1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Writers/Authors on Here?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Sunshadow, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Sunshadow

Sunshadow Distinguished Fapstronaut

No, actually. It's based on a board game called Heroscape.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Meshuga likes this.
  2. Sunshadow

Here's one of my few short stories that I have deemed fit for human consumption. This is unedited, for the most part.

Hope this works.

Attached Files:

vulture175 and ChapterOne like this.
  3. Hey, just stumbled upon your thread, tagging @Meshuga as he's an aspiring writer as well.

ChapterOne likes this.
  4. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Which is referential to Marvel, lol.

I'm formally trained in creative writing. I have one short story out, but you should read the first book in the series first to understand what's going on. That's a five dollar investment all told, but it's aliens and cat people and virtual reality chess with classic video game references, so I think it's worth it. Currently working on an introductory short for that series to give away for free, and developmentally editing the second book as well.
    I also have a short attached to Aaron Michael Ritchey's post apocalyptic dusterpunk "Juniper Wars" series, due out any day now. It can stand alone, but the first book "Dandelion Iron" is definitely worth a look. I'll post a link when it releases, as it will be free.

With all that self validation/advertising out of the way, I'll take a look at that thing you posted and give my honest opinion.

Headspace likes this.
  5. Sunshadow

Yes, that is very true. But I don't have that set, and Agent Carr isn't in that set, so I wasn't going to bring it up, lol.

I'll look into those. I'm always looking for new stuff to read.

And I'd really appreciate some honest criticism. Nobody I know is willing to say anything bad, grrr...

6. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

@agentcarr20 :
    i just read the short story after a looooong procrastination. It feels like dark, dreamy, illusory. The character wanders around the city. Is he looking for the escape out of the city? "There is no way out". A dirty, stinky, polluted city is full of trash and rubbish. Even the sidestepper can't help him out, but he still keeps search, "for the stars".
    My interpretation: the city is this life, real life, full of chaos and trash heap. It's just we don't want to see it ... until we do. We keep seeking the meaning of life, or just a way to change it, but we keep finding nothing. Everyday is a new chaos. Everyday is a new trash heap coming in. Sidestepper is the knowledge that we use to hope it would help us out. Although the sidestepper is a power tool, it is inaccurate. People "I" still stuck inside the city, they won't stop trying. Then they see the stars, a true knowledge comes from above. The knowledge from sidestepper is finite while the knowledge from the stars is infinite - the knowledge that helps us escape the physical materials (the city) and fly to the infinity.

man i don't fully understand. this is so incorporeal

Sunshadow likes this.
  7. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

I've been writing a lot since last year. At the moment I'm working on a book which is almost finished. It's a sort of essay which mixes philosophy and natural sciences, but the philosophical part is more important. I'm a physicist, but I guess at the moment I am becoming kind of an auto-didact philosopher. (I am reading a lot of philosophical nonfiction.)

I'm writing in German, though, so there isn't much of a point in sharing my stuff, unfortunately...

Don Gately and Meshuga like this.
  8. Sunshadow

Thanks for the feedback! Honestly, when writing it I didn't have nearly that much going on in my head, but that was something of the emotion that I wanted to convey. :)

Hahaha, yeah, I'm afraid I can't read German, so I wouldn't be able to give any feedback of any kind.

9. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

@agentcarr20 : yah you were using the stars to write this story while i was using the sidestepper to understand the story, but the sidestepper is limited :D

Sunshadow likes this.
  10. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

What kind of philosophy? I did a BA in philosophy, and you're lucky to be able to read German (Kant, Heidegger, Nietzsche, etc.). Heidegger was one of the most enlightening philosophers I encountered.

11. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

I would love to read the tractatus logico-philosophicus , but i kinda don't know where to start cuz the book is kinda complex to me .

"I can't connect with the stars. The stars are leaving me"

12. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Cool! Metaphysics, I'd say. In the past I actually was more interested in eastern philosophy. Western philosophy had never 'touched' me, you could say, but by now I think I just wasn't mature enough to understand what the philosophers actually wanted to express.

Of the philosophers you mentioned I've only read Ecce Homo by Nietzsche, but I guess this wasn't a good starting point. I might have a look at Menschliches, Allzumenschliches in the future (don't know the English title :p). I didn't plan reading Kant or Heidegger anytime soon. Regarding Kant, I have the feeling that his work is a little aged by now. Regarding Heidegger, I read mixed opinions, sometimes pointing at his tendency to get lost in his words. But may be he's just fine, I haven't read him yet! I actually was planning to read Hegel next. (In case it's too difficult for me, I could try again in a few years. But there are very obvious parallels with daoism in his work, so I might be able to relate quickly.) And Sartre, may be... I also sympathize with Wittgenstein @vulture175 and Karl Jaspers (who is from my hometown ;)). Well, lots of stuff to do...

13. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

Kant is a bit dated, for sure, but I think any of those you mentioned are worth reading. Heidegger does absolutely get lost in words. I would recommend maybe reading an introduction to Heidegger before reading his actual texts. But he has some insights that I found really enlightening. Good for you!

Headspace likes this.
  14. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Ok, I will remember that!

15. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

I promised this and then forgot! Here's the free thing that got published in September. Trigger free, I promise.
    The editor made me change the end, though.

Philosophy wise, I never got into anything past Descartes. The implications of the other guys terrify me.

vulture175 likes this.
  16. Sunshadow

@Meshuga - Just got around to looking at this. Yours is Magpies, correct?

Also, here's another short story I finished recently. Not quite as dark, and not quite as strange, but I like it.

Attached Files:

17. Sunshadow

I'm going to bump this, just for curiosity's sake. Any other writers out there? Any interest? interest... interest... interest...

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. G
    YES!!!!! I love writing. I was writing out sex stories and actually posted one online that is a touch over mediocre, LOL!

I decided to quit writing after deciding to stop this PMO lifestyle that’s been destroying me.

My mind has been so f’d up with sex obsession that it never occurred to me that I could write non-sex stories. (Sounds stupid but that’s the truth).

My therapist made the suggestion and at first I thought “Nah don’t think I could.”

But I tried and it’s been great. I started a werewolf story which has gone several pages. But my main project is a maritime story.

I’ve gotten far into my maritime story. It’s an 18th Century Royal Navy piece that includes finding a mystery island inhabited by extra large animals, chasing down pirates and slavers, and sea battles with the French.

I love it!!!!!

I would like to get the werewolf one done at some point. But been concentrating on the sea adventure right now.

Thanks for bringing this thread forward.

Deleted Account and Sunshadow like this.
  19. Sunshadow

That's awesome! I'd definitely recommend not writing any more sex stories, lol, but there is a whole world of fiction outside of erotica!

- Sunshadow

Deleted Account likes this.