1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

anyone also give up alcohol ??

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Islanders190, May 27, 2017.

1. skydragonroar

skydragonroar Fapstronaut

Most of the men in my family are drunks. So I stay away from it. Maybe three or four drinks a year. I can't judge anyone else but to each his own.

2. LivinginRecovery

LivinginRecovery Fapstronaut

I quit drinking in January 2015 and I noticed friends just walking away from me really as if I was somehow a lesser person because I no longer imbibed alcohol. It's a strange phenomena because when I was drinking I remained largely the same person as I am when sober so am not sure why I was deemed unworthy of knowing when I stopped. I tend to avoid so called 'wet places' now because there is a weakness within in me for alcohol and getting blotto and that automatically limits my social life considerably.

vibemaker likes this.
  3. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

I heard from everyone who have stopped drinking whether it was through AA or whatever how once you stop drinking you more than likely will losing your friends who YOU drank with. or atleast the relationships with them will never be what it once was.for me my "friends" who I drank with like I mentioned earlier were drinking buddies nothing more. we had no relationship outside of the bar.
    this isn't the first time i tried quitting drinking but in the past i would go to events where I could possibly meet people and socialize. I went to 12 step groups, classes on spirituality in the city, etc.
    I hear you on the unworthy part. alcohol is so socially acceptable that it's almost weird if you don't drink. I like your username by the way!

QUOTE="FappingHasRuinedMyLife, post: 885040, member: 124294"]I quit drinking in January 2015 and I noticed friends just walking away from me really as if I was somehow a lesser person because I no longer imbibed alcohol. It's a strange phenomena because when I was drinking I remained largely the same person as I am when sober so am not sure why I was deemed unworthy of knowing when I stopped. I tend to avoid so called 'wet places' now because there is a weakness within in me for alcohol and getting blotto and that automatically limits my social life considerably.[/QUOTE]

vibemaker and WalkingForward like this.
  4. InfinitePossibilities

InfinitePossibilities Fapstronaut

I quit alcohol 11 months ago.

How:
    It was an unexpected side-effect after i finished my first round of "The Presence Process".

For me it's great. To live strong, conscious, as a grown up man, alcohol is not needed.

Rein likes this.
  5. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

whats the presence process ?

QUOTE="InfinitePossibilities, post: 885308, member: 124982"]I quit alcohol 11 months ago.

How:
    It was an unexpected side-effect after i finished my first round of "The Presence Process".

For me it's great. To live strong, conscious, as a grown up man, alcohol is not needed.[/QUOTE]

6. dico888

dico888 Fapstronaut

Pretty hooked on beer daily. Cut it back to 3/4 glasses every evening. Where 1 year ago I would drink about 12/16 glasses per evening (lets not start about weekends...)

Try to not drink some days, but luckily it isn't interfering with my PMO. Luckily I have 0 extra urge to PMO when intoxicated/drunk, probably because I have been drinking like this for many many years.

So save to say I'm an alcoholic, but aware of the problem and fixing it. Probably because of my friends, we all like to hang around and drink beer.. so that sometimes makes it harder to quit.
    I found quitting P to be 10x easier then to stop alcohol :confused:, unlike most.

Islanders190 likes this.
  7. every one has a hobby, your choice.. nothing wrong with it. it is good to be in good company. rather then being alone.

8. FriendlyGuitarist

FriendlyGuitarist Fapstronaut

Thankfully with my medical condition, I never got into alcohol.

9. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

I agree for me to trying to quit alcohol has been harder. it's like as soon as you step outside your triggered to drink. it can be very frustrating. 2013,20142015, I literally drank everyday I was full blown alcoholic. and 2016 I would drink once a week maybe twice but I knew I'm always an alcoholic. I would drunk text or message girls things that could get me into serious trouble. I would fall down outside,lose my phone, my wallet, spend everything I have. 2017 has been better but..... when I do drink I still create alot of chaoes in my life. I don't want it to be apart of my life anymore. I hear you on the friends, you might have to make a decision do I want to keep my friends and continue to drink and live the life I'm currently and have been living ? or do I want to change and remove the friends from my life and create the sober amazing life i always wanted?
    it might be be time for you to try to make new friends that have the same vision as you or people who want to make you a better person. I'm trying to do this right now

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  10. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

sometimes your in the company of others and you still feel alone

11. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

I met a friend of a friend once and this guy was allergic to alcohol. I never met a person who was before in my life ! I thought he was lucky but he would do weed,coke,Molly's etc to still get a buzz when he was out with his friends so he didn't feel left out. I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition but glad you never got into alcohol

vibemaker likes this.
  12. I agree.

13. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

@yukon you're telling that to someone who himself says he's struggling with alcoholism.

Alcohol can be extremely destructive for many people, alcohol can both ruin lives and end lives. @dico888 I'm not telling you or anyone else how to live, but don't ever let anyone drag you down.

Maybe spend time sober with your friends, sometimes at least. If they don't respect that, I would question the value of the friendship. This is all up to you though @dico888

vibemaker and Islanders190 like this.
  14. i am not talking about getting drunk. nothing wrong with I or two beers a day.

15. dico888

dico888 Fapstronaut

Haha it's no problem man. I know where I stand with my beer problem. I'm glad to be where I am now, I went in deep some periods.
    And yes, sometimes I indeed try to do that (being sober with friends), and luckily I have very good friends that understand that (sometimes they even have an alcohol-free evening)

Since I have been quitting PMO, I feel a stronger urge to drink beer by myself when alone (probably has to do with the reward system in the brain).

Exactly. I always make sure I have only 1 or 2 in my house, else I'll know where it leads :D
    Will be going to 1 this Friday and forth.

WalkingForward likes this.
  16. FriendlyGuitarist

FriendlyGuitarist Fapstronaut

Thanks bud, and wow I've never heard of being allergic to alcohol before. Mine is not too life threatening I suppose, I was born with just 1 kidney so alcohol would be quite bad for it :D

17. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

I think for dico and myself we are alcoholics alchol affects ourlives in a negative way so it's very difficult to drink just one or two beers because once you start you almost can't stop. In AA they say you stay sober by not picking up the first drink. If you pick up the first drink it's never just one drink your going to have. I think I'f people can drink a few beers here and there and it doesn't affect your life in a negative way go for it

QUOTE="yukon, post: 885512, member: 32093"]i am not talking about getting drunk. nothing wrong with I or two beers a day.[/QUOTE]

18. dico888

dico888 Fapstronaut

This is kinda what my therapist said who helped me with my alcohol problem back in 2016. After several failed attempts and relapsing back into alcohol, he gave me an ultimatum because "1 or 2 doesn't work for you, it's all or nothing". Unfortunately I picked the former and the therapy was over.
    However, last week I contacted him again and we are trying it again in 2 weeks (then the sessions start). I'm much more motivated right now, because I feel all the alcohol I use is contributing to my ED problem. And you would be amazed what I would give up to fix that, even 12 years of alcohol, although I never said it would be easy.

19. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

alcohol comes with one rule. drink responsibly. I can't even do that. I would suggest man try not to quit on therapy this time around. you don't want alcohol to take a few more years off of you before you decide again that you should stop. I listen to this at night when I'm sleeping to help reprogram my subconscious mind. my plan is to listen to it all of June. it's one my tools to stay sober.
    https://www.realsubliminal.com/product/alcoholism-addiction-treatment

like I looked at the calender and half the yesr is over !!! I did nothing special this year so far. all I did was drink or fap and hate myself. I don't want to waste the rest of this year. I hope by Christmas I will have atleast said i actually did something with the 2nd half of the year

20. Vilcox

Vilcox Fapstronaut

I've never been drunk. I think most alcoholic beverages taste piss, and I'm more afraid to lose control than for death itself.

dico888 likes this.