1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms: my anti-fap

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Jehu2077, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Ack Ack Ack

Ack Ack Ack Fapstronaut

Next thing you know they'll be trying to pass a law banning dogs after an isolated incident of a "mass biting".

2. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

Please keep the politics out of this thread, there are plenty around this forum for just that.
    Anybody on here have any suggestions for a good .22 target plinker? I haven't had one for years and I miss the fun of shooting away and not counting the $$ with every round discharged. I also firmly believe that a 22 is the best way to practice shooting fundamentals which you then apply to the bigger weapons.

3. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

Anybody here who carries have any recommendations on a good gun belt? My Crossbreed holster and FNX are a bit too much for even my best belt these days.

4. MFCSteele

MFCSteele Fapstronaut

Get a cobra. I got a leather belt from 5.11. I know it's a flashy brand but it works with ll the crap i wear

5. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

I don't wear anything on my belt besides my holster. Have a snagmag pocket magazine carrier so those don't go on the belt either. It's IWB so I get by with my larger, hardier belt. For my Shield pretty much any belt works, though I usually use my 5.11 nylon web belt. I'll have to look into Cobra.

6. infinitely_for_the_good

infinitely_for_the_good Fapstronaut

Hi there... Being from 'The South', I've always been around firearms; my dad had me deer hunting at 8. So between what he's handed down to me and what I've purchased on my own, I have a fairly nice collection of firearms. Since you mentioned having an FNX 40, I'll gloat a little and mention my favorite pistol in my collection: FN FiveseveN. ;)

The short list:
    Pistols:
    Browning Buckmark SRX .22lr
    Ruger MkII .22lr
    FNX-9 9mm
    FN FiveseveN 5.7x28
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag

Long arms:
    Winchester Model 12 12-, 16-, and 20 gauge (anyone know of a .410 for sale? ;) )
    Enfield Mk III .303
    BM AR-15 5.56
    Win Model 94 .30-30
    Howa 1500 7mm-08

You didn't specify pistol or rifle, so I suggest both. I have a Browning Buckmark that's excellent plinker. I use it as a snake gun when out in the woods. If you want something in between a plinker and a target .22 pistol, the Ruger Mk III is an EXCELLENT choice. I have a Mk II with an 8" bull barrel that can drive tacks at 25 yds. For a .22 rifle, Ruger 10/22. They're relatively cheap and a TON of aftermarket accessories.

--Infinitely

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  7. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

It's pistol that I'm looking for. I've heard good things about the Ruger Mk III. Hickock45 did a good review of the new S&W Victory. Low price point, lots of customization options. We'll see though, that buy is a little ways off. Now I'm itching to get a rail light for my FNX and then a short scope for the SKS.

8. infinitely_for_the_good

I've been extremely happy with the Burris AR-536 on my AR. If 5x magnification is too much, there's the AR-332 which is only 3x. You might look at those for your SKS.

--Infinitely

9. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

5x is a little high, but 3 would be good. I've been drooling over the NC Boar Blaster Combo, decent reviews (which is about the best you can expect for an SKS scope, my last one was awful) and it checks all the boxes. Literally designed for blasting wild boars.
    In the distant future I'm thinking I'd like to build an AR, or maybe an AK variant since I love 7.62 so much and hate having money.

10. infinitely_for_the_good

I've REALLY been thinking about an AR-10 platform. But my next purchase will probably be a sub-compact of some sort. Still researching...

11. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

So I finally broke down and bought a "tactical light" for the "tactical rail" on my FNX. I've wanted one for a while, it's a TLR-4 flashlight/laser combo. It's got great reviews, not terribly expensive but definitely not cheap either. I'm looking forward to taking it to the range and sighting in the laser. The way I see it, a handheld flashlight at least is essential for home defense. With the exception of night sights a laser is perfect for making sure you aren't throwing rounds all over the place and possibly endangering others/bystanders.
    I only intend to use it at home, I don't want the extra bulk or weight when I'm carrying the FNX. I've shot with one attached before, it comes on and off pretty easily, but fits secure.

12. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

Tested the light, fantastic buy. I highly recommend it. Runs about $125 on amazon. Has multiple keys to allow attachment to almost any configuration of rail. Tested the flashlight and the laser out to 25 yards with excellent illumination by the flashlight even all range lights energized. The laser was also clearly visible out to 25. Easy to zero in and held zero for over 80 rounds both slow and rapid fire. The laser also helps detect improper form, allowing me to see whether I was pushing down left or right or pulling my shots. I'd buy it again at this point. We'll see how it does after some more firing but I don't intend to attach it every time I go to the range as I carry this weapon without it.

MFCSteele likes this.
  13. MFCSteele

MFCSteele Fapstronaut

Raven concealment holsters.
    Look into them. Theyre pretty neat

Jehu2077 likes this.
  14. HoraceGee

HoraceGee New Fapstronaut

Serial killers talk about how cool guns are. Productive people who contribute to our society may have guns but they don't go around glorifying how cool it is to own one and how badass are using one. It's a classic example of overcompensating for one's shortcomings .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  15. Jehu2077

Jehu2077 Fapstronaut

I'm pretty well set on holsters, Blackhawk makes a decent Appendix IWB and my Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe works better than I ever could have expected. Adding a genuine gun belt to the setup makes using either one much more comfortable as well.