1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you ever really gain trust back?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by MsPants, Sep 16, 2016.

1. MsPants

MsPants Guest

My So has been an addict since before I met him. We have been together for 5.5 years, bought a house together, got engaged...I always knew something was wrong. ED, DE, lack of sexual interest, being secretive, taking off for party weekends "last minute" so I couldn't book off work, never wanting to move forward until I am at my breaking point and ready to leave him, taking all his anger and aggression out on my daughter, talking to old girlfriends and defending his right to do so, telling me I am the only one he ever had sexual problems with...Why the hell have I put up with all of this?

I confronted him over 2 years ago with this addiction and he lied. 4 months ago I had to almost beat the admission out of him. He agreed to reboot, but I never felt like he was fully admitting to himself how bad his addiction was. Kicked him out for 3 months, he showed some major changes, especially with my daughter, we went to counseling and he finally moved back in a few weeks ago. I was a wreck again when he moved back in because I felt things shifting backwards with our intimacy and his attention to me. I kept telling myself it was my own insecurities and need to trust him, and he actually told me the same thing. Then he started experiencing ED again. I knew it was all too good to be true. He spent the entire 4 months of his reboot saying he had no urges, specifically saying he hadn't "done" anything, even when I specifically asked if he was looking at pics or P.

It was all a lie. I found a ton of evidence on his phone. I tried throughout his reboot to trust him and was not doing any investigating until this week. He admitted he started looking at pics and videos after he moved back in. Then I found evidence that he had cheated on me a few years ago and he denied through his teeth, then slowly over the next day, I got little bits of truth until he finally admitted he cheated "once". I ended up looking at every account I could think of and found that he never stopped looking at P, and P-subs. His entire reboot was a lie. He tricked me into letting him move back home, to start planning our wedding, even try to get pregnant.

He moved out again. I found out one specific day that he cheated on me and realized I had left for a trip that day. He planned to cheat on me that very day. Two days after that he was messaging me telling me how much he missed me. I don't believe he only cheated once considering he was so eager to do it the second I left for a trip. We only saw each other mostly on weekends at that time so he had 5 full days of free time for the first year of our relationship. The first 8 months of our relationship he was not that engaged with me, but was constantly texting and seeing me on the weekends (very confusing for me).

I am a complete mess. I'm physically shaking constantly, heart palpitations, can't sleep, can't eat, having a hard time at both jobs. How the hell do I now trust him? I know the addiction effects his brain, but emotionally how can I get over all of this? I don't think I can ever trust what he says to be true. How do I go on in a relationship when I can't trust anything that comes out of his mouth? What kind of life is that for me? I had begun to trust him a couple of months ago but he was still lying and never did take this seriously. Now that trust is completely gone. Everything we had was a lie.

2. I'm am so sorry that you had to go through all that, only to have your hopes crushed to smithereens. I hate to be the smartass here, but the addict has to admit the addiction himself, you can't beat it out of him. Always trust your gut, my wife knew exactly when I was consuming P or P-subs. About how you go on with this relationship, I don't know. You mentioned that he's reading what you're posting on here, if he still hasn't realized what damage he's inflicting on you, I don't know what will. Reading your post again makes me really angry, but at the same time, I played a similar hide&seek with my wife for a decade, so I'm in no position to advise you to stay or leave. From my experience, brutal honesty and continued effort on self improvement were the keys to regaining my wife's trust, but it was a hard and painful process for her nonetheless. Now do what you tell every other SO on this forum, take care of yourself now, first and foremost. Don't let his addiction drag you down.

3. MsPants

MsPants Guest

Thanks for your support. I don't actually know if he reads anything that I post or in the relationship forums, he mostly looks at rebooting and other forums. I am going away this weekend, need to get out of the house. I had this weekend booked off for a date night with him and can't sit at home.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
  4. True-Self

True-Self Fapstronaut

My question is has he ever done anything during your relationship to earn or be worthy of your trust? Based on what you've written above it sounds like he has been consistently deceitful for your entire time together. Given this, it seems like placing any trust in him would be unwise as it goes against his established character.

5. MsPants

MsPants Guest

That's exactly how I feel. He has not been genuine with me since the first time we went on our first date. I thought I loved him, but realize that I loved someone that never actually existed

6. AllanTheCowboy

AllanTheCowboy Fapstronaut

I don't know if this helps, but the best way I can describe the addicted decision making process is like this:

For a normal person, an idea or urge or whatever presents itself, and by default nothing happens. If you make a conscious choice - an active decision - you act on it.

As an addict, the addiction-driven urge or idea or option starts itself in motion, and by default you act on it. If you make a conscious choice - an active decision - you halt it, and nothing happens.

That's why we can say hurtful, and seemingly nonsensical things like "I can't believe I *let this happen*." I realize now how absurd that sounds, and how it sounds like we're trying to make it "not our fault." But when I said those words, it was with shame, grief, and feeling fully responsible for all the things I did, and all the things I allowed to happen.

I know that doesn't change all the lies, and all the ways the trust was broken. But so many of the actions I took when I was addicted were not by deliberate choices to take the action, but rather by failure to stop a freight train of addiction-driven desire/need. It was me. I did it. I failed. I didn't take steps to prevent it happening. I didn't listen to myself, or others. Everything I did is on me, but dammit I tried not to. And I did things as terrible as what you're describing. And I was trying not to, and hating doing it, and hating myself for doing it, and rationalizing it all at the same time. Even now it's hard to re-imagine what it was like being inside my head at the time, and I was freaking there.

Am I helping? I feel like I'm not helping. Just don't give up. Don't give up!

7. MsPants

MsPants Guest

Thank you for trying to help. I really don't feel that he was ever ashamed of what he was doing. He never showed any guilt or shame until after I kicked him out last time, and even then it was not as genuine as he wanted me to believe. I only saw some of the shame the first few days after i kicked him out, then it went away when he thought he had another chance with me. It faded to nothing this past month. Then some shame again after i found out everything that was still going on, and the cheating "once" It feels like he only feels remorse for getting caught. That's how it feels. He never even believed he had an addiction really. Even after he admitted to having an addiction, he still kept saying his addiction wasn't really that bad and that he had no issues whatsoever. I just don't believe his shame again now. Still keeps holding onto lies to protect himself instead of being honest and allowing me to have a choice about how much I can forgive.

8. AllanTheCowboy

This is just speculation on my part of course, but here's my speculation. His brain's still not working all the way. It's still rationalizing the wrong actions of the past and present. It's in that limbo where he's intellectually aware of the reality of the wrongness of his actions, but doesn't feel it emotionally/intuitively just yet .. kinda. I'm basically taking a guess at what point of my recovery is most analogous to where he is now.

So, if I was to go on guessing, I would guess you are empathically detecting his emotional detachment from his actions and their impacts on others (and himself) and it seems like emotional dishonesty. And that isn't an inaccurate description, objectively. Whereas he's actually still trying (again still just guessing) to reconcile his intellectual and emotional awareness. It's a very long and shitty period of cognitive dissonance, and looking back now I wonder if it produces its own form of brain fog.

If my guesses are reasonably accurate, I'd say your intuition and assessment are correct, but that you are both actively fighting the same enemy. It's just that for him, he's battling one part of himself against another, whereas for what you can see, all of it is embodied by him. Perhaps you could find a way, together, to abstract the things you're both fighting to destroy, and fight them together.

Maybe -- more conjecture and musing here, not expert advice or anything -- you're in a similar place, where you can intellectually understand what's going on for him and how part of him is honestly trying, but can't emotionally reconcile that with how he's hurt you. And your internal dissonance isn't the same, because you didn't do anything wrong, and there's no part of it that needs to be defeated, or eradicated. Yours is completely justified and rational pain, caused by him. But I just wonder if the symmetry that does exist can be a way for you to understand his internal struggle, and then let him know you're on the same side as the part of him that we all want to see win. I'm not saying "oh just understand what it's like, and don't be so hard on him." If anything, it might allow you to be even harder on him, without either of you feeling like you're being too harsh. You know ... "what percent of that is you talking, and what percent is the addiction? I'm here for you, not your addiction, so if *it's* the one talking to me ... FEEL THE WRATH OF MY HEAT VISION!"

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I was really sloppy with the way I described what I was trying to. I am NOT trying to offer any excuses or justifications for his behavior. If I inadvertently did, I apologize. If anything, I want to help you both attack the monster that lives inside him. Haha okay this gives me an idea. I'm going to give my monster a name, so I know who I'm killing.

desperatehousewife and MsPants like this.
  9. MsPants

MsPants Guest

T
    Thanks for the small laugh you produced from your pic and the idea of you coming up with a name for your monster. And thank you for your ideas. They do make sense, I just don't know if I am willing to fight this anymore with him. Not sure if the damage is too much for me. At this moment, I would say it is time to walk away. But I can't be sure how I will feel in a week. I am not contacting him anymore. I need my space to think about me for the first time in our relationship.

desperatehousewife likes this.
  10. ILoathePwife

ILoathePwife Fapstronaut

I'm so sorry this has happened. I think you are doing the right thing.

11. i_wanna_get_better1

i_wanna_get_better1 Fapstronaut

Trust is a fragile and fleeting thing. Like Humpty Dumpty, once it's broken it's very hard to put back together. To not trust trust someone is to not feel safe with them. And feelings safe is a basic emotional need. It is fundamental for a relationship. Without it there cannot be any future with someone. What makes it worse for you is that there have been a series of betrayals... there hasn't been a clear turn around... and every time you get your hopes up they get dashed to pieces. A person can only go through this so many times before it's just too much to recovery.

At my wife's request I partially read a book called "I Love you but I don't trust you" by Mira Kirshenbaum. One chapter explores the question "Is it worth trying to mend this relationship?" Here are some questions that might push you in one direction or another.

1. Would you want this relationship if the trust could be restored? Is there enough other good stuff to salvage?

2. Does the fact that this betrayal happened ruin everything for you? Has the betrayal changed him so drastically in your mind that you could never forget what they did? Are they like spoiled meat in your mind?

3. Can you imagine the possibility of forgiveness? Even down the road? Does your unwillingness to forgive make you feel even worse about yourself?

4. Does the person you mistrust care about how you feel? Is the other person so broken that they don't possess the tools needed to empathize or help heal your wounds? Has the other person taken any steps to show remorse or shown signs of change?

5. Can the other person work on your relationship with you? If you gave the other person a chance are they willing to try?

These questions may not give you a definitive stay or go answer. They're meant to help you see if there's any basis for hope. The author also emphasizes that you can delay making a decision. You can always end the relationship, but you can't always restart it.

You know he's an addict and he is still showing addict thinking. It's your prerogative how much of that you want to influence your decision. The initial stages of recovery can be very introspective and make him be very inwardly focused. But from the start he should be thinking about how to make things better with you. Fixing broken and damaged relationships is an important process because real people are more important that than fantasies.

It's up to you to decide if there has been one betrayal too many. I hope these questions give you some food for thought.

12. MsPants

MsPants Guest

Thank you for these questions. I have a lot to think about. The question about how I would feel about myself if I forgive him, right now I feel I will lose all self respect. I am raw right now and know I need to think it all through carefully. Having contact with him influenced my decision to work things out last time and I ended up in a worse situation than before. If he was honest about struggling, I would have been supportive, but he chose to manipulate my trust and support. I will be giving myself as much time as I need to make a decision, without his influence.

All of these questions are very helpful for me. Thank you again.

LizzyBlanca and ILoathePwife like this.
  13. This aint advice (really bad advice) but I just want to say good job for putting up with this for all that time. I'm sorry it had to come to this, but hey. If I were you I would have ditched him long ago. You are dedicated. I hope you feel better.

MsPants likes this.
  14. MsPants

MsPants Guest

It is difficult in the moment of things to see the overall effect someone has on you. You let little things go, convince yourself that it's just a one time moment of hurt, or confusion, or distance...it goes on or stops for a bit, but then something happens again. All the while, he was telling me how I am the best person he has ever been with, loves me the most, wants to be with me...then another thing happens. Before you know it, it's been 5 years. Looking back in retrospect, all of the bad has outweighed the good, but in the moment/days/weeks it seems like its good. That is what is so confusing for us SOs of addicts. Not the day to day, but looking back at all the bad, lumps up into a huge pile that taints everything else that was good. It is hard to see it from the inside at the time. We have some good times, but his addiction has always been lurking and I was never aware of the cause of his behaviours. I have put up with a ton, now looking back and writing it down, more than I realized in the moments.

15. I'm happy I found nofap. Glad I won't be having to deal with this stuation...

MsPants likes this.
  16. MsPants

MsPants Guest

Yes, kick this addiction now so you won't ever do this to the love of your life one day.

17. Sometimes, I get sad I'm single. I get sad that I got nobody to fight for. But I realize myself is enough. I don't need someone to fight for. I fight for myself. You want to hear my main reason to quit? I'm sick of these EVIL witches taking advantage of me. I'M IN CHARGE OF MY OWN BODY! And nobody is gonna hold me back. Don't let your partner hold you back either! That's the worst thing you can do. I hope you are feeling better.

ILoathePwife and MsPants like this.
  18. AllanTheCowboy

Oooh... right in the feels and the regrets.

LizzyBlanca and MsPants like this.
  19. Dendrite

Dendrite Fapstronaut

First - I'm so sorry to hear this. What a lowlife! @AllanTheCowboy is right, the addiction does "speak for us" sometimes. But everyone's got limits and at some point an addict has to say "yes" to that evil inner voice. It can influence us, but we are still responsible for following that influence. Where are your SO's limits? Are they all gone? Because it sounds like they are and, if so, then there's nothing left of the person that you thought you knew. There's no free will left. There's just a slave, following that addictive voice wherever it leads!

I entirely agree with @noexcuses ... this does not sound like a person who is genuine about himself, or about you. I've done the lying thing too, but I have at least had the sense to feel disgusted about it and try hard to stop. If it's continuous use, throughout - you don't notice any periods of 2 or 3 days "clean" anywhere - then I do not think there was ever an intention to stop, sad as that is to have to say.

Adding to @i_wanna_get_better1 's questions: do you even know him? Is he still trustworthy in some respect? If not...

September and (deleted member) like this.
  20. MsPants

MsPants Guest

I have found more and more things that he's been doing over the recent months and Everytime I have told him what I found (even though he says he's rebooting "for real" now) he is still lying and protecting himself. After lying about somethings I found in his email (as if I'm that stupid to believe his confusion about how things got there this week, or it wasn't me in my own accounts) he deleted all of his email messages and his trash bin too. He is still protecting himself and that makes me feel like he still is not really trying to make an effort after this week. He said to me this week "no more lies" but hasn't stopped. Everything I found is just a bizarre coincidence apparently, or someone else has been using every one of his accounts, but definitely he didn't do any of it. He is so far gone.

WifeInTheDark likes this.