "Nigga" and "nigger" are like "there" and "their" sound the same but different meanings. Two different words. And even if you meant it with an 'a' there are some black people who would still get pissed off (since your not black) and some wouldn't mind. Imo, it's all about context. Some of my non black friends call me saying "my nigga" not in a derogatory way and they also sing/rap along to a song using the word nigga and I don't really trip about it.

johnwick and Deleted Account like this.
  8. IGY

IGY Guest

That's just semantics. Personally, I would never call anyone a nigger/nigga! Here's another: Your skin is brown, right? :cool: So, why is it wrong to say you are coloured, :eek: when it is cool to talk about "people of colour"? It's just semantics! :rolleyes:

yoyo1 likes this.
  9. This would be my guess.. Maybe b/c "colored people" was the term used by white people back in the 1900s through the 1950s when they were trying to sound just a little bit less racist: A "colored drinking fountain," for example. Plus it's just an outdated term. It's like how "negro" used to be perfectly acceptable but no longer is. People of color sounds more PC but I'm not a fan of that term either lol

Dizzy Lotus and Deleted Account like this.
  10. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

I remember South Park said something about this. If I'm not mistaken the final conclusion is that not black people will never understand why black people get offended if people of other faces call them like that. I agree with that, I cant fully understand why they get offended, but maybe I need to spend one day on their shoes to start getting it.

Some black dudes have called me "their nigga", and that's funny because I take it as a compliment, like if they accept me in their social circle. Its also funny 'cause Im pale AF.

11. Yeah I got white friends who I refter to as my nigga lol I'll say the word mid convo with almost all my friends.
    I think it's hilarious when a white person is rapping along to a song in public and you know the word nigga is coming up.
    image.jpg

ShotDunyun and Deleted Account like this.
  12. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

13. Eddie griffen talks about the n word in this stand up :D (2:00)

Drift, Deleted Account and ShotDunyun like this.
  14. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

I didnt know that guy, he's hillarious.
    Here's a clip with Bill Burr:

15. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

I accept the notion that in time, a hurtful word can become innocuous or even a term of endearment. And I can accept the notion that <i>how</i> a word is used makes a huge difference. Lots of words we use today, that seem pretty innocuous, were once insulting terms. "Cops" comes to mind, although I don't know for sure that that term was ever derogatory. I've heard people use terms like "mick" and "kraut" to describe themselves, not others; and as a Catholic, I know many fellow Catholics who are happy to apply terms like "Mackerel snappers," "papists" and "Romanism" to themselves, even though they were meant as derogatory.

But that's not quite the same as saying that the rules are different purely because of race: that your skin color determines whether you get to say a word or not. I think that's bogus.

For one reason, what does "race" even mean? I happen to know my genealogy, so it's fair to say I'm quite white, based on my known ancestors. But for all I do know about my family history, there is plenty I don't know. My great-grandmother is a mystery. If she was black, or half-black (who knows), that makes me at least a little black. And most people really don't know that much about their history even that far back. If it turned out I was, say, 1/8 or 1/16 black, does that give me permission to use the n-word, say 12% of the time? President Obama, as we all know, is half white; does he only get to use the n-word half the time?

Above all, a rule like this divides people. Yes, there are real divisions in our world, and we do need to address them. But there is a world of difference between devoting energy to breaking those divisions down, versus working to sustain and defend those divisions. We might recall that when Dr. Martin Luther King said: "I dream of a day when my four children will be judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin," there were both whites and blacks who didn't like the implications of that. And it's still true today.

ShotDunyun and Deleted Account like this.
  16. Funny story. I play basketball with a bunch of black guys, a few white guys, and a bunch of Asians. The white kids and the Asians freely use the word the way blacks use it (as a term of endearment) It's generally accepted in our small basketball circle. Well, one day one of the white guys - who is a total wigger - just throws it in casually in conversation in front of 4 or 5 of the brothas. And they just stare at him, looking like they were about to kick his ass. Then they realized he was a wigger (loved rap, spoke ebonics, thought he was "down with tha hood") and just sort of laughed.

17. Eric'sBlue

Eric'sBlue Fapstronaut

Because of the huge agenda to upset culture, promote blacks over everyone else (while simultaneously degrading them), ...and to create double standards that fuel endless racial strife.

My honest answer. There is no real reason. It just is.

yoyo1 likes this.
  18. Merlionno

Merlionno Guest

I think for a white person to call a black person nigger or nigga is just childish just as you don't call a white person a cracka or whatever the fuck they call it just respect people for who they are not for how they look.

19. owler

owler Fapstronaut

Humans are virtually the same genetically, regardless of skin color. Many, myself included, believe the term "race" is an obsolete word. It exists as nothing more than to divide us.