1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The 13 Reasons Why Thread [Netflix Show]

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lazarus Shuttlesworth, May 16, 2017.

1. So I finished the first season last week and man oh man was it an emotional roller coaster. It's messed up, it made me feel horrible. But I love it. I feel weird recommending it to people. "Hey, this show is amazing but it will fill you with despair and you'll probably feel like shit for a while."

But honestly I like these types of shows the best. It makes me feel something real. I appreciate the way they attacked issues that most television glosses over or "makes pretty".
    The hot tub scene was soul crushing and the suicide scene was completely honest. Most dramatized suicides are told in shadow or simplified so that the dying person doesn't display the physical pain. This scene was gruesome.

I think they could've done a better job with the way it ended but oh well. Season Two will be lit. What were y'all thoughts on the first season?

And just a heads up, there are scenes with triggers. Also they do tackle serious topics by showing some dark stuff. So if you think you won't be able to handle that then you shouldn't watch it.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Deleted Account likes this.
  2. ethan.s

ethan.s Fapstronaut

I very much enjoyed watching it, and I agree with you on the point that it makes us feel something real. A criticism I do have though is the cliche nature of the characters. The issues presented are very real, and are very much present in society today, I'm not trying to downplay bullying or suicide at all. But since it is a tv show, I feel like every single character is an archetype I've seen before.

But that's just a little thing. Overall really enjoyed it. Also, just nearing the end of my freshman year in college, I think they did a pretty good job of accurately portraying how teenagers act these days, like actually act. There wasn't really any cringey things where they tried too hard to make them modern or anything like that.

And is there going to be a second season? I heard that the ending in the show is exactly how the book ended and there aren't any plans for a sequel to the book.

3. Yup, there will be a season two. This is what Netflix tweeted about the confusion.

4. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

I don't know much about it. I think it's primarily and American trending thing.
    But from what I hear some psychologists are worried it may be glorifying suicide and misleading young minds (inadvertently).

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  5. meanbean70

meanbean70 Fapstronaut

I think it eas a very well written show and you are right it showed these issues honestly which i can appreciate. It made people who dont understand the issues understand them. As to whether or not it glorifies suicide, i think its up to the interpretation of te viewer. I dont think that was their intention, but i can see why some people would think that.

6. In New Zealand Netflix were made to put health warnings at the beginning of the programme.

7. I was going to start a thread on this series but then I thought against it since I know some members here struggle with suicidal thoughts. I haven't seen it myself and don't think I'll see it, but I know some people are saying the message of it is that suicide is the only answer... Which of course is not true!

8. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

Haven't read posts in case of spoilers and hadn't had the time to see e1 s1 yet.

Is it good?

9. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

My problem with it...
    (read the book and seen the show)
    Alot of people focusing on the suicide...
    Almost NOBODY is talking about the casual sexual abuse, the misogynist every day happenings when you mix the digital world with hormones, what is actual healthy relationships (domestic, friendship and romantic), bad parenting, & why in both, either? Are her depression symptoms misplaced. (this, as art- genius - - should be a conversation point : it's not)
    I've also heard that people who read the book are confused by the show.
    The book had two releases.
    With two endings.
    Hence, season two.

10. meanbean70

meanbean70 Fapstronaut

That most certainly is not the message of the show, but i can see why some people would take it that way. Its about a girl who was put in a situatiom where suicide and getting help were her options and she chose suicide. The thimg i dont like about it is that they put all the blame on the family and her friends for her suicide say they werent there fpr her, but in the end it was her decision, not theirs.

Kenzi likes this.
  11. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Some people can't deal.
    But here's the bigger problem.
    Alot of people want help and nobody wants to give it to them.
    Like the fact that Trumpcare is trying to pass over Obamacare- one says women have health coverage, the other says sexual assault is a preexisting condition.
    In other words - , rape =ok.
    Also, not everyone knows how to find what they need for help. And even if they find what they Think is help, it's not always helpful.
    Im not saying I agree, I'm just saying with things like this, look at all sides.
    If it wasn't that way, depression wouldn't be so complicated. Neither would casual sexual assault.

12. I've started it, but if there's already going to be a season two, then I'm assuming the main characters role in this shit storm hasn't been revealed in season one?

Kenzi likes this.
  13. meanbean70

meanbean70 Fapstronaut

It has

14. meanbean70

meanbean70 Fapstronaut

Absolutely agree. Well said.

Kenzi likes this.
  15. Just finished season two. Watched season one, and have read the book a couple times before the show existed and loved it.

Honestly, I personally don't understand how anyone could come away from this story, whether it be the show season one, season two, or the book, with the idea that it glorifies suicide. I didn't get that vibe at all, and I can't really see how anyone could unless they're trying really hard to ignore a lot of the story.

The story shows how terrible of a decision it was for Hannah to kill herself. It makes you sad. It makes your heart ache. When we see snippets of her and Clay developing feelings for each other, we long for them to be together and then we feel empty, knowing that will never be possible, because of what she chose to do. I think this story does the complete opposite of glorifying suidice.

I will say, I do somewhat agree, at least when I had only read the book and the show wasn't out yet, that it does sometimes feel like she's blaming everyone else for her problems, and I don't really like statements like when Clay asks Tony
    "did I kill Hannah Baker" and Tony says yes.
    I didn't like that. Hannah killed herself, nobody else did that. It's good to be more conscious of how we effect other people, but we can't take that so far as to feel so much guilt over someone else's decision.

I do think, however, that the second season of the show, and even the first season as well, did a better job than I remember the book doing of highlighting the fact that Hannah's decision was wrong and that it was HER decision, not anyone else's. I like that season two, especially, highlights Clay's anger and that he struggles to be able to forgive Hannah for her choice. I think that's a healthy reaction to have, and I'm glad they didn't make it seem like he just feels guilty and like she was simply a victim and had no other choice.

So anyway, for anyone who hasn't watched the show because they've heard that it glorifies suicide or that it makes it seem like suicide is the only option, I would encourage you to watch or read it for yourself, because I don't think that's true at all. I think a lot of people saying those things are probably people who haven't even bother to watch it, but they think they know everything that's going to happen.