1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone also give up alcohol ??

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Islanders190, May 27, 2017.

1. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

anyone gave up alcohol if so why and how did you??

2. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

Yes, I gave up alcohol around 3 months ago. But I was never addicted to it, so it was not hard to do, I would drink very infrequently before. I gave it up for health reasons. If you are addicted then you have to be careful because it can be life-threatening.

ivanhoe, WalkingForward and Bel like this.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter Fapstronaut

I stopped drinking 6 years ago. I knew I was going to give it up at some point, as part of my spiritual journey. Nothing to do with addiction, etc. I decided I will never drink again, and that was that.

Like @stygian said, be careful if you have alcohol issues.

4. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

Why

I used to get drunk occasionally. I had low tolerance, got drunk easily and sometimes made a complete ass of myself. I'm normally quite socially anxious and many hangovers filled me with enormous self-hatred.

The last drop for me came in 2014 after I tried to grind with a girl at a club without any consent from her, she gave me a "what the hell?"-look and some sense kicked into me, so I backed off. I don't want to behave like a goddamn chimpanzee! I then decided to never get drunk again.

Since then, I've been diagnosed with candida overgrowth and alcohol makes it worse. I don't think I'll ever drink alcohol again, it isn't worth it for me. Alcohol is also very expensive here in Sweden, especially at bars and clubs, going out can ruin you financially.

Some say alcohol in small doses are good for your heart, but the evidence for that is weak. And if you really care about your heart health, there are better ways of taking care of your heart, such as for example vegetables, exercise and meditation. Those are great methods that don't have the harmful and addictive qualities of alcohol. There are also studies linking alcohol use to increased cancer risk, even in moderate amounts.

How

It hasn't been that difficult for me to quit alcohol. But at the first party I went to sober, after giving up drinking, I got surprised about how strong urges I got for joining in the drinking. I didn't expect those kinds of urges since I never saw myself as addicted.

But the most difficult aspect for me has been the peer-pressure-aspect. Here is good advice about that:

I used alcohol as a social crutch. I never managed to pick up girls when drinking though. I need to work on overcoming social anxiety, but that will be best done sober. Alcohol only dampens social anxiety temporarily, but then gives you more of it in the long run.

5. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

yeah I am addicted. even though I now drink once a week I still do stupid shit when I drink where I could get into legal trouble.congrats bro. how has this impacted your life ??

connor213 likes this.
  6. i give it certain times of the year, and have been moderating.. I found drinking plenty of water with it helps. Not to say I don't screw up now and then....

7. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

wow 6 years are you in your twenties or 30s ?? I find that drinking also ruins my spiritual journey. it's like I take 2 steps forward in life then 3 steps backwards because of drinking and fapping

8. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

that's for your reply man I appreciate it hope your doing good. I hear you on the alcohol making you do dumb shit. when I drink I message girls things very innaporite where I could get into trouble. I sometimes get black out drunk and forget where I am. i did have 38 and 39 days of no alcohol back in 2016. and my life was so much better. I saved money from going to bars. and I realized all the people I went to bars with were just drinking buddies. all they want to do is drink there not really quality friends who make my life better. most importantly though I started living life and doing other things I always wanted to try out. alcohols grip wasn't so tight on me. eventually I did go back, forgetting how alcohol made my life miserable. I did go to Aa meetings they helped.
    thanks for the video I'ma watch it now

WalkingForward likes this.
  9. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

I'm going to do a 30 day no alcohol challenge I've done it a few times before.

10. Bob2132

Bob2132 Fapstronaut

I gave up alohol years ago. I was never an alcoholic but I did not like the effect it had on me.

keeoolf and WalkingForward like this.
  11. MadHatter

MadHatter Fapstronaut

I quit drinking in my late 20's. I am now 34.

NIIED and LivinginRecovery like this.
  12. lostandfound

lostandfound Fapstronaut

Used to drink all the time. Realized that all my friendships revolved around getting drunk together and werent really substantial enough to go beyond that. Same thing with pot and drugs. Now if I drink too much it just makes me feel depressed. Pot makes me anxious. Drugs make me violent. I get high as shit off life and adrenaline now and couldnt feel better. The best highs you can get are the ones you make yourself

13. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

I'm 26 so it's around your age when you stopped

14. Bob2132

Bob2132 Fapstronaut

THis guy in the video seems really goofy

15. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

There is no fucking way I'm giving up alcohol!

16. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

yea bro I feel your post. all my friends are drinking buddies all we do together is drink at the bar. we have no relationship outside of the bar. no real friendship. I guess sometimes you just gotta move on from people in your life who don't serve you anymore

17. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

I don't think it changed my life too much except that I have the feeling that I am completely in control of my life. I can do anything I want, and alcohol and fapping and anything else cannot touch me. I am getting repeat blood tests in a month or two. If they are normal, then I might have some alcohol when I want to. But I am finding that the desire to do it is just diminishing. But I feel good that it has been at least 3 months and I have not had any urges, in fact I have a lot of alcohol in my place from when I used to drink that I haven't touched. So I think this is some evidence that I was not addicted. But I believe that anyone who drinks has to be aware of the possibility of getting addicted in the future.

18. Djb575

Djb575 Fapstronaut

So glad to read this thread. I haven't drank since October 6 of last year. I never thought i had a problem but as I looked at my behaviors and family history where alcoholism exists i decided at 40 years old was time to end it . And it has been a part of my spiritual journey as well. I just think so much clearer and have lost about 15 pounds. Best of luck everyone.

WalkingForward and ivanhoe like this.
  19. BigandBeastly

BigandBeastly Fapstronaut

Hello sir, I quit drinking about 8 months ago because it really made me just feel comfortable about where i was in life. I was living on my own with no friends, and a decent job. I would come home, drink, fap, and play xbox. Thats it, and i repeated this for pretty much 2 years of my life. After taking a small break i eventually came to my senses and realized that alcohol is like a false sense of security. It makes you ok with being in a shitty situation. And when you think about it like that, quitting it really isnt that hard. You see alot of homeless people that drink alot, Why? Because the alcohol makes them ok with it. I just got tired of living a lie, putting down the bottle is the best thing you can do if you want to step up and face reality.

20. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

ALCHOL is hard to give up if your addicted to it then it's tricky. But I hear you. ALCHOL makes you comfortable with where your at in life. It makes you forget all the stupid things you done to yourself and to others. It make you have short term memory. It acts like it's your friend but in fact it's a judas in disguise.