1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

what is your nofap mantra for when urges strike you ?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Islanders190, Jun 2, 2017.

1. The_Monk

The_Monk Guest

"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own" - Bruce lee. This is what i keep in my mind. Reject the useless PMO. Adapt working out. And adding confidence to life :)

wake_up and LivinginRecovery like this.
  2. I do not use a mantra, I don't think arguing with your brain is very effective, because it is just too good at arguing. When the urge comes up I just simply try to really feel the feeling, go deeper on it, not reject it, nor fight it, nor surrender to it. Just accept that is there. Then appreciate it and redirect the energy to sports, reading, nofap forums, goals,... whatever you want to achieve.

The key is no to run away but embrace it and accept it. Then it will pass without effort. Keep it up brother!
    Thomas

3. LivinginRecovery

LivinginRecovery Fapstronaut

I wholeheartedly concur with this plus it works.

ThomasV likes this.
  4. skydragonroar

skydragonroar Fapstronaut

"You have wasted enough of your life."

5. Beopus

Beopus Fapstronaut

Deep breaths. At least 20 of them, and then being mindful of my breathing. Helps me to clear my thoughts and reason myself out of the urge

wake_up likes this.
  6. pavloo91

pavloo91 Fapstronaut

I have to say that I like the feeling of being sexually aroused. It doesn't happen to me frequently (yet), so I cherish it, feel it and try to accept it as it is. And when a thought appears that maybe I should masturbate because of this, I just say "nah, it's just my addiction brain talking, it's not me" and "how will it benefit me in the long run?".

EDIT: This is something different than an urge. I would do the above when I get naturally aroused first and then the thought to masturbate appears, induced by that arousal.

When I have an urge - I am not naturally aroused, I just want to PMO - it's more difficult, but I still say the same things as above. And I recognise that no matter how strong the urge is (and I've experienced some very strong ones like most of us here), there is ALWAYS this tiny-tiny (or a bit larger if you are fortunate) room for decision-making. Always. I recognise that despite the fact that I want to PMO, I don't have to do it. I can take a walk, no one is putting a gun against my head, crying: "PMO or you'll die!".

7. This is very deep statement...
    Makes me think that I'm not a body, I'm a soul/spirit & that's makes me stronger to let go my strong urges.

8. lantti

lantti Fapstronaut

"":rolleyes:

I guess that's the prayer too. Just silently walking around and face looking like nothing is happening. But inside, oh, it's burning, it's in flames:mad:

I turned a girl down few years ago because I felt I was damaged and improper somehow. It hurted like hell. But it was the right decision. Because I was damaged. I still am. Now I know why.

9. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

I don't have a mantra... I have a potential punishment.

If I act on my urge, I have to confess it to my wife, a few of my friends and God.

The very idea of confessing fapping to my God and my closest friends are really scary for me.

10. pavloo91

pavloo91 Fapstronaut

In addition, it is very powerful to realise that every single urge passes. They do not linger forever. Now knowing it doesn't make an urge weaker, but it's easier to resist it.

AND it's good not to focus on noFap as your ultimate goal
    This is a negative motivation. In my opinion it's better to have a positive motivation (e.g. "If I don't fap, I'll be able to have a much more meaningful life", etc.). Have you tried positive motivation and it works worse for you than negative one? If so, good for you - go with what is best for you. But if you haven't maybe it would be good to try?

Marcel0404 likes this.
  11. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

I get my positive motivation from staying disciplined and self-controlled. Every single disciplined action supports each other. Below is a clear picture of how it works:

1. It's 04:30. The alarm goes off. Two choices: Get up or Snooze. Got up.
    2. Have breakfast or no breakfast? Had breakfast.
    3. Bible study and prayer or browse FB/emails? Bible study and prayer
    4. Get dressed and groom beard or faff around? Got dressed and groomed.
    5. Water whole day or fizzy drinks? Drank water whole day
    6. Nutritious leftovers from last night or fast food? Nutritious leftovers
    7. Cook from scratch for dinner or fast food? Cook from scratch
    8. Exercise or nothing? Exercise

Now after hitting all those disciplines... how motivated would I be NOT to fap? I'd say pretty motivated... because after such a day...

9. Get in bed with wife or fap? Get in bed with wife

Discipline equals discipline.

12. I agree. After reading a lot of comments on this website I found out: there are people living in a world of guilt and punishment and there are people longing for and living in a world of love, joy and happiness. I belong to group no. 2. ;)

pavloo91 likes this.
  13. pavloo91

pavloo91 Fapstronaut

Here you are definitely right. Discipline in one area of your life breeds discipline in other areas as well. It's as if discipline is yet another skill to learn, but this one is tremendously beneficial as it can be employed in every single aspect of your life.
    Every time I don't want to do something I have decided I'll do (take the stairs instead of a lift when I'm tired, do push-ups or take a cold shower) and I do it anyway, I feel a little bit more badass-y.

Andre2807 likes this.
  14. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

Haha im just talked to myself like :

Are u hungry ? Hmmp u want some dopamine ?
    Keep beging my brain,, cause u will not get it,,, sooon, i will be your king and youre my slave

Worked almost everytime haha

The_Monk likes this.
  15. The_Monk

The_Monk Guest

Hahaha..that's so badass...

16. Vilcox

Vilcox Fapstronaut

Since I usually masturbate when I am angry, if I'm not masturbating I am playing Stag Knight 2 or Indestructotank.

17. pavloo91

pavloo91 Fapstronaut

I recommend not trying to suppress the anger, but try to experience it and let it go away. Easier said than done, I'm just starting to feel my emotions, but I have an inkling that it's much better than trying not to feel them.

18. wake_up

wake_up Fapstronaut

You seem to have your stuff more together ;)
    Could you please write more details or link on how you do that.

I collected some stuff as well (down in my signature) but I can't relally implement it daily and I'm struggling in the last months, because my momentum is gone after a year ...
    I see meditation & self mastery is a key element in this journey, but how did you implement it daily ?
    I like you video, it's concise, but there is still seems something missing for me, on how to do that, a sort of an idiot-proof -or brainfog-proof- howto.

I'm on day 4 and the urges are killing me at the moment (as usual) ... :emoji_tired_face:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    ThomasV likes this.
  19. Sozboss92

Sozboss92 Fapstronaut

[QUOTE="
    "if you want something you never had before, you've got to be willing to do something you've never done before".[/QUOTE]
    This is the greatest thing I've read in a LONG time.