1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Judgment

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Bartimaeus, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Fapstronaut

Admitting my addiction to PMO has opened me up to the fact that I'm addicted to other things too.

Like judgement. I'm addicted to judging.

I seem to have an opinion about everything I see or hear. Politics, sports, media, gossip, you name it. Much of it has been prodded by the world we live in. It's like sports talk radio or clickbait journalism---there are all these things others want you to care about, but which honestly your caring will have little-to-chance of improving anyone's life or your own.

We are finite beings. We only have so much time and attention. Think of all the ways we burn these precious resources thinking or caring about things simply not worth the effort.

I've been finding that mindfulness meditation helps me catch myself when my mind is unnecessarily analyzing and evaluating things that have no practical relationship to my sphere of influence.

One exercise I do is that when I catch myself doing this, I just say in my mind's voice, "Judging." For whatever reason, recognition of that really helps in halting the train of thought and letting it go.

I'm trying to be more indifferent to things---to recognize that I spend almost all my time worrying about things not in my control to the neglect of the precious few which are. When I succeed, it's very gratifying.

Yesodi and ILoathePwife like this.
  2. This is good @Bartimaeus! Having opinions isn't inherently bad but worrying about things - whether they are in your control or not - is futile. Also judging people isn't great because we have no right to. I am too judgemental I think.
    If everyone took care of their attitudes toward other people like you do, the planet would be a more positive place.

3. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Fapstronaut

Amen, brother! I say this all the time. If people stopped trying to change the world and would instead change their minds, imagine the peace. If people cared half as much about what their minds eat as they do about what their body does, imagine their happiness.

Judgment is a good thing. A precious gift. How terrible it is to waste it and spend it on matters not worth its dignity.

4. Xanclas

Xanclas Fapstronaut

After some mistakes in life, I've learned to better judge myself and my actions rather than pointing the mistakes of others. It's easy to judge from a comfort zone. But when you find yourself in the same situation as the other person... well. Maybe you'll think twice before jugding the next time.

Bartimaeus likes this.