1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What religion are you?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Crispy21, Feb 3, 2016.

What religion do you practice?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2016.
  1. Atheist

17 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Agnostic

20 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Christianity

53 vote(s)
    42.7%
  4. Islam

14 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Judiasm

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Buddhist

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Other

13 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Crispy21

Crispy21 Fapstronaut

What do all you fapstronauts practice? I myself would consider myself agnostic. What about you guys?

2. Crispy21

Crispy21 Fapstronaut

If you have a reason as to why you practice a certain religion please post why!

I was raised as a muslim but i dont agree with their practices or any religion for that matter. I do not know if there is a god, im leaning towards no. But there could be.

bearbones likes this.
  3. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

Well although my family were Christian (to an extent anyway), they did not try to convert me or anything, so from a very young age I have always been something of a blank slate as far as religion goes.

For a long time I did hold a belief in afterlife, and God as well, however after going through depression and attempted suicide I eventually was sort of dissuaded of it. The belief that there was a God, in an afterlife (heaven), just made me want to off myself. I felt as though this world wasn't for me so thoughts of suicide always clouded my mind.

Thankfully, I survived, and came out stronger because of it. I no longer hold beliefs of any kind to heaven or hell, or a deity, supernatural, or anything like that. I'm now a bonafide atheist, and I'm content with that :)

Phibz, GlowLane and Crispy21 like this.
  4. I believe in Jesus Christ, I believe that he died for my sins. Grew up a Christian but I never really was that much interested until some things started happening to me. Like most people, I used to only pray when I was in trouble or needed something but never to simply say thank you for being alive and all my blessings that I know and have no idea about. I'm no saint but I do have a relationship with Jesus. And I do try to read the good news as much as I can whenever I get the chance. Can't get enough tof God's word. I'd also like to add that a couple of weeks ago omw to church I met a friend who's brother was getting baptized @ our local church and I asked him to come but he said things like "nah bro, I'm always doing illegal things, there's no way God wants people like me in the church" he then gave me dabs and jumped on the bus. I wanted to say so many things to him but he just ran off to the bus. At that moment I was thinking of that classic quote from some guy "every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"

5. theGECK

theGECK Fapstronaut

Born protestant, really came into my faith through Orthodoxy, was trained to be a pastor, and now am an atheist. Why? Because explaining everything in terms of "God did x" makes everything less likely. Sure, it's possible that a deity created all the stars and their motion, but it's not likely. So many proofs of a creator's existence stake their claim on something and one after another they get pushed down. It's like when we said that a computer would be truly intelligent when it could win at chess, but then that happened and we just moved the goalposts so that the true test is something else. Every proof I've seen for a deity's existence is either non-provable or is reinterpreted to mean something else when it was proven wrong. Christianity's amazing ability to absorb pagan cultures and rituals have kept it around far longer than the Greek pantheon, but one day it too will be relegated to a fascinating myth that people actually believed for some weird reason.

So yeah, that's the super short version of why I'm an atheist. That and, you know, the fact that prayers don't actually get answered, they just get interpreted after the fact as if they got answered. That one always bugged me.

Phibz likes this.
  6. Protestant Christian, yo.

Not gonna explain all of my beliefs here, but if anyone actually wants to have a rational conversation about it, I'm always game.

7. goodboy1

goodboy1 Fapstronaut

I am a Muslim and I practice Islam. I advice you to read the holy quran to know about islam. Don't judge Islam by seeing Muslim as many Muslims don't practice Islam. Quran is a miracle send by Allah to guide the humans to the right path. May god help u. Jazakallah.

Sajith63, Kazzy, Bach and 2 others like this.
  8. My mom is a non-practicing Catholic and my dad was a non-practicing Orthodox. Since the age of 7 I started to attend Catholic religion lessons. I liked the priest very much and became a serious Catholic soon. Unfortunately, the priest moved to Rome when I was 12 or so. Then I started being interested in New Age and (later) Marxist stuff and lost my faith. Now I realise they were shit, but I still am an agnostic. I think our puny human minds cannot really know if there is a Creator of the Universe or no. But there is also the certainty that love and wisdom are the greatest value.

Sentinel and bearbones like this.
  9. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

I converted to Protestantism before converted to the Catholic Church. I love the antiquity of it, and am not so much a fan of rationalism.:rolleyes:

bearbones and theGECK like this.
  10. Heffe

Heffe Guest

I'm a Christian. I decided to follow Jesus's teachings at a fairly young age but later really started investigating what truth is. I've spent a long time thinking about different religions and world-views and I've found that the Judeo-Christian world-view is the one that requires the least amount of faith to believe. There are still lots of questions and doubts that I have but, I know truth can be known so I'll keep thinking and examining.

Here's the logic that led to me believe in Christianity:

Is there an intelligent being?

1. Everything that had a beginning had a cause.
    2. The universe had a beginning. (there is strong scientific evidence that supports this)
    3. Therefore, the universe had a cause.
    Quote on why an intelligent force is necessary for there to be rational thought.

‎"Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Why I know that the writers of the New Testament told the truth.
    1. The New Testament writers included embarrassing details about themselves.
    2. The New Testament writers included embarrassing details and difficult sayings of Jesus.
    3. The New Testament writers included demanding sayings of Jesus.
    4. The New Testament writers carefully distinguished Jesus' words from their own.
    5. The New Testament writers included events related to the resurrection that they would not have intended.
    6. The New Testament writers included more than 30 historically confirmed people in their writings.
    7. The New Testament writers included some divergent details.
    8. The New Testament writers suggest that the readers of their manuscripts, check out verifiable facts. The writers even say this about about miracles.
    9. The New Testament writes abandoned their long-held beliefs and practices, adopted new ones, and did not deny their testimony under pressure or the threat of death.
    Jesus's rose from the dead.

This event the most crucial event in Christianity. I've examined many different theories and have determined that Jesus did indeed rise from the dead. I know, it does sound unbelievable, but every other theory doesn't work out logically or historically.
    These are some of my reasons why I am a Christian. I'm open to any discussion. =) Feel free to PM me.

Heffe =)

11. Heffe

Heffe Guest

They do have some beautiful buildings and artwork! Quite majestic indeed.

bearbones likes this.
  12. bearbones likes this.
  13. Veritech

Veritech Fapstronaut

The Pantheon is in Rome. It is the Parthenon that is located in Athens, Greece.

Kiwi and bearbones like this.
  14. Heffe

Heffe Guest

During my study, I found that there are at least 10 known non-Christian writers that mention Jesus within 150 years of his life. By contrast, there are only 9 non-Christian writers that mention Tiberius Caesar (the Roman emperor of Jesus's time). So discounting all the Christian sources, Jesus is actually mentioned by one more source then the Roman emperor! If you want to include the Christian sources, authors mentioning Jesus outnumber those mentioning Tiberius 43 to 10.

The non-Christian authors that mention Jesus are as follows:
    1. Josephus
    2. Tacitus, the Roman historian
    3. Pliny the Younger
    4. a Roman politician
    5. Phlegon, a freed slave who wrote histories
    6. Thallus, a first-century historian
    7. Seutonius, a Roman historian
    8. Lucian, a Greek satirist
    9. Celsus, a Roman philosopher
    10. Mara Bar-Serapion, a private citizen who wrote to his son
    In addition to these sources, the Jewish Talmud also mentions the historical Jesus.

Think what you will, but it's very hard for me not to believe that Jesus was a real historical figure.

Heffe =)

overcomefap and freedomwarrior like this.
  15. owler

owler Fapstronaut

My belief of a little more unique.

As a former Christian, one thing that always bothered me was how can we have free choice if God knows our future.

In the end, i have come to believe in multi verse theory. Every possible choice is made, it now at all. We live in both one small fraction of reality. I'll shut up before i speal.

16. Francesco

Francesco Fapstronaut

The Pantheon is a place AND a term used to address a loose association of deities. The building in Rome was a temple devoted to all past, present and future deities. By extension the word indicates all the gods, goddesses and demi-gods worshipped in a specific ancient pagan culture. Romans, greeks, egyptians and vikings had a pantheon of gods. It is a mark of politheistic religions. Induism has a pantheon too. Probably you got confused because the term itself is not latin, but greek ( "of all the gods", genitive if I recall well). I like history, mythology, architecture and studied some latin at school :rolleyes:

I was raised as a catholic, received Catholic sacraments in young age but my family has never been that much into religion. I was an atheist during my teens, recently I have been questioning my spirituality again.

EDIT: I know, my English is bad

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    bearbones and theGECK like this.
  17. ALPHABat

ALPHABat Fapstronaut

18. Francesco

Francesco Fapstronaut

Free will vs. Predestination?
    Theologists used to say that we are predestined to salvation. Therefore we have the choice to follow this path to salvation or turn it down in favor of damnation.

Simplistic, but flawless during Middle Age.

19. Heffe

Heffe Guest

I had a hard time with this question too. I found that this explanation helped quite a bit:

There are people in my life who I know very well. I know what makes them happy, what makes them sad, and I have a pretty darn good idea how they would react in certain situations. In the same way, God knows humans, including myself and you, so well that he knows exactly how we will react in every situation. God allows us freewill but he also knows the outcome of our freewill.

Does the help at all?

Heffe :)

Yesodi and theGECK like this.
  20. Aaron_0

Aaron_0 Fapstronaut

The Christian religion. because reasons. Probably mostly miracles and stuff.