1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice Cold Showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Mar 12, 2017.

1. I've been taking cold showers for two weeks, but just traveled north where the water seems to be as close to freezing without actually being freezing. Is there any danger in taking showers this cold? Where I'm from the water is probably 50 degrees farenheit, here's it's for sure in the upper 30's. I'm tempted to boost the temperature up to what I'm used to, but if it's not harmful, I'll give the ice showers a try.

Shang-Chi likes this.
  2. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Fapstronaut

Give it a go! If you catch a cold, STOP.

3. Capt.

Capt. Fapstronaut

You can try gradually easing into the lower temperature using two approaches:

1. Start with a temperature that you are used to and lower it slightly everyday. You shouldn't notice much of a difference but by the end of the trip you'll have gotten accustomed to a much colder shower!

2. Keep the majority of your shower at a sustainable temperature and then for the last few minutes try lowering the temperature a lot. After a few days you'll be able to tolerate the colder temperatures.

In terms of any potential danger of cold showers, I'm not aware of any. You might get a 'brainfreeze' a little more quickly but thats about it. Obviously there the danger of catching a cold but as long as you're taking proper precautions (washing your hands before eating, dressing warmly etc.) you should be fine. I'm taking cold showers in Canada even though its -17 Celsius outside and I haven't fallen ill yet!

4. Its very unlikely that taking an ice cold shower can 'hurt' you it hurts like hell but how long does a cold shower last? I am lucky if i can stand two minutes- let's say you can last five.. that's not enough time to get frostbite, hypothermia or anything else.. just make sure you don't say cold too long.

Think about it, athletes immerse entire body parts in icebaths up to 20 minutes...

5. ptrjovskis

ptrjovskis Fapstronaut

Me myself live in the north, I take cold showers every day, always on the freezing side. When i started with cold showers I begun a little bit warmer though, to get used to it, otherwise you risk fainting (If you have been exercising before). But when your body gets used to the cold showers you can go all the way. Today I can go out for a 20 km run and then easily take a freezing shower, it hurts but it works. The body adapts.

So, begin a little bit wormer and slowly make your way down, but be careful after exercise ;)