1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

People who speak 2 languages

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Waldo101, Mar 15, 2017.

1. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

I thank you for your offer. I have managed to learn and continue learning Spanish and have found it very useful. Now, I do not think that I am ready to take on another language, but I would be glad to help you with English (not "for" English, unless you give me English in exchange for my help).

This site might help you: http://www.usalearns.org/
    They also have apps.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Okan

Okan Guest

3. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

If you were raised bilingual, consider yourself lucky. You will never have the chance again of learning a language without effort. I speak german and english but I was only raised speaking german. English is actually one of the easiest languages you can learn today because english is pretty much everywhere even if you're not in a english speaking country. most people understand english to an extent. Commercials, movies (many countries don't even synchronize their movies so they have to listen to the original), school etc. I learned english mostly from school and playing video games (at least one thing they were good for) and I can say with a certainty, that life would be much more difficult without understanding english even when living in germany. Most of the information you find on the internet is in english. Google something in german and you get much fewer and worse results than searching for something in english. It's the same with NoFap. If I hadn't been able to understand english I would never have found out about it.

I've read that people who speak two languages have a later onset of dementia. Makes a lot of sense, since your brain gets constantly exercised when switching between two languages. So learning a new language doesn't just help you to communicate with more people, but your mind will also stay healthier and fitter.

If you don't know what to do with your time just start learning a language. You'll put your time to good use. If you're a native english speaker, I'd suggest starting with spanish.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. Jaime123

Jaime123 Fapstronaut

I'm learning spanish. I have to- I live in Spain now!! It's not easy learning a second language but I'm progressing. I know a few people who speak multiple languages and I think after learning the second language you get better at the skill of learning languages and start to pick them up more quickly.

I find Memrise is pretty good for vocabulary. Duolingo will get you started but I found that after using it I was unable to assemble my own sentences. Having a language tutor definitely helps.

HappyDaysAreHereAgain likes this.
  5. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I can speak a little spanish but mainly english.

6. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

I can speak 3 languages -
    -English
    -Hindi
    -Bhojpuri(it is a bit similar to hindi).
    And I can understand Sanskrit, but can't speak it. Well I have been learning Sanskrit for 5 years! but still can not speak, I can barely understand it. It is so difficult. I left it forever, last month.

7. Detraks

Detraks Fapstronaut

I speak french (my native) and I tough myself english when I was 13.

8. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

Police in Swedish=Polis
    Ambulance in Swedish=Ambulans

9. Audere est Facere

Audere est Facere Fapstronaut

I have been fluent in all of them at one point. two of them I'm native bilingual. two of them I've learned later in life, so I fluctuate being more fluent or less fluent based on how often I speak them.

HappyDaysAreHereAgain likes this.
  10. i speak portuguese and english
    i grew up bilingual
    my portuguese is a little crummy ~

11. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

I speak/write English and Danish fluently.
    I forgot how to speak/write French as I didn't use it after middle school, but I still understand a little if they speak slowly.
    I understand, but don't speak/write: Swedish and Norwegian (but I can read both and understand just fine) and a little bit of German if they speak slowly.

HappyDaysAreHereAgain and Quiver like this.