1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice helping to get started with work which I don't really want to do?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Greatness, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Greatness

Greatness Fapstronaut

I am doing a physics degree and have to pass certain kinds of maths exams, which are necessary for me to take, but aren't really fun. Often I procrastinate and don't get started with the work which I need to finish.
    What kinda things help you to overcome this problem?

2. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Don't let an early opportunity, especially when you're partially motivated, pass - because the motivation might never come again, and then you'll be forced to plow through it begrudgingly.

3. onebookperweek

onebookperweek Fapstronaut

Hi. I have been in a similar situation.

... ...

One idea, of which I have become increasingly convinced, is that the Law of Attraction works for every conceivable thing.

So, if you have the following thought: "I would like to be able to do this work"; then, by necessity, you will gradually come closer to the realization of that state.

... ...

I used to be a chronic procrastinator; yet, after beginning to read books on personal development, I eventually learned how to get the result that I visualized myself wanting, despite the fact that, at the time, the result was not actualized.

Personally, I have a religious foundation for this; but, throughout my studies, I have come to the realization that the Law holds for everyone, regardless of their religious beliefs.

Greatness likes this.
  4. Greatness

Greatness Fapstronaut

this "I would like to be able to do this work" sounds like an interesting mindset to me. I'll defs try it out. Once I read that If you say a thing often enough, ur unconscious mind will actually believe what you are saying, even if you didn't as you started saying it.

onebookperweek likes this.
  5. *KTWO!?TSOP©

*KTWO!?TSOP© New Fapstronaut

Don't smoke weed!
    Don't play with urself!
    Just do it!!!

6. freedom457

freedom457 Fapstronaut

If you don't want to do it you probably won't do it. I enjoy doing maths most of the time because by solving complex problems it makes me smarter and faster at decision making, it literally builds connections in your brain to strengthen your problem solving skills, I don't see it as something I don't want to do, I see it as a way of becoming smarter. I don't just study maths to get a high grade, I study it to understand how to answer every question. Don't study for grades, study for mastery.

Just remember, the better you get at something, the more enjoyable it becomes.

If you're doing a physics degree I'm guessing you're pretty smart already. Just get a high grade in the physics degree so you can get a lucrative job in the future, surely that would motivate you.

onebookperweek likes this.
  7. Wow! I have seen few people who take studies as their interest and not as a compulsion, do them for performing better in their overall life rather than just earning marks or a living.

8. Greatness

Greatness Fapstronaut

Yeah definitely. Who studies because of grades? I am doing physics, cuz I want to get my mind to the highest level it can be. I'd lie to say that its good fun tho. Its fun to become smarter and develop higher skills, but the work you put in isn't fun for me at least. Often its just difficult for me to get started and to not drift of thinking bout other stuff. True tho.. "The better you get the more enjoyable something becomes." I guess.