1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Who loves their job?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Don Gately, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

I'd love to hear some stories about people who really love their jobs, or feel really fulfilled. I know everyone is different and some jobs that people really like wouldn't be good for me, but I'd like to hear some examples of things people like and maybe get some new ideas.

Thanks!

2. Sometimes I hate my job, and I think everyone feels that way sometimes, but in a lot of ways, my job is super perfect for me.

I own my own cleaning business. So basically, I have a bunch of cleaning supplies/equipment and I go to people's houses and clean for them. I have a pretty regular set of clients, now, since I've been doing this for about a year, so some things that I love are....

- I always know exactly what I'm doing everyday. No surprises, or at least very rarely.
    - I know my schedule every day for weeks, even months, in advance, so if I want to plan a vacation or something, I can tell which clients I would have to reschedule and who would be most open to moving.
    - I am completely independent, which is something I enjoy. I'm very organized and a bit particular, so it's nice to not have to explain my methods to an employer or a coworker.
    - I make my own schedule. For example, my husband usually has Sundays and Mondays off from work, so I've chosen to not have any clients on Mondays, so I can spend a full day with him. I have Saturdays through Mondays off, every week.
    - Flexibility! I can usually cancel on people or reschedule if need be, especially for holidays. And speaking of holidays, people are extra generous around Christmas time. I get lots of tips and gifts from my clients. ^_^
    - I'm also an aspiring author (soon to be self-published), and cleaning, usually in a house by myself, gives me so much time alone in my thoughts to think about/talk out loud to myself about different characters, plots, ideas, etc.
    - I make pretty good money, as I'm good at what I do and people are willing to pay a good amount for my services

Probably more pros than that, as well. The only cons I can think of at the moment....

- Taxes are a pain, as I have to handle all of the business stuff myself. Though we just did our taxes recently, for the first time since starting my business, and it actually wasn't nearly as complex as I expected.
    - It can be tiring, physically, and some days I basically go from sweaty cleaning clothes to pajamas, back to sweating cleaning clothes the next day, which can drag you down a bit.
    - I would like to be able to see people more often. That is something I miss. However, on the bright side, it makes me more excited to be social in the evenings and on the weekends, since I am not already tired of dealing with so many people during the week.

3. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

I think there are many things at stake for one to love his job. Very often, when one says "I don't like my job", it would be more accurate to say that he is not satisfied with one of more aspects of his professional life. It could be a dissatisfying relationship with co-workers. It could be the long hours. It could be the repetitive tasks. It could be dealing with a difficult customer. It could be a pointless meeting. It could be hard work which is not recognized.

When I started my current job I was a junior full of enthusiasm. After a few months I started to realize that not everyone was happy with what I was doing, and I became less and less engaged, leading to even more frustration. Surprisingly, things started to get better a few weeks after I got back on my NoFap track, most likely due to the increase of confidence after achieving my goals. I feel extremely fortunate for having amazing co-workers on my team, from whom I learn precious advice on how to deal better with my work, reduce stress and improve my performance.

My best advice to those who don't like their current job is first to ask themselves what exactly they are dissatisfied about. Once this is clearly identified, you can look into ways to change yourself, or the way you work, or your environment. If your most important desires and priorities are not compatible with your job regardless of what you have the power to change, then the best solution is, in my opinion, to start looking for another job.

4. ChiHov

ChiHov Fapstronaut

I work in the arts, the theatre to be exact. I'm sort of a jack off all trades, but I do have specialty areas. Mind you, I work in a highly variable field with very little stability, but I love my job:
    - every three months I am working on a completely different project with a completely new team
    - every time a show opens, I have an observable final project that I can show the world
    - any given day, I don't know what kind of ludicrous tasks I may be asked to do, or may as other people to do
    - I work cooperatively with artists from all walks of life
    - I can work in most any city, major cities are my bread and butter
    - I have to keep learning, constantly about history, literature, electrics, construction, sewing, painting, sound, and management

5. I don't enjoy my job, I'm gonna be downright honest.

What drives me to succeed and wake up everyday is my life purpose and vision for my future. A job is temporary, but a purpose, a fulfilling career, and dedication to humanity is where the deepest fulfillment begins to come from.

I'd love to hear stories from people who have that :).

Napav likes this.
  6. Great stuff mate.

7. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

That's cool, but in this thread I'm mostly looking for new ideas and stories from people who really do like what they do.

8. nightm4re

nightm4re Fapstronaut

I love what I do. As a UX Designer, you get to solve people's problems (by designing digital products in my case). In an agency I work for, we are helping clients achieve what they want, but also ordinary people with their goals too (buy someone a nice gift or write an article as a part of their job – just as few examples).

There are mainly two factors that make me enjoy it:
    1. Helping people.
    - one of the most fulfilling moments was when I found out we made one of our clients a millionaire by building an online shop for him. The shop of course also helps tons of people who want to buy the products they're selling.
    - as a part of my job, I'm helping a junior designer in our agency grow professionally. It's great to see him get better at his job.
    2. The craft
    - I absolutely enjoy designing interfaces for web and mobile and love for the craft itself actually made me get into this job in the first place

Other factors contribute to my happiness too:
    - I have a lot of freedom in my work: to some degree, I can choose what to work on on daily basis, I can delegate, I can work from home, from cafés, from around the world if I wanted to
    - it's very well paid
    - we're a great team of fun people
    - a diversity of projects - it's a blessing and a curse though :)

That said, I am slowly starting to be less happy with my current position than, say, a year ago. I realized there are things in the world I could work on that have much bigger impact on the world. That's what I want to do: work on something that many people are going to be using everyday and that will be useful for them. So working on a product as opposed to working for clients. That's another great thing about this career: there are so many different places to work at and many different things and products to work on. You can essentially never get bored (if you do, you just move).

onebookperweek and Don Gately like this.
  9. SONofVEnus

SONofVEnus Fapstronaut

i really love my job.... but it took me about 20 years to know what i like.... i was always honest to myself, and if i didn't like the job, i quited. for a few years i was without any job.... but i wasn't worried too much... i was trying to get something, but it didn't work out.... i was trying here and there.... and nothing work out..... in the mean time, although my partner was pushing really hard on me, i always said to myself and her, i will find it, don't worry..... and i was laying in the shadow a lot, relaxing, trying to fix other parts of my life, working in the garden etc. and leaving everything as it was..... actually i didn't even know what i am good at, and what would i like to do..... i am graduated painter and i found out it is almost impossible to make living with that........

and, then, by accident i made a painting on my dining table, and when i moved from one place to another i sold it on ebay...... i sold it for a very low price, but i sold it quickly.... i was very proud.... then 6 months past again, and i was invited to an exhibition, where i could show my artwork, but only from recycled materials...... so i had an idea to make a dining table out of old spruce boards.... i was working more than 2 weeks on it, i made it in a very special shape..... and it was sold in first 15 minutes on that exhibition......i was even more self confident...... than i made few coffee tables, just for fun, in a special shapes again, and my friends bought them..... the same friends ordered than paintings with a unique wooden frames, etc....... than i got an order for a new dining table from a person i knew barely..... than everything stopped for a while......i started to panic a little bit, because i needed to pay the bills. and one night i got really drunk, which means i drank 4 beers, hahaha, and the next morning i woke up very early, with a hangover, and i knew right away what i need to do.......... i opened a shop on internet and start making small crafts too, and then everything started... it is slowly growing now...... and i am improving all the time everything, and i being honest to my self all the time.... i found out, if i do something i don't like the most, there is not a lot of chance, people will buy it from me....... if i like what i do, and if i am satisfied with my artwork and photos, i am self confident, this artwork sells a lot quicker.......
    maybe it could help, maybe not...... i just enjoy my work, although it is a lot of sawdust, pretty hard work etc... i love it........... and i know if i will stop loving it, i will quit.......
    i wish you all the best.......
    follow your dreams, this way you will be successful, that is at least my experience.......

10. onebookperweek

onebookperweek Fapstronaut

There are some nice stories here.

I work at a job which I enjoy fairly well. The reason being, that I have almost no supervision, so I basically know exactly what I need to do, from the start of the day until the finish.

If you ever wonder which type of "career path" you would like to pursue, then you may want to consider the possibility of approaching the situation in a different way.

You see, I graduated college when I was 23, with two undergraduate degrees and about $35,000 in student loans. Yet, it was not until after graduating that I realized what I wanted to do with my life!

Paradoxically, I realized that there is no particular job or career path that I can picture myself going into. Rather, there are two qualities which I seek: complete, unassailable freedom; and unhindered creativity.

Once I started focusing on bringing those qualities into my life, I realized that either entrepreneurship, or self-employment (or a combination) would help me to have those qualities.

SONofVEnus and Don Gately like this.
  11. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

So i
    What kind of work or field of endeavor has allowed that much freedom and independence? I think it would be great, but I also might starve haha.

onebookperweek likes this.
  12. onebookperweek

onebookperweek Fapstronaut

I work at a small business. Since it is relatively new, the work is quite dynamic.

The trade-off, as I have noticed, is that my mind has to be working at full-speed, from the moment I walk in, until the day is over.

13. It's a great concept for a thread.

I have had all sorts of random jobs (working on boats, national park ranger, factory work, carpenter) now I work in sales. It isn't satisfying to me really but then neither were the other jobs I've listed.

The most enjoyable and satisfying job I have ever had was as a barman. Pretty basic job I know but it ticks the boxes I need to be satisfied - fun, good people around, fast paced, sociable, a strong sense of camraderie.... if it paid more I would probably have never left!

SONofVEnus likes this.
  14. As a side note I've read that hair dressers are the most satisfied workers of any profession. I guess it is sociable and creative which are some of the main things most people crave.

SONofVEnus likes this.
  15. SONofVEnus

SONofVEnus Fapstronaut

Why aren't you a barman, again? Probably it really suits your character... Follow that, man...

16. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

This is the reason i'm also a barman/waiter. Being my first job, it has drastically improved my social skills with people of any age. It's that ONE job that educates you to be aware of your customers mood aswell, and with that going you start to implement your charisma with whoever you are talking to. I do have to say, It's not that type of job that you wish to meet someone and become friends (unless you work for someone else) with customers or co-workers; I mean, it might happen if you are lucky enough to even get to know a beautiful girl.. But chances are low. There's to much back and forth/come and go unfortunately.

As for me, i work in a family run italian restaurant and couldn't be more happy. It does get frustrating after a few months of hard work, you just start begging for mercy for feeling to tired and stressed, but once you start seeing beautiful women in your restaurant you want to take their order immidiately and talk to them, This is why i love mostly my job.
    But other than that there are many pros (and cons).

Pros
    - You get the jist of it very easily. As you will get to know the basics faster than you can imagine and start working like a boss.
    - Repetitive as hell, you get to do the same thing over and over for days till the last day of your season. (might be a con depending if you get frustrated easily)
    - It's fast paced, Order & Serve & Clear.. Rinse and repeat.
    - It has cleared my social anxiety (partially). You read that right my friend, you will start talking a lot with everybody without knowing your anxiety is gone.. I do stumble on words sometimes.
    - It's suitable for anyone. and by this i mean, nothing can go possibily wrong. A glass breaks on the floor and everybody looks at your mess, laugh it off.
    - Well payed.

Cons
    The only thing that i witnessed is that it becomes more and more tirering, i went 5-6 months straight with very little days off through the whole season. It gets unbearable i know, i started out hating the job for making me feel defeated and depressed. It messed up my sleep schedule and felt also antisocial towards friends, almost misanthrope.

Mojito anyone?

Don Gately and SONofVEnus like this.
  17. SONofVEnus

SONofVEnus Fapstronaut

18. Maybe I would in the US but in the UK the pay is minimum wage and us Brits don't tip! No way I could support my family.

SONofVEnus likes this.