1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion and Rebooting

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Joseph92, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Joseph92

Joseph92 Fapstronaut

For those of you who are actively religious, how has it impacted your reboot?

I was raised as an evangelical Christian. However, the church I was raised in tended to lack moral structure, and even though I still believed, I stopped going as a teenager.

I have been considering going to a Catholic/Orthodox church for confession. It seems like it might be helpful to have a "father confessor" type figure. I've been to a Greek Orthodox divine liturgy several times, and found it engaging.

(BTW, I understand that absolution cannot be validly given to a non-Catholic/non-Orthodox person. I'm just talking about confessing sins, not absolution)

bearbones likes this.
  2. Denzel889

Denzel889 Fapstronaut

I'm Catholic and it helps me to quit pmo forever and of course I believe in God

3. bearbones

bearbones Fapstronaut

I think the whole act of going to confession is a cleansing & rejuvenating experience, whether there are otherworldly merits or not. you're essentially bringing your whole self before God, warts and all, and resting in the fact that nomatter what He still loves you. Furthermore, scripture exhorts us to confess our sins to one another. (James 5:16)

Another aspect of confessing or spilling our guts to another person can be found in the 12-steps (originally from alcoholics anonymous but can be applied to just about anything you're going through). Step five suggests that we admit the exact nature of our wrongs to God, ourselves, and another human being...
    Look up SA or SAA recovery for something a bit closer to home..

Hope some of this helps!

4. Faith helps. It really does. I'm not sure I could even do this without my faith and the support of my girlfriend. I actually told several of my cousins as well who also support me as we're very close and they're like a brother and sister to me. Confessing helps, but I don't think confessing to a stranger that doesn't hold you accountable is going to help much. It might, but I don't think it is a lasting accountability unless you plan on staying in contact with the person at your church about it. Telling a close friend or a family member who is willing to help you with your problem helps alleviate a lot of issues surrounding it. When we keep it to ourselves we tend to think "oh it's not that big of a deal, everyone does it" but in reality, we know this deep down to be untrue.

bearbones likes this.
  5. Well I'm Buddhist. I'm somewhat active, I could be more active tho. When I do meditate and practice awareness it definitely helps to stay away from urges. To resist them and catch them in time. When I get lazy and stop meditating that often and practicing awareness I feel that my reboot suffers.

I imagine it's the same with prayer or going to church. If you do it on consistent basis it keeps you on track. Kinda like you need to tighten the strings of piano on a regular basis to keep it sounding well - condition it. So daily reminder, like a prayer every night, would be the best type of practice. Keeps your attention on the purpose.

6. krashTest

krashTest Fapstronaut

I was raised Catholic but left the church in my teens and was agnostic for most of adult life. I returned to the faith about 5 years ago.

I was nervous about going to confession since I hadn't gone in a very long time. The mental, emotional and spiritual benefit was overwhelming. Standing up and walking out, it felt as if my feet weren't touching the ground and my entire chest just opened up, like I was learning to breathe for the first time.

Confession either restores sanctifying grace or it helps to augment it. But aside from the spiritual benefits of the sacrament,
    at the very least consider it to be low-cost therapy. As others have mentioned, every successful addiction recovery program involves telling another human being the nature of your wrongs.

But I found the self-examination of conscience to be most intriguing. Because when I rewind the film of my life, I begin to capture and understand the preceding causes that led to my falls. I found it to be a valuable tool to know yourself better.

I definitely feel my struggles with my reboot among other life decisions and challenges would having me spinning wheels without confession (granted, my counter may suggest otherwise.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016