1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

anapanasati meditation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by stygian, Feb 27, 2017.

1. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

This is the thread for anyone who is doing anapana meditation. Can post what stage you are on, how long you do it or have been doing it, any other thoughts related to this.

I have been meditating for a year. I aim to do it every day and my recent daily practice is more than 2 weeks.

I Free I likes this.
  2. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

What is it exactly?

3. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

It is a meditation focused on awareness of the breaths. One observes the breaths, but does not try to control it. This form of meditation is in contrast to guided meditations, because the point of anapanasati is not to have anything on the mind, except awareness of the breaths, and especially no visualization. But with awareness of the breaths, it leads to deeper awareness of the body, and then to deeper and deeper truths. This meditation was taught by the Buddha more than 2500 years ago and there is a direct line of teachers from the Buddha to people today who teach the method (and from whom I learned). It is very easy to learn, but there are 16 stages of it. One you are able to complete one stage you can move to the next. I am on the first stage.

To do it, you just sit upright (it's better to do so on a soft surface, cross-legged, or in lotus position, but it can be done in a chair), and notice the breaths going in and out. You can focus on the feeling of the breath touching the nostrils and it goes in and out. If you get distracted by other thoughts, you simply bring the attention back to the breaths. It can be done lying down but it is not advised because it is about maintaining awareness and one can fall asleep or get distracted more easily lying down.

I Free I likes this.
  4. señor

señor Guest

I do this every morning, stillness is an awesome way to start the day. I like to imagine my breaths as an ocean wave coming in and out

how long are your sessions stygian? I usually can't go longer than 7-8 minutes before I lose focus

I Free I likes this.
  5. I Free I

I Free I Guest

I want to try this meditation ... But I want to be able to get to that point of stillness first .

Right now I'm just doing guided meditations like mindfulness or chakra .

The Trooper likes this.
  6. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

Losing focus is not a problem. Just bring your attention back to the breaths when it happens. I have done it for 15 minutes-1 hour in the past, sometimes 2 hours/day. Right now I am doing 5 minutes/day. I plan on increasing it because there are health benefits associated with meditation, as well as improved concentration, clarity of mind, etc. But I am working on other things at the same time, so taking it one step at a time. I find I get benefit from even 5 minutes/day, as you do.