1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Programming

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Alex10s, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Alex10s

Alex10s Fapstronaut

Hey guys i see a lot of people here code in their free time... can you suggest any good java tutorials or books? :)

2. Lunar Devil

Lunar Devil Fapstronaut

google :p like codeacademy and stuff, you can get nice books from torrent sites for free as for reviews amazon is usually full of reviews, just in case no body replies to the topic

BackToManhood likes this.
  3. Mera

Mera Fapstronaut

I suggest setting yourself a fixed goal. It is always easier for me to have a clear goal. "Learning how to programm" is not one. I have been a "programmer" for about 3 years now and there is still tons and tons and tons I learn.

Good ways to get into it easily while having some practical fun is the Raspberry projects. However I personally started with the Arduino Uno. The Arudino Uno is a microcontroller. With this you could, for example, build a little robot that drives around the house. Or you could build your own LED clock. Or whatever you want.

If you want to only do software and no hardware I would still suggest you find something you want to do.
    Build yourself your own calander. C# would be an easy language to go about that.

Anyways, I suggest you read a little bit into Arduino and Raspberry, decide on a project and then come back here.

Good for you for making the first step into the world of programming. It will definitly benefit you, no matter where you go in life.

BackToManhood likes this.
  4. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

Yeah most of what I learned was basically from Google too (I'm a Java programmer). I think the lectures from university helped with the basics, like what is a class, what is a "for loop" etc, but after that, the Java-specific stuff you can really learn on your own. The way the classes helped me was that they set incrementally more difficult projects for me to develop, goals to work on basically, and that encouraged me to learn. But you could do that yourself also.

5. Alex10s

Alex10s Fapstronaut

thanks

6. Alex10s

Alex10s Fapstronaut

i prefer software, thank you for your answer :)

7. Alex10s

Alex10s Fapstronaut

nice, so do you know any other languages apart from java? should i start with an easier language first? i was already tought pascal and html in my school.. so i pretty much know how a program works.. would you suggest any specific sites , blogs or tutorials since u learned java from google ?

8. BackToManhood

BackToManhood Fapstronaut

Nice. Pascal is a great start. If you've got some experience with that, then there's probably no reason for you to start with an easier language than Java.

I used the official Java Tutorials by Oracle a lot:
    https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

You can find a good guide on the basics there, and then you're learning from the source, so if you dive into the documentation there you can get as advanced as it gets.

I know Python also, and have done some projects in C++, C#, Javascript, and Lua. Python is handy in a personal sense for getting a lot of data manipulation tasks done quickly. But I still use Java the most.