1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

best foods for muscle building

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by change_my_life, Feb 15, 2017.

1. change_my_life

change_my_life Fapstronaut

Whats the best food for muscle building?
    I herd its a ratio of carbs and protien

So chicken breast and rice?
    What else?
    Also i heard to eat 6 meals a day of this?

2. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

Anything with protein eggs, beef, chicken, salmon, fish, seeds, nuts (ideally unsalted), milk
    Rice rather brown one or quinoa is probably the best.
    6 meals a day is a fitness myth debunked here http://www.simplyshredded.com/learn-the-facts.html

MJ93 and I Free I like this.
  3. Fulton

Fulton Guest

Carbs are not needed for muscle building. Protein is what is needed for muscle building; meat, fish, etc.

Carbs are used as an energy source and that's it. If you switch your energy source to ketones (fat) then dietary carbohydrates is basically unnecessary.

4. change_my_life

change_my_life Fapstronaut

I feel weak in the gym when i dnt eat carbs tho

5. Fulton

Fulton Guest

My guess is you have a diet which is already high in carbohydrate, so your body and cells have built a preference for carbs as your source of fuel. This is why when you don't have them you feel weak and hungry.

Again carbs are only for energy purposes and only if you are trying to run on glucose as your energy source. If you are running your energy off of ketone bodies (fat) then there is no need for dietary carbohydrates, especially if you already have a high body fat percentage. If you have a low body fat percentage and are running on ketone bodies then you would want to increase your dietary fat intake by way of mct oil, coconut oil, olive oil, fattier cuts of meat, avocados, or ghee. If you are running on ketones you will also want to make sure your electrolytes are up, since a ketogenic diet will act as a natural diuretic, so you will need to watch your sodium, potassium, and magnesium intake.

6. Fulton

Fulton Guest

If you're talking about adrenal fatigue that is a hypothesis and I have not seen any evidence that supports it or that ketosis would cause any problems.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4997656/

This is more often than not caused be low electrolytes. These symptoms are also known as keto flu, but really if you keep your sodium between 5-7 grams, spread throughout the day, then you will not experience these issues. Most people who start an ketogenic diet always fail to check their sodium intake and so they end up feeling like crap: headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, light headed, etc. If you keep your electrolytes up, then you will not experience these symptoms.

You can have deli meats, pepperoni, hard boiled eggs, ground beef, tuna, ect. I haven't experienced any issues with food being tasteless. I dont' know how you were able to keep your calories low if you were eating nuts. Most people who consume nuts never track how much they're eating and overshoot their caloric intake since nuts a calorically dense.

Huger does decrease on a ketogenic diet due to satiety from the fats and protein.

If you were having 3 cans of tuna a day, then you were most likely having issues with mercury.

I used to have gallbladder pain when my diet was high in carbs and fats, but I've not had any gallbladder pain since reducing carbohydrates from my diet.

In what way does milk help?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
  7. Fulton

Fulton Guest

I've never heard of anyone using milk as a significant source of protein.

8. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

You didnt hear much then.
    Almost everybody I know adds milk to protein shakes because it tastes better and on top of that has lot of proteins.
    In one liter of milk you have about 32 grams of protein. Just for comparison in an egg you have about 6g of proteins and chicken breasts(150g) about 30g of proteins.