1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Posture

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by philstronaut, Mar 14, 2016.

1. philstronaut

philstronaut Fapstronaut

Just curious to see if anybody has any tips for improving posture?

I've got a fairly curved spine which causes my belly to protrude a bit. I'm not overweight, and I've been getting into my exercise but I think because of my posture I still look a little paunchy. Are there any exercises that anyone recommends?

2. A conscious effort to stand-up straight is really the crux of it; there's no quick fix. My brother used to have terrible posture but persevered with conscious effort and now stands taller than anyone.

Some say upper body strength training is good for stabilising the core and promoting good posture, also.

philstronaut likes this.
  3. philstronaut

philstronaut Fapstronaut

Cool, good tips, thanks.

I think the problem for me is I often forget about it, I need to be more aware of how I'm holding myself more of the time.

4. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

NoFap alone helps with posture. Also you can try doing planks five minutes everyday. That is helping me a lot, I feel four inches taller!

5. sih

sih Fapstronaut

I agree with all of the above advice. Core training, and conscience effort. I have the same issue, and do alot of yoga. One meditation thought I working with now is, "relax my hips".

6. Moogie

Moogie Fapstronaut

You need to fix it. I had force my back straight. Stand like superman with your hands on you hips to force back straight

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  7. Chest out, shoulders back. Concentrate on that stance and it will help straighten your spine. (It's called the alpha pose)
    Not surprising that spending hours over a computer causes alot of posture problems. While sitting at computer try hanging one of your arms over the back of the chair, it helps you sit straight and not hunch forward.
    If you look at stretches to open up your "thoracic outlet" they can help straighten your shoulders. (Especially the ones pertaining to nerve slides). Also exercises to build up your rhomboid muscles may help you.
    My chiropractor had me do the stretches years ago. I still do them daily. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
  8. Moogie

Moogie Fapstronaut

I stand up straight and put my shoulders back up I still put my head down when when I walked by people. I to work on this.

I been lifting weights. I do shoulder press. Shoulder Flys. Reverse flys. And bent over rowz.

sih likes this.
  9. Ikindaknew

Ikindaknew Fapstronaut

Spending a lot of time behind the keyboard doesn't help. that's for sure. Posture might be the issue, but you may also be "made" like that to some extent.

If you can afford seeing an osteopath for a consultation, that would be great.
    Besides that, all the comments from above posters have some value!

10. ifthisislove

ifthisislove Fapstronaut

I was told by my wellness mentor yesterday that I had a good posture. Yoga, planks and meditation practice might have had something to do with it as she also teaches and trains other yoga teachers!

11. philstronaut

philstronaut Fapstronaut

All really helpful stuff, thanks for the responses guys. I'll be trying it all out!

12. A good remedy for the looking down/putting your head down when walking past people is just to force yourself to always look straight ahead when walking around (unless it'd be dangerous like if you're navigating tricky terrain and need to look where your feet are going). Someone taught me this ages ago as a way to look/feel more confident when walking around, and I've been doing it ever since and now it's just a habit to keep my head straight.

Yoga is great for your back and good posture, and I highly recommend it. (When I say Yoga I of course mean Yoga asanas/poses, not Yoga as in general meditation etc)

When initially trying to adjust your posture, make a game of it. When you're walking somewhere, try and see how much of the journey you can manage with your back completely straight. Try and see how tall you can make yourself just by straightening your back, etc. Make it at least somewhat fun so that you remember to do it.

If you use computers a lot, stand up every so often, and when you're sitting down, lean back against the back of your chair. Never lean forward. If you need to get closer to your keyboard and mouse, move your chair closer, or move the keyboard and mouse closer to you. This is also better for your eyes too since you won't be leaned in so close to the screen, not just your back/posture! ;)

Speaking of chairs: make sure any chair or bed or couch you spend any decent length of time in is comfortable and not causing any aches or pain in the back.

13. Fappernator

Fappernator Fapstronaut

Yeah mainly just being conscious of your posture will help and then focusing on pulling shoulders backwards and stick chest out, this is mainly due to over developed front shoulders , so you need to work on your traps and back deltoids, ways to do this are bent over rows, chin ups, face pulls, as you do this you will begin to notice your shoulders pull back which in turn will help stick out that broad chest and make your shoulders look broader in the process

sih likes this.
  14. Thechosenone

Thechosenone Fapstronaut

thanks me later :p this has worked wonders for me, it's even alleviated anxiety.

15. sih

sih Fapstronaut

Love it!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  16. sih

sih Fapstronaut

This is a post from another group that may be helpful:

A lot of the human penis is contained within the body (surgery is the procedure of using pumps and moving them out) maintaining a better physique and a healthy lifestyle will help you 'reach your maximum potential', in addition to your spine, maintaining posture is also important (since the penis continues to travel in your body up to about the bottom half of your back pelvis) a slouched over body may end up being contorted in a negative way and actually detract total length.

At the end of the day, each individual person is different. Be happy for being you as you are and you can't go much wrong, the things i have suggested are merely positive steps to take.

17. Keep your head high. I always fight against bending my spine when talking to someone shorter than me. I don't think it's necessary.

18. Moogie

Moogie Fapstronaut

This video on YouTube has helped me a lot. Showed me how to get my neck straight so it's not bent forward. Computers and smart phones have not been good to my Neck and back.

19. sih

sih Fapstronaut

Me too sometimes.

20. Try to imagine a string coming out of the top of your head and is pulling you up. Try to keep your ears in line with your shoulders.