1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Improve Communication

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Napav, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Napav

Napav Fapstronaut

Hello all,
    I want to improve my communication skills and vocabulary.
    Can I get some suggestions which can be done regularly for small amount of time?

HalcyonCruiser likes this.
  2. Read a lot. If you don't know a word write it down for later then come back, look up what it means and memorize it. That's how I build my vocabulary.

Napav likes this.
  3. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

communication skills are best improved by, you know, communicating with people. Practice makes perfect after all, although books are useful references, in order for you to improve you must actually implement those skills and do some chit chat.

4. Napav

Napav Fapstronaut

Like ? I dont like to simply chat with people, I feel like I will make some mistake.

5. melancholy king

Unless English is your second language, or you have a deep accent, or speech impediment, something like that, you will be fine.

If you want to improve on anything, you must make a shit ton of mistakes along the way. I have screwed up and said so many stupid things that it isn't even funny. Who doesn't? People do it all the time.

I am currently in a public speaking class, well lets just say that I have improved dramatically since my first speech. Public Speaking is the most difficult form of communication you will ever use, if you screw up in a normal conversation its ok because only that one person saw you slip up, mess up in a crowd and dozens of people see it. I went out of my way to be one of the first people to speak every single time, because I knew that the anticipation would only make me more scared, and I wouldn't improve all that much.

Fear is your greatest inhibitor. Those who can control it, will always fair better than those who cannot. A good guide would be the more scared you are of something, all the more reason for you to pursue it. I don't follow this advice myself all the time (I really need to start working out more cuz) however I know that if I don't do it, I will never improve. Never. So just messing with people a little, just keep a positive disposition (don't have to smile, but act like you are happy) and maintain eye contact and all else will fall into place.

6. Napav

Napav Fapstronaut

Thank you for the advice. It was like revising Harry potter series. Anyways, thank you bro.

7. melancholy king

Harry who?

The more I think about it, the more I realize how important it is. I once went through an attempted suicide, the reason was that I completely lost all hope. I could've died back then. Just saying, although it sounds real cheesy, never give up.

I keep listening to Shakira's "try everything" back to back, puts a smile on this ugly mug of mine. Plus I freaking love Zootopia (going to watch it again this weekend) so that definitely has something to do with it.

sih and Napav like this.
  8. Napav

Napav Fapstronaut

G
    Thank you. Have a great life ahead.

9. Kiriakos

Kiriakos Fapstronaut

I have to agree with @Shugi Shugi. Read. But not Harry Potter. I have found that the fantasy genre has very little to offer as far as communication skills go. Sure, you might occasionally stumble across a new useful word, but mostly the words are useless, like "muggle" or "hinkypunk". I suggest the traditional novels. The ones with down to earth people in real-life (or close to) situations. Classical novels are the most challenging, but the best in my opinion.

10. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Besides learning new vocabulary through reading, try to write as much as you can as well. Read out loud what you write, compare it to how the computer says it. Find others who are also improving their communication and speak your native language. Also Listen, when you truly listen you do more than just hear what is being said, but pay attention to the tone, dialect of the person etc. You will also remember what was being said to you, aiding you should you speak to that person and need to open up a conversation.

11. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

You have to go out and talk to people. Its the only way to improve communication. Understand the basics and go out and practice. There is no other way to do it.

12. Can't be done in a small amount of time. Get things going in your life. Lack of communication abilities comes from lack of confidence. A man with money, a job, a girl, and a ton of things going for him is going to have an easier time expressing himself than a loser with nothing. Prepare for a long-term journey rather than the quick easy fix would be my advice. And for the record, you're NOT going to get better communicating with people by posting on an internet forum. It takes hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of IN-FIELD practice.

My job as a salesman requires me to not only know product, but communicate an idea using humor and months of expertise and years of pertinent experience to convince people to buy. I didn't just start out great. I worked hard and took it seriously. And now I think I am a confident speaker (at least when it comes to my business's products)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016