1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Crying attacks

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by kittycaptain, Dec 29, 2016.

1. kittycaptain

kittycaptain Fapstronaut

The last few years, there's two things that seem to be constantly chasing me that I live in fear of: my MO habit, and these recurring attacks of panic and hysterical crying. The first often causes the second for me, but I have made great progress on my MO habit, feeling much more positive than I have for a long time. I kind of hoped that would lessen the crying problem, but it doesn't really seem to have worked out that way, as other things cause the crying too.

Basically, every time I make a mistake or have to receive criticism, I start to feel a huge buildup of negativity, self-loathing, and panic - it feels really overwhelming and out of my control, although my family says it makes THEM feel trapped and like I always want to be the victim, even though I was the one that started the problem. It always seems ridiculous at the time to me when they say that though, because a) at the time I am currently flagellating myself for what I MYSELF did wrong, so how could I be a victim, and b) I get this feeling of why can't anybody see I've gone into Crisis Mode here and am in serious need of some help that I no longer am able to provide for myself. I have been seeing a counselor and that's helped a lot, but often I feel really down and like I'll never be truly better and free of the crying attacks.

It was really hard this evening, because I had a spell of about a week where I tried to be positive, and somehow, it worked - I handled things as they came, and had almost no anxiety for nearly a week! But now today, two big spells of crying and panic, my family's exasperated again, right back where I started. Really disappointing. I told myself last July that I would work to have this situation in a manageable place by this coming July, that's my goal, but I really wonder if I will be able to do it, or if this whole stupid cycle will keep going the rest of my life.

Anyway, I've gotten some really good support on other things that feel overwhelming for me that I can't really confide to anyone else on here, so I thought I'd say something about this too, and see if anyone had any good thoughts - thanks for reading.

2. DyingToLiveLife

DyingToLiveLife Fapstronaut

It's probably some sort of defense mechanism you've developed over time in order to avoid a change in program.

kittycaptain likes this.
  3. kittycaptain

kittycaptain Fapstronaut

That's what I was kind of talking to my mom about tonight, actually, I think you're right in a way. It's a weird thing, because it makes others feel like I'm in control, but it also makes me feel out of control... kind of like when people say the bee is more scared of you than you are of the bee, or similar things.

4. Frühlingstimme

Frühlingstimme Fapstronaut

Kitty, I'm relieved to hear a similar story.

I posted some months ago how I've been constantly crying and being in NoFap made me so unbalanced that I would cry from the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep, crying. Here is the post https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/ill-not-cry-anymore.80635/

Guys here helped me telling that crying is normal, everyone does it sometimes. And even if you cry all day for days, that's normal, and there must be a reason for it. Don't think that you are weak, or that it is bad somehow. It's normal, lettting negative emotions flow.

In my case, I usually start crying when I feed some negative thought, so you might want to control what you are thinking. Put away the shame for crying, we have to accept us as we are.

kittycaptain likes this.
  5. dandyman

dandyman Fapstronaut

Hi Kitty, hope you're doing well. Its great that you're talking openly with your mum about it and are seeking counselling. I too had crying episodes for a number of years and I found in the long run that they're serving a great purpose since it forces you to look at yourself more deeply and make positive changes. Ive found meditation really helpful, listening to people like Eckhart Tolle and going on retreats to feel the inner pain that the mind is reacting to. Also intimate relationships helped, having someone ask how i felt enabled the letting go of whatever the feelings where that were causing the upset. I hope that's in someway helpful and don't worry i think its alot more common than you think.