1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Inspirational Songs About Addiction & Recovery?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ted Martin, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Fapstronaut

Music can be so powerful and we can really connect songs with how we are feeling or with a point in time in our lives. I think it can even help bring words to our emotions or what we are experiencing. I thought it might be cool and maybe helpful to start a thread where we share songs that we connect to and have found to be inspirational and meaningful in our journey of recovery and healing.

Here are two that really speak to me personally. The first one I claim as an inspiration but also is aspirational for me.

2. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Fapstronaut

Another really good one that makes my wife and I cry when we play it.

3. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

4. The late great David Bowie did a song about his drug use - Always Crashing In The Same Car. It's always seemed incredibly accurate to me. As long as you continue to use whatever is a problem for you, you are always crashing in the same car.

5. openminded

openminded Fapstronaut

Just listen to the lyrics :) It's about the dreamers and people who forget to act

6. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Fapstronaut

I like the vibe of the song and the music too. Kind of chill. May we not just dream about breaking free from PMO but act on that desire. May this "be our year" that we all find freedom! :)

7. jfromcr

jfromcr Fapstronaut

My go to favorite is One More by Superchic[k]

I also like Hurt by Johnny Cash (Originally Nine Inch Nails) and Rusty Cage by Johnny Cash (Originally Soundgarden, thanks @sumofallbeers)

Hear My Cry by 38th Parallel
    Closer to Myself by Kendall Payne
    Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.
    Get Away by Danny Gokey
    It's On by Superchic[k]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  8. I'm not a correction nazi, but in case you want to hear the original, Rusty Cage is SoundGarden, not NIN. :)

9. jfromcr

jfromcr Fapstronaut

TheSumOfAllBeers likes this.
  10. Indeed! Soundgarden is a great band. Their lead singer, Chris Cornell, recently came out with a new solo album, Higher Truth. Really good cd. I'm loving it.

Aaaand I have thoroughly derailed Ted's thread. Dammit. Sorry, Ted!

11. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Fapstronaut

Haha. No worries bro. All things music are all good! I was in college in the early to mid 90's and a huge grunge fan so quite familiar as well with Soundgarden singing that one.:D I have to say that I love the Johnny Cash versions of both the NIN and Soundgarden songs. Hurt is soooooo powerful and moving. It really elicits feelings and emotions in me anytime I hear it. I mean that in a really good way.

TheSumOfAllBeers likes this.
  12. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Fapstronaut

Nice use of the "Going through changes..." sample from Ozzy!

13. Thank you for asking this question! As I was thinking of some recommendations you just reminded me of some of my favourite songs.

14. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Fapstronaut

Hey, I believe recognize that video thumbnail on the Trip Lee song. ;)

15. Gotta admit, I frequently have this Pearl Jam song on the brain when I am in this forum.

16. i_wanna_get_better1

i_wanna_get_better1 Fapstronaut

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to add my inspirational song that helped me through my reboot. (And I also want to give this thread a bump.) Our problems are emotional and we need to fight back with positive emotions when possible.

I liked this song by the Bleachers so much I used it as my username.

17. Well damn there's gotta be hundreds of thousands to choose from.

So I'll just add my 2 cents and say peace out best wishes yall in this thread,

18. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Ah. Through Fire.. A.K.A. Emphatic.

Which leads me to...

What an amazing fucking goddamned underrated song. In my personal top 3 favorites of all time.

Also in my top 3, and also related to addiction:

And in closing, here's a song from one of my favorite bands, Sixx:A.M. The song's lyrics contain an excellent story on beating addiction by Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx...