1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are people good or bad

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 9, 2016.

Are people good, bad, or blank

1. People are good at their core

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. People are selfish and bad deep inside

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. People are blank slates, it's all the environment

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Exactly what it says in the title. So you think that people are naturally good or naturally bad. Obviously the environment and upbringing plays a huge role in this, but for a general statement, what do you think?

Leanne likes this.
  2. Golgo 13

Golgo 13 Fapstronaut

Well I myself would be considered a bad person.
    But you have to remember that self-preservation plays a big role in it. Most people want to avoid pain and experience pleasure and if you get in the way of that then they will react hostile.
    So while I (and alot of other people) don't want to harm anyone for no reason, if our interest are threatened then we will respond with violence.

The more intelligent/enlightened a person is the more likely they will be like me and be selfish and cautious about the world/other people. We live in a world of scarcity (limited resources) so I need what you have nothing personal. My life is more important than yours (and from your point of view your life is more important than mine)

And this is the nature of humanity. We don't want to harm anyone for no reason, but if push comes to shove then we respond with violence.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  3. I think people are just people. Neither good not bad at core. Environment certainly effects our actions. But I don't think they are blank either. In fact, I don't even thing good or bad exists to begin with. Of course when we talk about surface level it does. Killing is "bad", love is "good", etc. But that's only on surface level. Inherently there is no such thing. Those are just made up things really. For something to be considered good or bad there first needs to be somebody who judges things as good or bad. In reality things are neither, they just ARE. Murder is not bad or good, love is not bad or good, murder is just murder and love is just love. Same goes for people in my opinion. People just are who they are, that's all.

Judicious 7 and Headspace like this.
  4. Good exists, evil exists. If we didn't label good and evil things good and evil, there would be no civilization and order. Neoliberalism says that people are just plain bad and only make selfish choices. People are indeed selfish, but also capable of doing unselfish things. We can be really bad but we can do good too. Human isn't bad to the core and doesn't only do evil things, but can't be fully good either even if it wanted and tried to.

Judicious 7 likes this.
  5. Leanne

Leanne Fapstronaut

Wow! I was grown up believing that all humans are bad/evil to the core. Just recently have I been doubting that. I would love to vote, but I just am so on the fence about it right now!
    On the one hand, if people were good to the core, why is there so much evil in the world??
    On the other hand, (I am spiritual and so) if God is perfect and good, and He created us, why would there not be that "finger print,"so to speak, of goodness deep within??
    I don't believe we are blank slates when we were born; I believe that there is a spirit born within us when we are born. And really, I just don't see why God was unable to create us good, as a representative of Himself.

ekoluomu and Judicious 7 like this.
  6. Hmm there are some interesting points. @Golgo 13 it seems like you have a more suicidal contract view of things. @Shugi Shugi you seem to be on a subjective end of things. I personally think that at the heart, people are good. Deep down everyone wants to be loved and respected, but as time goes on they get twisted or warped. Bad things jade then, then they in turn pass that on to others. This passing around of negativity is further perpetrated by conditions of scarcity that force bad options. But I think we are created good. That is my view, but I am happy to discuss it, I made this to hear other views.

.... Please vote people...

Leanne likes this.
  7. Judicious 7

Judicious 7 Fapstronaut

Interesting. Well, good and evil exists in this world. I think inherently, people have bad and evil desires within. For example, all of us here are capable of doing evil. However, people can show goodness and humanity. I think that's motivated by God though. Like, it's why we are born with morals instead of acting like animals. It's when we abandon those morals that we become selfish and show evil.

Leanne likes this.
  8. avatarivn

Well, in my case I used to think that most people are fundamentally evil and that was it, either black (bad) or white (good). Now I am bit more cynical but I am starting to believe that most people is both good and bad. Some people will act nice and smile to you at school or at work, then they will drop poison behind your back. Others might not like you at all and still will prove to be worthy of trust (at least on professional matters). Even the people you believed were your real friends might betray you and others you despise might offer you a helping hand.

<Rambling, feel free to ignore>
    I am an example of the paradox of all that. I am willing to do the right thing not because I expect to see the good in other people or because I will get respect or trust out of it. No way in hell that is going to happen. I want to do the right thing because I want to be true to my own values.
    <End of rambling>

9. RealLifeGamer

RealLifeGamer Fapstronaut

Good and bad are just human constructs and perceptios
    for the mouse cats are bad and for the cat cats are good.
    I had to smirk when i read what golgo wrote. And he is partly right. The law of the jungle prevails even in this day and age.
    people with some smarts may try to use more naive people to their benefit. But thats just taking from others like a parasite. In essence living a worthless life without value.
    Truly smart people make themselves unreplaceable. They create something and their creation gives them value. Sure you can life a thuglife and take from others. But
    Then you will never really be happy or successful.
    losers lift themselves up by putting others down. They can be replaced by anyone.
    winners lift themselves up by lifting others up. They are valuable. You cant replace them.

10. RealLifeGamer

RealLifeGamer Fapstronaut

Because god thinks free will> being good.
    No just father wants to slave their children
    thats why i am pro religion and anti
    Church