1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

feeling embarrassing for going to college and study with people half as old

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by New Challenger, May 19, 2017.

1. New Challenger

New Challenger Fapstronaut

I am in my mid 30 now. been back to college to study since last year. most people in my class are somewhere between 17 to 22 something while I am already in my mid 30. its not comfortable at all because it feels like I am back to high school studying with teenage kids who are young enough to be my children. anyone in the same boat as I do? any suggestion? thanks!

2. Happy Man

Happy Man Fapstronaut

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not something you can control. Just focus on your studies. Over time you will learn to accept it.

3. I was in college for a while before I dropped out. I was the usual age and there were a few older people. I never gave it a second thought.

Star Lord and New Challenger like this.
  4. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Like everyone else says.
    Don't worry over it.
    Education doesn't care about age.
    Education only cares about sharing knowledge.

5. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

I remember older people in my classes. Their age didn't mean anything to me. Of course, i was in hard science classes where people were judged according to their ability to answer questions correctly. If you're a liberal arts major, where people are judge according to how creative, or progressive, or modern they are, it could be difficult.

6. LivinginRecovery

LivinginRecovery Fapstronaut

I went back to college in my mid 30's and it was an enjoyable time in my life. There were some older people such as myself but the vast majority were late teens - early 20's. I had a great time. The young people were really switched on and we had some great in-depth conversations. I would say just to go with it and enjoy it.

New Challenger likes this.
  7. Oscarito

Oscarito Fapstronaut

I'm back in school and I'm in my early 40's. I know what you're talking about. But it's really not that big a deal. I'm pretty affable and my classmates chat me up. So I don't feel like I'm being excluded from any class activities.
    I definitely would not try to act their age though. That would make me look insecure. Like I'm trying too hard.

Good Luck!

8. Pepper M.

Pepper M. Fapstronaut

There were a few older classmates in my science courses when I was in college and honestly everyone was too busy working/studying to worry about others and how they were fitting in. Self-absorbed? Maybe. But school is for learning as much as you can, so stay focused on you! I really don't think others are thinking about your age as much as you are. Best of luck.

9. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

There are a lot worse things to be embarrassed about.

But don't let them get higher grades than you!!

10. ontarius

ontarius Fapstronaut

Did the same thing, had the same doubts at the beginning. I am in my third college year now. I planned not to mingle to much among fellow students, and just focus on classes. I was doing it for my interest in science and not to make new aquintances anyway. Still i felt uncomfortable at the beginning.But in reality nobody really cared about my age. You have a common interest and that is much more important than age gap.Actually I get along quite well with my younger fellows, doing homeworks and studying for exams together. My suggestion from my experience a) concentrate on classes, its what you are in for, you dont need anyones approval. b) be open minded to your young fellaws, dont view them as "teenage kids" as you wrote, when they are actually young adults. No one wants not to be taken seriously because of his age, not you and not them. For me going back to college has been one of the best decisions i ever made.
    All the best wishes for you!

11. Fork2323

Fork2323 Fapstronaut

Bro, look see, no one cares about your age.. now get some of that ripe young college girl! Thats all i'd be thinking about.. "will you be my study buddy?" Come to papa..every older guy wants them young and ripe. And young colledge girls dig older men who are experianced that can treat them like a lady and want to play grown up and not be with young guys.. most would feel honored that you hit on them and felt that you thought they are good enough to be with you and it would boost their ego to land you.. so get in there, help make these girls feel better about themselves and show them how a man does it.
    I know this responce will get some hate.. but this is NoFap.. not lets be saints.. its still NoFap and if you get some bonus prizes tossed your way at mid 30s enjoy it.. might never get a chance like this again.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. BasicVoltaire

BasicVoltaire Fapstronaut

Don't worry about it man, you might feel like there's an issue but really, it's good that you're deciding to further your education, many don't.

Think of it this way, you're wiser and smarter than your classmates as well so you might be able to teach them a thing or two. You might also find the work easier due to your age ;) .

13. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

My wife's grandmother went back to college when she retired. When she found out that her earnings would cut back on her S.S. payments, she enrolled in college. She graduated as a proud 72 year-old great-grandmother. She felt odd with professors the age of her grandchildren, but she enjoyed learning. After she turned 72, she considered grad school, but went back into sales.
    You have some wisdom to offer your fellow students, and there are things that you can learn from them. Enjoy the interchanges. They won't expect you to be 18, even if a part of you still thinks you are.

New Challenger and gre3nrain like this.