1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Entering into maturity

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Hi guys,
    I was looking for some help with my PMO problems and saw that I'm not controlling my emotions - they are controlling me instead. I feel like a kid, not a man entering 22 year of his life. I had read some books earlier and thought that was fun. They changed me a little for better men. I know that only I can help myself, so can you please recommend some books for a young men like me? Something about self improvement and controlling emotions because this is my Achilles' heel.

2. In knowing you are immature you are ahead of most western men today the vast majority remain pleasure seeking pouting children through their entire adult life...

There is a book "the slight edge" by jeff olson. No need to read it, as a book it's not grea but the message s powerful and very true. Here is a summary:

Given that the two most powerful things for getting real about life for me were:

Reading the first half of Eckhart Tolle "the power of now"

Start training your emotional control (getting comfortable with discomfort) with cold showers:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
    LongWayHome likes this.
  3. Machin

Machin Fapstronaut

OK, two things here, because I can relate to what you live.
    1 - The root cause of the problem
    2 - The treatment

What I'm going to write below may sound a bit woowoo, but I can swear (as a scientist) that it's much more than that, and it is very practical. And effective. I came across what I say here years ago, but didn't try : the problem was that I had not the maturity to understand, and it's only when I had become desperate that I thought I had nothing to lose trying it.

1 - Root cause : Honestly, you won't be able to really control your emotions, but you can prevent them to go amok. Maturity is a vast subject, and I guess it comes when you acknowledge where your emotions come from, and the wounds you have. No book in the universe will change your mind. But one can be used as a jump start. For me, it was "Taming your outer child", by Susan Anderson. It helped me to understand how to take care of myself. It's an "inner child" thing, but it's very practical and maybe you'll require some therapy to get through it. I wish I had it when I was your age...
    2 - Once you understand where your emotions come from, you'll need to practice mind mastery . The Big Me/Little Me exercises in the book mentioned above will help, but you'll also need a tool to handle what's going on in your life and be aware of your own thought process. That's where meditation can really help you. I tried to meditate alone (and failed) then tried an app called Calm (and failed), but I'm now using Headspace, and honestly, it's better that I thought it would be. You can try it for 10 days free, but it's a bit expensive after that (about 60$ a year). I decided to do it, and never regretted. Everyday I practice at least 10mn of guided meditation (it's different every time), sometimes more. And I'm calmer and more present than I have ever been.

In a nutshell : your emotional problems come from your wounds, from your childhood. I hate the "inner child" stuff, but it has been quite effective. Once you acknowledge the root cause, work on your brain response through meditation.

And don't forget : reading a book is just a jump start. You'll have to practice every day for years to get over it. So start now.

LongWayHome likes this.
  4. If your impulses to react is strong, you might need to fix some problems in the past.

I'm currently re-reading Homecoming by John Bradshaw. It changed my life a couple years ago and I'm revisiting it for further change.
    It's about healing your inner-child. People tend to ignore the inner-child in them and they keep their feelings bottled up until they act up and hurt others.

Here's the preview of the book

Machin likes this.
  5. noviceambition

noviceambition Fapstronaut

If you still feel like a child, then you don't have that many responsibilities to take care of. The only difference I see from an adult and a child is well the biological age, and how many more responsibilities an adult has versus a child. One easy one at your age is to ask yourself this question: When are you moving out of your parent's/independent's house? If you aren't generating your own income to take care of financial matters then you likely think you have "lots of free time". If you begin to prepare to generate your own income to support yourself or others, you will need to plan how you're going to do it. If it means going to school to get a degree or working to get experience to obtain higher income.

LongWayHome likes this.
  6. Machin

Machin Fapstronaut

"Homecoming" is what brought me to "Taming Your Outer Child" (TYOC), so I definitely agree.
    I think TYOC goes deeper than Homecoming, but that's just my take on this.

Neil Strauss took a similar path.
    He's well known for "The Game", but his latest book "The Truth" tell how he got out of the PUA stuff and got more "adult".
    By the way : don't read "The Truth", it's filled with hardcore sex and will lead to a relapse.

LongWayHome likes this.
  7. Monk1947

Monk1947 Fapstronaut

There are few things my friend which helps one of them is sharing. Controlling the mind is not an easy task. But it is possible. If you are interested please join me in my 30 day venture. I would love your company

LongWayHome and Harvey_1995 like this.
  8. I'd say the first step is getting a handle on what you are as a person. This is where Eckhart Tolle is really helpful. Because he explains with uncanny clarity how you are neither your emotions nor are you your mind. [---let that sink in for a moment---]

Emotions are just reactions to current and past events they generate energy and motivation but their source is "not real" so in truth they control and use you. Emotions are great if you have to flee from a grizzly or it's time to procreate etc... but when there is no actual need your emotions start taking on a life of their own, creating fake needs, that hurt rather than help..... Your mind is just an (rather amazing) tool to figure out problems. Excellent problem solving abilities... but like emotions when there are no problems it has a tendency to not 'shut off'. People end up stuck in their minds... they believe they are their mind.... and often the fictional problems they focus on, are their emotions... a viscous cycle... in truth it's kind of funny... though a better description is perhaps blindness or insanity.

(btw this is what therapy is: getting someones help to use your mind to understand your emotions... it's not completely without merit (you may understand something that allows you to transcend your mind and emotions)... but it's usefulness is very limited)