1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Drawing: where to start ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Yandere Scientist, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Yandere Scientist

Yandere Scientist Fapstronaut

Oy, everyone. I'll talk about something I'm doing since one week. I've decided to spend my time differently, it's not something I have to force myself, it has come naturally. I don't find any interest or reason to play video games anymore except for one serie that I'm a fan of. I just don't want to play anymore, I don't like it anymore. Instead, I'm focused on other things, "passion" like guitare, "working" out even if I wouldn't consider it as a passion, interested in reading spirituality stuff.

And: drawing. So, yeah, drawing. Basically I always admired those artists, those persons that can create things, situation, characters or create a new vision, perspective of some existing persons or characters. I always admired the thing about artist. It's really impressive IMO and something to be proud of. It's just great to create thing, to be able to put your ideas into reality with a pencil and a white sheet. It's something I would like to do. I'm interested in the manga style, a more realistic style. For those who know about manga-universe, I'm not into chibi or cute style, it would be something more realistic.
    For that, I have started some draw. I sometime do step by step draw where I put characters, but since yesterday, I also have tried some perspective draw, just drawing some scenery, or some figures like cube or circle. Truth is that people adviced me that it will help me develop the 3D perspective, and it will just be the best to draw characters for the following step.

That's what I'm doing for the moment. But I want to read more advices, because I really want to develop that passion, I don't want to think anymore "even if you would love to be some kind of artist, you wouldn't be able, you don't have the thing, you're not someone who can, you're not special". I don't care about that shit speech anymore, and I consider myself as someone great(not in "greater than anyone on this planet") and I just want to draw well, but most of all: to draw what I want to draw.

Please, if you have knowledge on the subject, give me some advices.

2. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

I have wanted to draw for as long as I can remember, and yet it has always alluded me. That being said I did recently ask a friend about it, his advice was to start off with shapes. His reasoning was that no matter what you draw, it always consists of basic shapes and pieces, which if you think about it is very true.

Now if you want to draw realistic people and setting, you may need to work on the human figure by looking into anatomy and illustrations and all that. The difficult part with humans is, quite simply, making them look human. So once you get good at drawing humans by themselves, you then have to adjust them for the setting they are in. making things look realistic takes a helluva lot of skill, and arguably isn't necessary for most things. You brought up manga right? well I would argue certain series are wonderful without look super realistic, whilst some are horrible while looking amazing, try to make the art style match the content if possible.

I'm far from an artist by the way, but I hope my advice is helpful to you :)

Yandere Scientist likes this.
  3. Great post,I have this problem as well with drawing what I imagine onto paper but I am getting there.I have a huge passion for drawing and manga in general.I would like to believe that one day my manga would become as popular as One Piece,Naruto,One Punch Man,etc.I have a thing for realistic drawings in manga format while at the same time developing your own style.As much as I love drawing,I only draw when I feel inspiration.This is a concern but a small one.I would suggest you look at some artists on youtube.You can also look at markcrilley on youtube.He is an american manga artist.He has a lot of helpful tips,for beginners and artists who want some direction.

Another thing I would like to add is.There is this great artist from south korea,his name is kim jung gi.I admire a lot and I mean a lot!!!.He draws from his mind and he does no sketching.It's really brilliant.He says that he doesn't have a photographic memory but rather it comes from pratice.I would say that you should try to draw everyday,even if it's just some minor sketches.Go out ,draw people out in public,animals,places things if you really want to draw manga in a realistic style.Things will be hard at first but once you keep at it you will get better.Lastly,if you into manga you should look at your favorite mangaka artists and see how they have drawn.

Yandere Scientist likes this.
  4. Yandere Scientist

Yandere Scientist Fapstronaut

melancholy king : I have watched videos from some artists, some because I wanted to draw what they did, other just because I wanted to see how they do it. But then I asked a friend artist how I should start, and she told me I should visualise what I draw. I should draw by using my visualisation/imagination while I do the thing, with the style I want to get. But when you start, it's really not that easy because you don't have the basic concept, so drawing is messy as hell and doesn't look like anything. But then again, maybe I should just draw humans after all. I mean I don't see myself drawing always perspective scenery or some things like that.

The 1000 Water Fists : I just saw some draw of him right now. It's really impressive I must say, such details, the scenery are really realistic. I'm impressed. That's not a style I would want to get, though. I want it to be realistic but not THAT realistic. I'm not yet precisely sure about which style I want, but I know I don't want it to be TOO realistic or to be cute. I would like it to be realistic yet to discern clearly it's manga. I would like my style to be similar to Yoshitoshi Abe, he really represent what style I would like to have. I just love his work. Really.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016