1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Americans cuss a lot?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Pureheart, Sep 7, 2015.

1. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

It depends on socio-economic class I think. Many middle class Americans don't cuss. Many working class do. In movies and stuff, it gets exaggerated, and because of movies other countries will perceive our strongest curse words as not-so-bad (like 'fuck'), and they'll even use it a lot when speaking English if they don't know any better. Living overseas, whenever I do hear English I hear 'fuck' being spoken in so many different social settings by non-native speakers that it becomes like a normal word.. And then when I visit home, I hit my toe or something and I almost say it, which would be a huge taboo in my parents' household.

2. Eric'sBlue

Eric'sBlue Fapstronaut

Yes, and you can blame the worthless media for it. One really has to ask oneself; what's the point in cussing repeatedly, constantly in every sentence in almost every situation. There really is none, there's no redeeming quality to it at all - except vulgarity, which is your answer to your question!

3. I am not american but I cuss a lot.I was cussing up a storm since I was 13.I think the media played a huge part in how we interact with each other today.We have become so used to cursing that it has become like any other word.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

The answer is no. In some circles yes but usually when people are angry and irritated.

You will see in the Martin Scorsese movies people cussing but those are high drama situations and it's Hollywood gimmick cinema. In America, it's mellow and boring most of the time where cussing is not common for most people.

5. Totally concur :)

6. I've been relatively sheltered growing up. Not like... super conservative, but somewhat, and I've been rather shocked by how much Americans (or at least people in my city) swear. I mean I, myself, am not a super conservative person, so I don't think I'm exaggerating because of my "sheltered' background, but it was a bit surprising going to work with a bunch of ladies who swear like sailors, f-bombs 50 times a day. As someone else here said, people seriously use that word the same way that other people use "like" as a filler. It's crazy.

Anywhoozle, I don't mind occasional swearing, but in my experience, most of the country, or at least my city, goes far beyond that, for sure.