1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaving methods and techniques

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by overclocked, Jun 1, 2017.

1. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

Lately I have trouble with razor burns and skin bumps especially on the neck. It's very annoying and ugly and it can last for days.

I would wash my face and neck with warm water, then shave with an old electric shaver. When I'm done I would spray my face with pure alcohol.

But my method isn't cutting it anymore. Have you been in the same situation? If yes, what did you change? Any advanced methods? Thanks.

Ted123 likes this.
  2. Time to get a real razor. Start with a 3 bladed, high quality, disposable razor. It will last around two weeks of daily use, and they're cheap.

If that messes with your face, use a 2 bladed razor. The same rules and standards apply here the same as they did on the 3 bladed razor.

1 bladed razors are for the very sensitive, but I've never used one.

You could also simply have a dull blade on your electric razor. You could try sharpening it or buying a new one.

Tips, put a towel as hot as you can take without pain and let it sit on your face for 30 seconds-1 minute. Use a shave cream or a soap of some sort, I prefer soap. Use long strokes when shaving, avoid the urge to "hack" at your facial hair. And don't press down too hard.

overclocked likes this.
  3. SyrusDrake

SyrusDrake Fapstronaut

I used to use an electric razor for years and it was hell. I hated shaving. When it was the slightest bit warm and/or humid, it wouldn't glide properly, I'd get razor burn all the time and unless my facial hair was fairly long, the shave would be faaar from clean. It was just an unpleasant experience from start to finish.

Then I discovered a traditional wet shaving guide on imgur and, last fall, decided to give it a try. One of the best decisions of my life. What I'm talking about is traditional shaving with shaving cream or soap, brush and a double-edged safety razor. It's so much nicer than using an electric razor. The soap means you always glide nicely and you get a really close and smooth shave.
    Yea, it requires practice, I'm still figuring some things out months later, and yea, even if you got some routine, it obviously takes longer than shaving with an electric razor. But that's one of the advantages, I found. Instead of just mindlessly dragging a cheese grater across your face, shaving becomes this little almost meditative ritual. And spending some time on your personal appearance like that improves your feeling of self-worth as well.
    When you want to go against the grain to get a SUPER smooth finish, you'll still get a little razor burn. But whereas my neck would be red sometimes for an entire day before, now any irritation vanishes after washing and applying after shave gel.

I never tried cartridge razors, so I can't really compare them. But I'd recommend you go right for the "real" razors. There's functionally very little difference and with safety razors, you're not tied to one particular brand but can use whatever blades you want.
    Getting a good set is a considerable initial investment. Yea, there are cheap razors and brushes but I'd really recommend against it. Get a good one once and there's a fair chance it'll last you for decades. And remember that you'll be dragging that brush across your face quite a lot. I only ever used a badger brush but I can't imagine cheap plastic brushes feeling all that pleasant. Once you made that investment, the only thing you'll have to buy regularly are the blades and they're considerably less expensive than cartridges.

As for the "software", creams or soaps, I don't know at all how good cheap "super market" products are. I'd still recommend investing at least a little bit of money into a nice soap or cream and after shave. It just makes the experience more enjoyable if the foam on your face also happens to smell nice. I'm currently using St James of London Cedarwood and Clarysage shaving cream and after shave gel (alcohol free). I'd recommend you make at least the initial purchase of those products in person instead of online so you can sample various smells and find one you like.

Do some reading on the topic and/or watch some videos. Or just go ahead and try it yourself. I promise you won't regret it! I certainly never did.

overclocked and A41:14A like this.
  4. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

Look up methods for PFB (Pseudofolliculitis barbae). I have people whom I work with that deal with it.

5. I Free I

I Free I Guest

It's good to exfoliate before a shave .

I do it all the time before I shave . Exfoliate 2-3 times a week .

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  6. That gillette pro glide razor is the truth.

7. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

Thanks guys. I think I want to leave the electric shaver alone for some time. I have shaving cream and a razor with multiple blades. I will try that for a while.

Actually looking forward to spend some time on my appearance @SyrusDrake . I will look into these finer methods. When I gained a bit of practice of wet shaving I will consider getting the better stuff, single blade razor etc.

Interesting @I Free I , I didn't know about exfoliation, will look into it :)

I Free I and sparkywantsnoPMO like this.
  8. Blackenglish2017

Blackenglish2017 Fapstronaut

Are you black because Afro hair curls back into the skin which causes a burning sensation. Best thing to do is get a electronic shaver and cut a 0.5

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  9. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

No, I'm white.

10. AkselVerg

AkselVerg New Fapstronaut

I agree with overclocked, I had a similar problem, but the electric shaver can not cut you anyway. I used to have a small beard for a long time and trimmed it every week, but then got sick and I decided to shave it off. After that, the problems started, the hair is very hard and I was constantly cutting with an ordinary classic razor, and I could not shave everything smoothly. Considering that at the moment there are at least three major "big" competitors on the electric shaver market (This is Panasonic Brown and Phillips, as you can see at any top 5 of electric shavers) Due to their constant rivalry there are a huge number of models. At the same time, these models have absolutely different prices and you can easily find an inexpensive but high-quality electric shaver.

11. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

There are many different paths to take when shaving. I'll throw my two cents in.

First, "old fashioned" double edge (DE) razors are light years ahead of every disposable razor that has come out in the last thirty years. Don't believe everything the commercials tell you. Just because a razor has 18 blades, 10 gel pads and a 270 degree swivel rotation, it does not mean you will get a better shave. You can pick up a new DE razor for as much as a pack of disposables. You can also get vintage DE razors, if you like. The blades are cheap, and tend to last longer than disposable razors. In my opinion, a DE razor is the way to go for most people.

There are other vintage options, which I think are also better than the current crop of disposables. Vintage Schick-type injector razors for one. My favorite is the Gem single edge. My Gem 1912 is in my opinion the greatest shaving implement ever made.

Finally, there are straight razors. They take some getting used to, but once you do, the shave is phenomenal. Take in mind that you have take care of the razor (stropping, honing, etc..), but once you are set up, you never have to buy another razor ever again.

To cut down on the razor burn, I recommend two things. One: Clean your face with cold water once you've finished with the razor. This will help reduce the redness, and if you cut yourself stop the bleeding. Two: Get an alum block and use it on your face just after shaving.

overclocked likes this.
  12. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

Thanks! I didn't know about alum blocks, I will try it. Right now I use a common multi blade razor and standard shaving cream. My skin got used to the method and looks better now! But before I switch over to single blade razors, I want to upgrade my shaving cream first. It's itchy and kinda weak, provides very little gliding effect and is too voluminous, it gets into my head hair which is annoying. Any tips?

13. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I've tried many. There are hundreds of choices. The two I like best are old standby's: Williams Shaving Soap and Proraso Green. Both are relatively cheap.